Second time milling.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willbarryrec

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well hope everybody is doing well!

I have had the chance to do a bit of milling and gathering logs here and there over the last few weeks and I thought I might post a few pics of such for ya'lls enjoyment.:msp_smile: (hopefully)

First I need to mention Mr Sachsmo's generosity in sending,at no cost to me the brackets I needed to finish copying his great mill design...As I noted in a past post I had the problem of my mill vibrating loose during a cut...well no more! now my mill looks like this and works great!
IMG_1121.JPG

Where as it used to have this setup on both sides and would vibrate loose..
IMG_1122.JPG

Well I first went off to get a few windblown trees just down the road that I had agreed to clean up the tops for the trunks...but when I got there a couple more trees had blown over as well...looked like this..
IMG_1105.JPG

Yep somewhere in there are a small (15") eastern red ceder and crooked (18") southern yellow pine...
IMG_1106.JPG

Ok there they are!
IMG_1107.JPG

Ok next post....

Cont..

There is a shot of the stems.

IMG_1109.JPG

And after about a tanks worth of cutting and piling brush I had this..

IMG_1111.JPG

Here's a better shot..

IMG_1112.JPG

Then I could back my truck underneath and then buck off a log like so ...
IMG_1114.JPG

A couple I had to get the end of the log up on the bed and then cut a roller and place it under the log and muscle it up and on..

IMG_1115.JPG

Cont..

This puppy I could just get one end up on the truck..it may not look all that big but I'm a little guy ( 5' 10" 135lbs):msp_rolleyes:

IMG_1117.JPG

So after putting way more effort into these logs then they are worth I made it back home and set to do a little milling using my truck as a log deck and rolling logs onto my handy saw horses..

IMG_1118.JPG

Another pic..

IMG_1120.JPG

Here's one of the SYP opened up..

IMG_1123.JPG

And the smallest cedar...

IMG_1127.JPG

Cont..

The SYP I milled to two by whatever I could get out of it...and the cedar I milled right to 3/4" as I was going to use it straight off the mill without planing it.

And here is what I built with the cedar!:laugh:

IMG_1132.JPG

IMG_1133.JPG

IMG_1136.JPG

IMG_1135.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

I will try to upload the video I took later today...got to get to work now!
Cheers!:D

Awesome results!!

Like the boards on the bed of the truck. Complete with scabbards for the saws!! But know the wood looks better then the truck, maybe a few cans of Krylon?

Question:
Those horses you have going on there. How much weight do you think they'll hold? I've got some just like it, but I'm thinking they might want to fold up on me with a 32" black walnut log!

Scott B

Looks really good , love the cedar on the truck. What are you planning on using to seal the boards? What saw is on the mill?

Beefie

Awesome results!!

Like the boards on the bed of the truck. Complete with scabbards for the saws!! But know the wood looks better then the truck, maybe a few cans of Krylon?

Question:
Those horses you have going on there. How much weight do you think they'll hold? I've got some just like it, but I'm thinking they might want to fold up on me with a 32" black walnut log!

Scott B

Scott I have a set too. Have had some pretty serious loads on em and they are as tight today as ever, that said I'm purty sure they're rated at 500 pounds each

Awesome results!!

Question:

Scott B

Ya now my truck needs sprucing up!:msp_biggrin:

At some point I am going to pull the cab and bed and sandblast/paint the frame and after that I plan on doing a little body work and painting the cab....It doesn't need all that much, no dents to speak of and just rotted out floor panels/bottem's of the doors.

Those horses will hold a surprising amount of weight...I have more problems with them sinking into the ground then overloading them.:D

What are you planning on using to seal the boards? What saw is on the mill?

Beefie

I think I will let the cedar dry for a month or so and then whatever is around or I can get cheap or free...:msp_smile:
Some type of clear finish regardless..

That is my 046 with a 28" bar on the mill...At the time of the pics being taken I was still waiting on parts for my Husky 2100...Now that I have that saw running I think I may get/make a mini mill and run the 2100 on the CS mill and the 046 on the mini mill.

Thanks for the kind words!:cheers:
I am going to try uploading a short and boring video now!:D

Let's see if this video works.

[video]https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3i1M5lP-mxptbUOl-D6lsShGG4ydeLM__MAfjZFp0qQ?feat=directlink[/video]

Well you have to click on the link but at least it plays after the page loads!

Last edited:
Let's see if this video works.

[video]https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3i1M5lP-mxptbUOl-D6lsShGG4ydeLM__MAfjZFp0qQ?feat=directlink[/video]

Well you have to click on the link but at least it plays after the page loads!
Thanks for posting the video.

That sure is some nice wood there, but it looks like you could really use a cross bar to act as a handle on that mill.

That sure is some nice wood there, but it looks like you could really use a cross bar to act as a handle on that mill.

Absolutely! I have the mill apart right and that is on the to do list.:D

Newbie here . hello neighbor I am learning from your experience and your posting . Great set up . love the woodwork on your truck . hello everyone and thank for this site, your presence and input .

Nice Job. Great Pics and video. The saw scabbards are nice to keep the saws from bouncing around to and from the site.
Look forward to more pics of your milling ventures.
:msp_thumbsup:

Lookin good. What year is the old Ford? Reminds me of my Dad's 78. He bought 2 new Fords that year, an F350 for him to run estimates in, and an F600 dump to wear me out in, Joe.

Newbie here . hello neighbor I am learning from your experience and your posting . Great set up . love the woodwork on your truck . hello everyone and thank for this site, your presence and input .

Welcome to the site, I guess I can call you a neighbor too, I'm up in Frederick MD. That's below the Mason-Dixon, so we're neighbors, Joe.

Back