Sell MS-260 and buy MS-261?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I use my MS-260 for light limbing, trail blazing, and small tree felling. I like its light weight, it's my preferred saw for doing anything over-head for sure. My 361, while an awesome saw, it a bit heavy for what I use my 260 for.

My only complaint about the MS-260 is that it could just use a bit more power...it's a tad anemic. Should I sell my MS-260 and but an MS-261...will I notice the power difference? It would be a no-brainer except that the 261 is heavier...and low weight is the only reason I own a 260 to begin with. Also, how is the strato-charging on the MS-261.....does that really increase the fuel endurance of the saw?

I use my MS-260 for light limbing, trail blazing, and small tree felling. I like its light weight, it's my preferred saw for doing anything over-head for sure. My 361, while an awesome saw, it a bit heavy for what I use my 260 for.

My only complaint about the MS-260 is that it could just use a bit more power...it's a tad anemic. Should I sell my MS-260 and but an MS-261...will I notice the power difference? It would be a no-brainer except that the 261 is heavier...and low weight is the only reason I own a 260 to begin with. Also, how is the strato-charging on the MS-261.....does that really increase the fuel endurance of the saw?

Well first off...if you sell the 260...you will incur a $$ loss!!
And then you buy a 261...you will pay a heavy premium $$

You will get only very minor power increase and the added
weight sucks IMHO!! But it will be more stingy with gas.

For overhead work...buying the 261...you're working against yourself!!

If the saw is out of warranty...you could do a muffler mod to
increase the power but it will be louder...it that matters to ya??

Hope this helps...
:cheers:
J2F

Yeah dual port the muff or open the existing hole! Its tiny, that alone will make a big difference. Or clean up the ports a bit then you'll love it. All pretty much free. If you sell it your gonna take a beating like 2fat said. Then you have to through down more dough. Don't get me wrong the 261 looks sweet I thought about buying one. But found a 026 pro cheap and I'm real happy with it. Even before I ported it, it was a strong little saw.

I own a 261, and I have run a 260/026 enough to be very familiar with one, my opinion is not based on speculation.

I love the 261, it is a stronger saw, is a real gas sipper and has the best air filtration of any saw on the market.....period.

Would I sell a perfectly good 260 to buy a 261, prolly not, unless I just had the extra cash laying around. As far as taking a beating on your current saw, I just don't see that happening. I've gotten top dollar on any Stihl I've ever traded that was in good shape. It all depends on the condition of the saw. The saw weighs what about 9/10 ounces more, it's not big deal. The anti-vibe in the 261 is a little better.

It just all depends on what you want. Will you gain power, yes.
Will you use less fuel, yes. Is the air filtration better, yes.
Is it a smoother saw, yes. Does it weigh more, yes.

I have found that a properly tuned, limiters pulled, 261 imho is a stronger feeling saw than a 310 stihl. I'd far rather have a 261 than a 290 or 310. Mine wears a 18" .325 bar, I used it and a 346 xp last week on a removal of a 32" ish cotton wood and I needed nothing more, it would be a great firewood saw for the guy cutting his own wood. I find myself picking it up almost as much as my 361.

You can always muffler mod your current saw and pick up close to 10% or you can send it to someone like Tlandrum and for 250-300 bucks you'll get a saw back that will prolly out perform your 361.

You got a good saw, one that will do the job for many years, but the 261 was put on the market for a reason, it takes Stihl's 50cc saw to a whole different level.

I would port the 260 if the only complaint is power. Porting is not nearly as intimidating as it sounds. A simple port job and open up the muffler can be done for nearly free if you already own a dremel and some hand tools. Its not hard!

Well, if you just must have a 261, go for it. But you CAN wake up that 260 pretty well, these are fairly artificially restricted saws these days. Do you have high and low adjustments? If so, get the dremel out and AT LEAST open up the muffler. That little fellow will definitely have some new zip. If you're willing to take things apart a bit more, some simple port work will get you further down the road. It may not ever run quite with a 261, but I think you'll still be pleased with the results... enough to decide to save your hard-earned money.

I've never felt like the amount of fuel my smaller saws is a deal breaker. None of them are what I'd call hogs. Over a day's worth of use, the difference MIGHT be a buck or two. Think of it this way... save the money you might spend on a 261 and put it towards fuel in your hopped-up 260. For the money you save, you'll be able to afford fuel on that 260 'till.. oh... the end of time. :D

Troll you simply need to get out more, actually use a saw, build up those little garter snake arms up to be python size and you wouldn't notice 9 or 10 ozs of weight. It's un becoming to complain about less weight than a single can of beer.
The additional power, better filtration, additional features like the captive bar nuts, better anti-vibe easily out weigh and piddly azz few ounces. You really don't realize how you negatively effect your credibility continually going to every 261 post bashing them without even running one, run one for a month and then bash all you want at least you'd have some time running a saw.

