Serious Business Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could be wrong (or it could be an optical illusion), but that cylinder looks a little small for 59 tons. When you run the numbers it looks like you'd need at least a 7" cylinder at 3000 PSI to achieve that kind of force. That cylinder doesn't look that big to me. Still a serious splitter though.

Last edited:
I could be wrong (or it could be an optical illusion), but that cylinder looks a little small for 59 tons. When you run the numbers it looks like you'd need at least a 7" cylinder at 3000 PSI to achieve that kind of force. That cylinder doesn't look that big to me. Still a serious splitter though.

Yeah it looks more like a 4" bore cylinder... 59tons is a bit optimistic. He might be running really high pressure but that's unlikely.

59 ton?- key board input error?, I do like the foot plate reinforcement. first I've ever seen addressing that issue of most v/h splitters. Looks to be way too high for comfortable use in horz mode. Never been a fan of cylinder hanging out in no mans land designs, too much stress on the cylinder walls for application in my mind (read mfg cost savings although marginal)

Upon a closer look, I see that it's a vertical loader. No log lifter needed, if you're handy with a cant dog.

Let's see, giving him credit for a 5" cylinder (I've got a 7" and that sure ain't one), to get 59 tons, he'd need 6000 PSI. There are systems out there that run that high, but $$$$$$$. Problem is, a 12.5HP motor is only gonna push a whopping 1.5GPM at 6000...I'd calculate the cycle time, but I forgot where I put my sundial.

Likely a typo in honesty. If he's like me and uses the number pad a lot, 5 is right above 2, and 29 tons is pretty beleivable. Still not my style though. H/V sux.

With a 5" bore at 1.5 GPM, his cylinder speed would be right around 17.5" a minute. Retract speed would depend on rod size, which I'm unsure of. Back when I built industrial hyd cylinders, I want to say we used a 3.5" rod for a 5" cylinder, which would put his retract speed right around 34 or so inches per minute. If the cylinder is built heavy enough it'll take 6000 psi no problem, we used to pressure test ours upwards of 10-15 thousand psi for pressure leaks. Its late so I don't recall forum policy on posting links to other webpages, but if anyone has interest, I have a webpage with a calculator on it for nearly any numbers one may need for a hydraulic system. GPM requirements, HP, RPM, tonnage, cycle rate, etc. I use it all the time to trouble shoot my systems.

Steve NW WI,

Do you have that 7" cylinder on a log splitter? If so, got a pic? I'd like to see that. I put a 5" Prince on my home build and thought that was a pretty serious cylinder, but last night I got looking at some 6" and even an 8" cylinder for sale online. The immediate problem I see with building something that big at home is the mount for the cylinder. It's fairly simple with clevis style cylinders to use a hole saw to drill the pin block, but it looks like 6" and bigger it's a different style mount that requires two pin blocks (one on each side) on the pusher and in the rear, and that might get tricky to keep everything lined up and drilled straight for a garage project. What I did with mine was set the cylinder in place with the pin block already welded onto the pusher, leveled the cylinder to locate the clevis up and down, locked everything down with clamps, then ran the hole saw right through the clevis using the clevis as a guide for the drill. Looking at the mounts on bigger cylinders, I'd have to think about how to approach fabricating the front and rear blocks for the pins. More than likely I'd end up sending the pin blocks out to be professionally drilled and machined. Hard to believe the paint's barely dry on my "project" and I'm already trying to figure out how to upgrade.

Last edited:
I'd like to see someone email him and ask how he arrived at that tonnage. Misrepresenting something like that should be illegal.

According to my calculator page, a 7" cylinder at 3000 psi would get 57 ton. Rod size would dictate the pull force, and how well it could deliver that force without buckling of course (Depending on stroke length.) Now, my calculations are from a hydraulic supply webpage, so take them with a grain of salt. Been too long of a day to hunt down the old machinist handbook and find the equasions to do it on paper.

I'd like to see someone email him and ask how he arrived at that tonnage. Misrepresenting something like that should be illegal.

If you guys will go back and read this thread, you will see that the 59 ton comment (with a smiley), was posted by someone
other than the person that started the thread. I thought it was a joke when I read it the first time. I still think it's a joke.

Steve NW WI,

Do you have that 7" cylinder on a log splitter? If so, got a pic? I'd like to see that. I put a 5" Prince on my home build and thought that was a pretty serious cylinder, but last night I got looking at some 6" and even an 8" cylinder for sale online. The immediate problem I see with building something that big at home is the mount for the cylinder. It's fairly simple with clevis style cylinders to use a hole saw to drill the pin block, but it looks like 6" and bigger it's a different style mount that requires two pin blocks (one on each side) on the pusher and in the rear, and that might get tricky to keep everything lined up and drilled straight for a garage project. What I did with mine was set the cylinder in place with the pin block already welded onto the pusher, leveled the cylinder to locate the clevis up and down, locked everything down with clamps, then ran the hole saw right through the clevis using the clevis as a guide for the drill. Looking at the mounts on bigger cylinders, I'd have to think about how to approach fabricating the front and rear blocks for the pins. More than likely I'd end up sending the pin blocks out to be professionally drilled and machined. Hard to believe the paint's barely dry on my "project" and I'm already trying to figure out how to upgrade.

Sure do. It's a "rehomed" CAT cylinder (and the pump that runs it), one of Dad's buddies built this thing back in the 70s, not sure exactly what it's off, or what the pump puts out for pressure. Let's just say it's enough :hmm3grin2orange: 45HP Farmall runs it well, a 30HP tractor will stall out in real tough going. Note the size of the lines going to/from the valve, 1" pressure lines, and 1 1/2" feed line. Standard splitter valves will make real slow going. Why do you need more tonnage? 5" should split any wood around.

Here's the pic:

236601d1335938960-p1010869-medium-jpg

If you guys will go back and read this thread, you will see that the 59 ton comment (with a smiley), was posted by someone
other than the person that started the thread. I thought it was a joke when I read it the first time. I still think it's a joke.

No...... its in the actual CL ad.

Compare the size of the rod to the size of the pins holding it on, also other parts of the splitter can be compared to each other to "guesstimate" the size of the cylinder. If it's a 7" cylinder then he also has 2" pins, 2" hoses etc.
I suspect either a typo by a well intended fellow wood burner or it's a politician selling the splitter.

I just bought a splitter that has a 5x24 inch ram, a single stage pump, and an early 75 hp Pinto engine (1600cc). I cut a few pieces of hard stringy elm that any of my Mauls couldn't touch and at Maximum pressure just before splitting I got 1500 psi at 2200 rpm on the worst stuff. Most cuts were at 500 psi and 1200rpm high idle. The stuff was so hard and nasty I think I'd have broken or bent the ram on a smaller splitter. I had to drive 340 miles to get it (Craigslist), but only paid $1500 and it's professional quality. I'll try to post a picture and video this weekend.

Back