Selling my first saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday was a good day.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I wish I had your $$$...Wait, you don't have any money anymore...

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Jon, I honestly prefer semi chisel non-safety chain for hedge, and I cut a lot of it. I put it on my 044 with a 20" bar and thats the hedger saw. It really dont cut that much slower for a firewood or farmer type application. I got pissed cause I was dulling my full chisel and threw on one of my loops of semi, and never looked back for hedge and mulberry. Its never clean wood, so semi chisel is suited perfectly.

I gave him a loop of each. I suspect he will soon see that the round cutters are more suitable for hedge.

Jason, what do you WOT tune the 361 to after the muff mod? 14K?

I gave him a loop of each. I suspect he will soon see that the round cutters are more suitable for hedge.

Jason, what do you WOT tune the 361 to after the muff mod? 14K?

Most of the 361 mods liked around 14k. I check them with a tac, then I fine tune them by ear, where they just burble. My current 361 I own seems happy at 13,800

Do you have osage orange (hedge) up your way? I suspect you do......It is a different kind of "plant." Hardest, hottest burning wood I have ever encountered. 20" is my ideal of a max for cutting hedge
It is listed as in Indiana and I would bet I run into it at least a time or 2 in small quanity in fence rows but I couldn't ID it without some outside info. I heard an Indian lady say her husband would find it here and there and used it for making wood arrows for reinactments or old time rondevous.
I notice white oak normally feels significantly harder then most anything else I cut and if it was all I cut a saw like the 034 super I used to run did pull a 20" with a lot less stress in the White Oak then 24".Black Oak ,pin oak or most anything else it pulled 24 or 25" with little difference then 20" without using more then 20" of the bar. I'd say black locust may be near the same hardness as white oak but I don't get a lot of it and its usually smaller then 15". White oak 20" to 30" isn't unusual but I would guess that 5 to 10% of my cutting.

Do you have osage orange (hedge) up your way? I suspect you do......It is a different kind of "plant." Hardest, hottest burning wood I have ever encountered. 20" is my ideal of a max for cutting hedge

I use 24"on my jred 2077. Just cut a 30 inch dia hedge that had been down 3years so it was pretty hard. With a sharp chain it chewed right through it but then you sharpened the chain so you know it was sharp. Let me know if you guys need help with that hedge row. I can never seem to keep my mother in law supplied with hedge.

First report

Well, the first report is in.........

Apparently this saw is "one cuttin' ßí†çH."
An interesting phenom, though. He said he cannot tighten the chains. The front adjuster moves the tab the entire travel, but the chain is slack. It is a Rollo E 20" 3/8 .050 (I put him in a low kickback bar to gain experience, and when he wears it out, we'll get him an ES), and maybe the narrower tip requires less bar length. The bar says 72 links, I may get him a couple loops of RM at 71 links. What do you guys think?

I went to the dealer here in T-town, and apparently the hedge is a dirty dusty wood, and the rivet holes have already hogged out. I can probably get away with one length reduction, but not two. Wish I could take a day off, throw a carbide on an 056 with 25" bar, and go cut sum hedge....

John, I re-tached the 361 yesterday, and it was taching at 14,800. Im an idiot, posted wrong number, and just caught it. 13,800 isnt awesome for a stock saw. I tune by ear, then check with a tach. 14,800 made her happy, just a burble of 4-stroke. I been running it that way for quite a while, plug looks good, and never any problem. BUT, that dont mean your saw will be the same (disclaimer)

Latest posts

Back