Troll you simply need to get out more, actually use a saw, build up those little garter snake arms up to be python size and you wouldn't notice 9 or 10 ozs of weight. It's un becoming to complain about less weight than a single can of beer.
The additional power, better filtration, additional features like the captive bar nuts, better anti-vibe easily out weigh and piddly azz few ounces. You really don't realize how you negatively effect your credibility continually going to every 261 post bashing them without even running one, run one for a month and then bash all you want at least you'd have some time running a saw.

It isn't just about total weight, but also how it is distributed - and they forgot that when they designed the 261. :msp_smile:

+ What's the point with a 50cc saw that is almost as heavy and bulky as the 60cc ones??

Gotta agree with sawtroll. I picked one up at my Echo/Stihl dealer the other day just for kicks and it's heavy and cumbersome for what you get. When I ran 260's I never complained about the sleekness of it, but this saw has none of that.

Gotta agree with sawtroll. I picked one up at my Echo/Stihl dealer the other day just for kicks and it's heavy and cumbersome for what you get. ...

That was what I felt as well, when I handled one, and it wasn't a surprice.....;)

Last edited:
I ran my ported 026pro along side my 200t in the trees today. I had a hard time putting the 026 down I was amazed the power I got out of that saw. I have never run a 261 but I'm happy with the amount I paid for the O26 and the free labor I put into it to make it go and go good. I will probably get a 261 at some point but having a great running light saw I'm not tempted to through down 5 bills for another 50cc saw. Its your decision ultimately but open up the muff at least maybe you'll reconsider for now.

I hear ya bro...Stihl n Wood....The 026 is just "da cheese"!!!
I'll own mine on my dying day...guaranteed!!!
J2F

Some of the slightly older saw's had some real good line ups. Ive never owned a 026-260, but can relate to the discussion, because I had pondered similar thoughts in the past with my good ole 044. Alot guy's I would run into thought the 046 was all there was, and to keep on point was there a difference after running several 046, and 460's I came to the conclusion that my 044 was still a great saw in good shape, and there was a slight difference in torque, not great or a world of differenc. So for me to sell it, and get maybe half of what a new 460-or ms 440sells for was not worth it for minimal gain. Besides I got the 660, and 2101. But I know the feeling of the go too saw, awesome power to weight ratio, balance, and in a lightweight package. I got to agree with the guy's that say keep it not worth selling it. I think the time to sell it is when you could get a very noticeable power difference with the same weight, not more. If you are going up in weight, I agree with saw troll in the weight gain, and also agree about the beer weight in weight difference, but if you are going up in weight unless you are going up for a more than just slight power gain, or a far superior saw, then dont mess around, and just go up cc class too while you are at it.

That's a few very good points there. I had a 026 five years ago and sold it when I got my 361. Then recently I was limbing with my 200t and Chungking down with it a ways and hauling my 361 up the tree. This got old fast so I looked at the 261 and said man that's expensive. Heck they wouldn't budge much on the remaining 260s they had in the front with the 261 in the back little sneaks. So I looked on Craigslist and found many mint ms260s for 250-275. And almost bought one called the Guy in all, he couldn't meet me for a day or two. In the meantime I found a beautiful 026 pro for short money and very happy not to have to haul my 361 up on the spar. The ported 026 held its own and then some and wasn't trying to rip my harness off me either. I only used my 441 twice today I was loving the bark of that little saw. The only other saw besides the 261 that has my attention is the 346xp, I've only heard great reviews of this saw being ported and that's exactly what ill do if I ever got one.

My point I was trying to make at the start of this thread was
like Norm said above...serious more power at about same weight!!

If dude sells for a $100 loss...assuming he can get that good a deal...
and buys a new 261 at a premium price...$100 +....
that's $200 to get a "maybe" 1/2 hp. !!!.....Not me...for sure!!!!!!
The 026 slim--trim--and powerful......261--wide--fat--but a bit more power.
(don't think it's been mentioned yet....but 026 had 3.5 hp)
At $200...or more...I'll let the 'youngbloods' have my share of 'em!!!
J2F

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back