Selling my first saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I have spent the last year accumulating far more saws than I could ever reasonably hope to use up in a lifetime, and now the cycle is changing

I brought home two new saws today.... I will post pics later when I find the cable. a VERY expensive day for the ol teach. (When will I learn?)

A good buddy called me and needs a saw to clear out a mature hedgerow, and thengive to his dad who is tough as he11 but a little guy.

He asked about the relative merits of the 390 and 441, and I told him what I knew. Then I thought of my 038 Mag, which is a pristine specimen of a very durable mid size torque daddy. I think this would be a good saw fo rhedge, because it has torque, is very tough, and can take the strain. ALso it won't rev too high and burn the chain. SOme of these trees are almost three feet across, but he is not interested in an 056 mag (though I will likely use one when I help him on this project). So, I thought I would put a new 20" bar on this chugger and sell it to him for less than half what a 441 would cost him. (This really is a specimen, clear tank museum piece)

My question is: What chain would be best? I thought an E bar rather than an ES for lightness, and since it will be eating chains up, and you get about 5-6 chains per bar. I have both full chisel and semi-chisel chains, and I will include 2 chains, as well as a bar cover, a bottle of ultra oil, and a owners and service manual.

What think ye all on the B/C combo options?

uh oh.... a CAD victim starting to burn out...

Support group... put him back on track...

Oh yeah? Wait till you see my pics tomorrow! Very expensive day today....:clap::cry::clap::cry::greenchainsaw:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
You do know that it's inherent you'll get flamed for selling an 038 by everybody on here looking for a nice 038(about everybody) :popcorn::popcorn:

Yeah, but it's the right saw for the job, and he is a good friend. but he is NOT a chainsaw guy. He is a gun guy, and he has found me many good deals on rifles and such. Also, I have a nearly new 460, a nice running 044, and a never fired up 440. I think that niche is pretty well covered........

SO what do you all think about the bar and chain options?

Teacherman, the Giant supports you. Sometimes you just gotta move a few to make room for some more projects. Just a word of caution, though. The record is replete with stories of well-meaning AS guys selling a nice machine to a chainsaw rube who then brings it back within the week saying it won't start anymore. Oh, the gnashing of teeth that follows. The cases I remember from the recent past are Brad Snelling (056 or 045, I think) and Plantbiologist (forget what model).

A good dose of training and a VERY clear statment of who is responsible if the thing goes blooey should be made. Good luck with the sale!

Last edited:
Well, I have spent the last year accumulating far more saws than I could ever reasonably hope to use up in a lifetime, and now the cycle is changing

I brought home two new saws today.... I will post pics later when I find the cable. a VERY expensive day for the ol teach. (When will I learn?)

A good buddy called me and needs a saw to clear out a mature hedgerow, and thengive to his dad who is tough as he11 but a little guy.

He asked about the relative merits of the 390 and 441, and I told him what I knew. Then I thought of my 038 Mag, which is a pristine specimen of a very durable mid size torque daddy. I think this would be a good saw fo rhedge, because it has torque, is very tough, and can take the strain. ALso it won't rev too high and burn the chain. SOme of these trees are almost three feet across, but he is not interested in an 056 mag (though I will likely use one when I help him on this project). So, I thought I would put a new 20" bar on this chugger and sell it to him for less than half what a 441 would cost him. (This really is a specimen, clear tank museum piece)

My question is: What chain would be best? I thought an E bar rather than an ES for lightness, and since it will be eating chains up, and you get about 5-6 chains per bar. I have both full chisel and semi-chisel chains, and I will include 2 chains, as well as a bar cover, a bottle of ultra oil, and a owners and service manual.

What think ye all on the B/C combo options?
I wouldn't put anything less then 20" on it and probably a 24 " 8 tooth rim , (might be a toss up on 7 or 8 tooth rim with 24" dpending on size and hardness of wood,)if I didn't have a better saw to handle the 24" length. If I cut a lot of very big stuff wouldn't hesitate to mount a 28" preferbly with semi chisel skip tooth chain and a 7 tooth 3/8 set up.

Yeah, but it's the right saw for the job, and he is a good friend. but he is NOT a chainsaw guy. He is a gun guy, and he has found me many good deals on rifles and such. Also, I have a nearly new 460, a nice running 044, and a never fired up 440. I think that niche is pretty well covered........

SO what do you all think about the bar and chain options?

20'' bar with a few loops of rsc and maybe a Stihl filing set for 3/8 plus the Ultra if you really want to hook him up nice. :cheers:

uh oh.... a CAD victim starting to burn out...

Support group... put him back on track...

CAD seems to be like a drunken night on the town. There will be others who, after stepping away from AS for a while, will wake up exclaiming "What have I done?" At least chainsaws are easier to get rid of than expectant mistresses.

CAD seems to be like a drunken night on the town. There will be others who, after stepping away from AS for a while, will wake up exclaiming "What have I done?" At least chainsaws are easier to get rid of than expectant mistresses.

I would trade all my saws in a heartbeat for a good wife who would bear me many children. I can always make more money and buy more saws.......

I wouldn't put anything less then 20" on it and probably a 24 " 8 tooth rim , (might be a toss up on 7 or 8 tooth rim with 24" dpending on size and hardness of wood,)if I didn't have a better saw to handle the 24" length. If I cut a lot of very big stuff wouldn't hesitate to mount a 28" preferbly with semi chisel skip tooth chain and a 7 tooth 3/8 set up.

Do you have osage orange (hedge) up your way? I suspect you do......It is a different kind of "plant." Hardest, hottest burning wood I have ever encountered. 20" is my ideal of a max for cutting hedge

You're gonna regret this!! 038 mag, giving it away or selling it, gives you bad dreams. Reconsider and search you barn/workshop for an another one.

Lex

... Just a word of caution, though. The record is replete with stories of well-meaning AS guys selling a nice machine to a chainsaw rube who then brings it back within the week saying it won't start anymore. Oh, the gnashing of teeth that follows. The cases I remember from the recent past are Brad Snelling (056 or 045, I think) and Plantbiologist (forget what model).

A good dose of training and a VERY clear statment of who is responsible if the thing goes blooey should be made. Good luck with the sale!

Very good advice, I sure wouldn't want to sell used stuff to a friend!

Last edited:
Half of a new 441 equals $400. Dosen't hurt to do a friend a favor, it will be returned in the future.

That was the price. New bar, 2 chains, a scrench, a file, a manual, Madsen's carb instructions, a bottle of Ultra, and a WOT tach tune to 12K (max 12,500)
a full hour of instruction. He will be fine. The saw will kick a$$ for many years.

Jon, I honestly prefer semi chisel non-safety chain for hedge, and I cut a lot of it. I put it on my 044 with a 20" bar and thats the hedger saw. It really dont cut that much slower for a firewood or farmer type application. I got pissed cause I was dulling my full chisel and threw on one of my loops of semi, and never looked back for hedge and mulberry. Its never clean wood, so semi chisel is suited perfectly.

Latest posts

Back