Selling firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think delivering would be a good idea in my area of course pick-up also. and I'm really thinking about bundles at a small local gas station. A rack would be best to sell bundles on as opposed to just on the ground in front of the store? make it look better quality pride in my work sorta thing? and would it be best to have a little sign on the rack with my name and phone #? I read in uncles thread where they're putting small bundles of kindle in the bundle would that be necessary ? the trash from splitting and maybe some shreds from noodling would that be good for kindling.

There are many possibilities. You can sell your scraps as kindling or chips for smoking meats. I don't think a rack would be necessary for bundle business. You would have to work that out with the store. I would suggest putting your contact info on every bundle (business cards are cheap) and clarify that larger amounts of wood are available for purchase.

I think what I'll do is start cutting and splitting and stocking for the next burning season as opposed to the upcoming one. that'll give me time to get my act together. although I do think I have enough to seasoned wood to start the bundles now. and I can always find already downed trees that have already started drying. not rotted if course:laughing:

You make a good point there.

Firewood selling is primarily a seasonal business for the 'Average Joe' consumer. They don't even think about it until they need it and seeing it on the road will catch their attention (aside from the people who search for green wood or businesses that need a year-round supply such as restaurants). Even if you are not there, just a small stack of firewood (if someone takes that while you are not there then shame on them and you are not out any money) and a larger, visible sign with your phone number/contact info on it can increase your business. You may have potential customers driving that route everyday in a truck that would stop out of sheer convenience and not even shop around. When you do have time and if you have road access, by all means bring more wood to curbside or direct them to the wood lot and help load it to make sure they don't "hurt" themselves while you don't see them.

There are many possibilities. You can sell your scraps as kindling or chips for smoking meats. I don't think a rack would be necessary for bundle business. You would have to work that out with the store. I would suggest putting your contact info on every bundle (business cards are cheap) and clarify that larger amounts of wood are available for purchase.
How would cards stay dry? in the weather and what not. thank you for all you help!

Firewood selling is primarily a seasonal business for the 'Average Joe' consumer. They don't even think about it until they need it and seeing it on the road will catch their attention (aside from the people who search for green wood or businesses that need a year-round supply such as restaurants). Even if you are not there, just a small stack of firewood (if someone takes that while you are not there then shame on them and you are not out any money) and a larger, visible sign with your phone number/contact info on it can increase your business. You may have potential customers driving that route everyday in a truck that would stop out of sheer convenience and not even shop around. When you do have time and if you have road access, by all means bring a lot of wood to curbside or direct them to the wood lot and help load it to make sure they don't "hurt" themselves while you don't see them.
Thank you very good point! I have very good road frontage right on the hwy.

Yes, think big. You will have a steady demand from this and can sell year-round.
Thats definitely the way I'm thinking and I'm wondering how I'll get all this done with my regular job:dumb: I also do small engine repair on the side.

How would cards stay dry? in the weather and what not. thank you for all you help!

If you are saran wrapping them, they should stay fairly dry. if you are using twine, figure out a way to simply attach your card enclosed in a small plastic bag like you would get parts from a hardware store in or even small sandwich bags...maybe zip it up and staple it to one log. Staple on the plastic tab above the zipper as to not puncture the bag where the card is enclosed

Thats definitely the way I'm thinking and I'm wondering how I'll get all this done with my regular job:dumb: I also do small engine repair on the side.

You need to be as professional as you can when approaching businesses. Bring a sample of what you can offer them or give them a small amount to test out.

Thank you very good point! I have very good road frontage right on the hwy.

When the time changes (and when most average consumers are looking for firewood) and it gets dark early many people will be driving and coming home in the dark. Be sure to get a good spotlight to display in the mornings and the evenings. You can get a timer cheap (even from most dollar stores) that can turn on and off your light in the mornings and evenings. Then that will catch their attention to your contact info "Firewood For Sale" sign.

If you are saran wrapping them, they should stay fairly dry. if you are using twine, figure out a way to simply attach your card enclosed in a small plastic bag like you would get parts from a hardware store in or even small sandwich bags...maybe zip it up and staple it to one log.

I'm planning on shrink wrap so your right it probably would stay dry:dumb:

If you are saran wrapping them, they should stay fairly dry. if you are using twine, figure out a way to simply attach your card enclosed in a small plastic bag like you would get parts from a hardware store in or even small sandwich bags...maybe zip it up and staple it to one log.
If you can get plasticised cards you can punch a hole in them and run the twine through them.

You need to be as professional as you can when approaching businesses. Bring a sample of what you can offer them or give them a small amount to test out.
Yes! want to be as professional as possible and build a good reputation.
When the time changes (and when most average consumers are looking for firewood) and it gets dark early many people will be driving and coming home in the dark. Be sure to get a good spotlight to display in the mornings and the evenings. You can get a timer cheap (even from most dollar stores) that can turn on and off your light in the mornings and evenings. Then that will catch their attention to your contact info "Firewood For Sale" sign.
Excellent Idea ! that would have to come later on though as there is no electricity out by the road.

Yes! want to be as professional as possible and build a good reputation.

Excellent Idea ! that would have to come later on though as there is no electricity out by the road.

How many electrical cords would you need to run to get to your road frontage...?

If you can get plasticised cards you can punch a hole in them and run the twine through them.
I was thinking plasticised card would be best. also.

Be sure to hand cards out to people buying any size as well.
Yes definitely.
If your card is not too cluttered, you can advertise that as well...Firewood and small engine repair.
I was thinking that as well.:)

Latest posts

Back