Sell roundwood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treevet

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anybody sell roundwood? I have been selling split firewood for years but was wondering why I cannot mix some roundwood, seasoned of course, in with it. Kind of like putting a little bread in your meatloaf as an extender.

Anybody sell roundwood? I have been selling split firewood for years but was wondering why I cannot mix some roundwood, seasoned of course, in with it. Kind of like putting a little bread in your meatloaf as an extender.

There's no reason you couldn't as long as it coordinated with the size of the splits. Around here some people hate round and will split even small stuff but if I have small rounds I use them at night as they burn a bit longer than they would split.

There's no reason you couldn't ...... they burn a bit longer than they would split.

That is the key and I probably will just make a statement about it. Sometimes are all about "pretty" wood. If they don't want we will just toss it aside and blend it in another load or burn it myself.

Never had any complaints

Just make sure it's well seasoned and don't give them a whole load. I typically mix in some 3-5 inch rounds.

I'm also fortunate to have 1 long term customer with a very small old Jotul box stove that would take 2 cords of 2 to 3 inch, 14 inch long round wood every year if I had it.

A lot of the 4 inch and under stuff I leave in 3 to 4 ft lengths and give to my neighbor for his OWB. As he says, "beats sending the BTUs into the air without re-claiming the heat." Also easy for his wife to load smaller wood if he's not around.

If my neighbor didn't want them, I've piled the small rounds in 4 ft lengths, let them season, and advertised at say $25 a cord less with no delivery. The past two years a 2-3 cord pile has disappeared within 1 week of being advertised. It's pretty easy money as there is minimal handling, and in the late winter, early spring, true seasoned wood, in any shape, is usually difficult to come by around here.

Take Care

3" - 5" stuff doesnt get split usually if I intend to sell it. This is about the right size most my customers to want. I try to split most of what goes in there. It seems to dry faster and is easier for them to light. Of course when it gets late in the season and everybody is out of seasoned wood they have come by and asked to buy from my personal stack too.

Some from my stack is smallish, twisted and shorts. They dont seem to mind buying it for heat in Febuary.

Sell it

Fire + wood = firewood. Wood suitable for burning to produce heat.

With me, if I can pick up a hunk (split or round) from the end with one hand, then it is small enough. Just about every load is a "mixed" load. I have yet to find somebody who complains about it.

Some folks have rationalized this. "you don't have to split the smaller stuff, therefore it should be cheaper"! My answer is that it takes longer to cut all the little stuff up. Lots longer. Price is the same. Wood is wood. No whining.:buttkick:

-Pat

round is my fav... extends burn time

mine takes up to 24in rounds, but that's get kinda heavy....
prefer 12in rounds

I don't think you would have to many people reject the rounds, throwing some rounds in with some splits makes a great combo in my opinion.

round is my fav... extends burn time

mine takes up to 24in rounds, but that's get kinda heavy....
prefer 12in rounds

Agreed!

Some people want designer fire woodthey want it to look good in there carport as well as be funtional presicion lenths ect! :confused:

Agreed!

Some people want designer fire woodthey want it to look good in there carport as well as be funtional presicion lenths ect! :confused:

Designer wood comes with designer price? Right?

Isn't' that what bundled firewood is? Nice small splits suitable for a nice evening fire for ambiance.

Don

I think split wood catches fire easier, certainly anything without bark. As a home owner I always buck up anything over about 2'' when doing my own tree work. I refer to it as pre split. When I start a fire, I always carefully select split stuff. Once the fire is going, rounds even, with the bark, burn fine. The more you buck up, the less brush to dispose of. What else are you going to do with it?

I think if I was buying firewood, I would be realistic about accepting some rounds especially if the price was right. Unrealistic people drive up the prices for everybody.

With me, if I can pick up a hunk (split or round) from the end with one hand, then it is small enough. Just about every load is a "mixed" load. -Pat

:agree2:

I don't sell, but that's my rule of thumb. If I can't pick it up from the end with one hand, the wife will b1tch!

My experience is people complain about roundwood, even small. I have tried to mix one or 2 small rounds (under 3") per face cord (1/3 of a cord) and still get complaints. Even if the wood is 2 inches it gets split now. It burns the same, esp if it is well seasoned but people complain. Some people hate bigger pieces of wood, some people hate when you bring them larger pieces (even if it is well seasoned), "cause its too hard to get going". Some people if you bring them small pieces complain they burn too fast and they are always tending to the stove. You cant please everyone.

I like 6-8" rounds. They burn longer for me. I have lots that is split so starting the fire is easy. Anything less than
6" does not get split for me. I don't sell firewood but have friends who do and most people around here are fine with some rounds, but not 6" stuff.

I like round pieces myself, but have learned that when I sell to a new customer to not include any. Most new customers are tourist types who are as concerned about how it looks as how it burns. One of the first loads I ever sold about five years ago was to a guy like this. I had mixed in some rounds (like I would have if it was for me) under 5" and the guy rejected the whole load. I asked why and he said it wasnt all split and the "wood looked old". I said it had been cut a year and he said he wanted new wood. Strange... Anyway, I also sell to alot of people who buy to heat their home and they actually request rounds. So it all depends on the customer. I've learned to take all spilt at first, see who your dealing with, and then ask about rounds.

I like round pieces myself, but have learned that when I sell to a new customer to not include any. Most new customers are tourist types who are as concerned about how it looks as how it burns. One of the first loads I ever sold about five years ago was to a guy like this. I had mixed in some rounds (like I would have if it was for me) under 5" and the guy rejected the whole load. I asked why and he said it wasnt all split and the "wood looked old". I said it had been cut a year and he said he wanted new wood. Strange... Anyway, I also sell to alot of people who buy to heat their home and they actually request rounds. So it all depends on the customer. I've learned to take all spilt at first, see who your dealing with, and then ask about rounds.

I had a guy last year that his mom bought him a free load of delivered wood, look at it (like you) and say "that stuff is no good, it looks old". What a dope. Rather buy that new white stuff at the gas station. LOL

The more you buck up, the less brush to dispose of. What else are you going to do with it?
attachment.php

Round wood

More than half of all the wood I sell is round wood. I dont sell that much maybe 50 loads a yr. Most people I sell to and cut for, my father in law,
myself, all have big stoves thats all we heat with. As long as it fits in the stove we dont split it. All the wood I cut is dead and we never let our stove
go out so the bigger the wood the longer it last, anything under 14-16 inches
dosent get split!
:greenchainsaw:
Dolmar 6400
Jonsered 2050
Husky 450
Dolmar 5100

Latest posts

Back