Sharing a shop or work space with family?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2wheels

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
How many of you guys share a shop with your friends or family. when you return things are not as you left them. I work in a family owned auto repair part time. An it never fails that my father (semi retired 70 yrs old) has to inspect or move my parts that are waiting for reassembly.

Over the weekend I had my Homelite 330 with bad oil system apart for inspection.
The bronze vent filter and duck bill came up missing. Now I have to hunt parts.

He said he was just cleaning the bench.

I know it doesn't do any good to dwell on it, but I guess I had to vent to someone

I have my own garage now and don't have a problem there.....when it is gone or missing I am the one to blame. I do have a little workbench in the basement and the cats occasionally carry something off to play with - they seem to like the nylon wire ties and plastic hole plugs.

When I was young and living at home my father always blamed me for losing his tools. When I moved away I figured he would soon find out that I was not losing his tools.....he was losing them. As it turned out he just started blaming my mother!

Last edited:
IVe got a long wodden work bench in my garage, and a 3x3 welding table, BOTH are mostly covered in kids junk, so I have to fight for space!

I learned to ziplock bag, and label, and toss stuff in a BOX when im done with it, otherwise, its LOST to the abyss.

You have my sympathy, loosing stuff makes me angry, and I loose MANY things.

Ohh man what a subject for me to get lost in... I have four kids,wife,mother in-law,and sister in-law under the same roof.......:cry: .....I gave up my pole barn for a bigger house so work space is at a premium around here......any projects need to be completed in one sitting....or reassembled while waiting for parts so things don't 'walk away'.......

I don't really know? lol.......Keeping busy hunting,fishing,cuttin' wood,a little alchohol sedation......there's always a constant hum of activity around my house....:dizzy:

I'm quite content being single at a ripe old age. My truck stays outside to make room for a nice little heated (when I plug in the heater) garage with a pretty decent work bench. My stuff doesn't walk off like my dad's stuff used to back in the day. And if I do ever wake up one morning with a huge hangover and a ring on my finger, I have a 12X20 work shop out back, which I used to really enjoy working in, until I started seeing these photos of drunken, naked loggers with chain saws. Since then, I have come to find the true ecstasy of working on chain saws... in my underwear.

I've gotta get a life.....

Last edited:
i know what you all mean... missing parts are the worst.

i once worked for a family business, had my own tools (expensive tools, and lots of them). The owner was too tight to buy testing equip, so i used mine as i had the lot. I had to lock everything, as id discover over the weekend people had been through and used / not replace things or broken them and put them back without telling me.

although, this all came to a stop one day. left the tool cabinet unlocked, working away, turned around and saw one of the bosses family members going through my tool cabinet looking for something. i picked up my 3lb hammer i was using and threw it at him at 100mph (missing intentionally) but cracking the tin wall next to him. it made such a noise, which was followed by a few loud expletives on my part. everyone turned in silence.

from then on, they all asked if they could borrow my tools rather than just take them... try it, it really works!

There was a time when I thought I was going insane loosing screwdrivers, small torpedo levels, tape measures inside the house. I would ask my son (5)if he had seen any of the tools and it was always a blank stare in return. I eventually discovered that the plastic Little Tykes workbench in his room was fully stocked with Craftsman tools. I couldn't help but laugh a little, at least he likes to work with good tools!

My dam brother in law is a computer nerd, and has computer crap all over my work bench next to my saws. I could burn that crap everytime I walk into the garage. We have had words over it last time I was home, next time it will get burned. I really don't like him, jacka**. He also ruined a perfectly good pair of chaps to see if they really "worked". ON PURPOSE! He almost got knocked out over that. I hate sharing air, let alone my workbench with him.

Ohh man what a subject for me to get lost in... I have four kids,wife,mother in-law,and sister in-law under the same roof.......:cry: .....I gave up my pole barn for a bigger house so work space is at a premium around here......any projects need to be completed in one sitting....or reassembled while waiting for parts so things don't 'walk away'.......

Too much estrogen for me. :popcorn:

My dam brother in law is a computer nerd, and has computer crap all over my work bench next to my saws. I could burn that crap everytime I walk into the garage. We have had words over it last time I was home, next time it will get burned. I really don't like him, jacka**. He also ruined a perfectly good pair of chaps to see if they really "worked". ON PURPOSE! He almost got knocked out over that. I hate sharing air, let alone my workbench with him.

Pick up a cheap electric fencer for about $20 -$25 bucks and defend your space. You can wire it so that if your bil touches anything metallic on your bench he will get his a$% lit up. Put a DO NOT TOUCH sign on it and I will guarantee you he touches it. Sounds like he could use some good aversion therapy. Just remember to unplug the fencer yourself. This may not be a good idea if any of the parties involved has a pacemaker, btw. :D

Pick up a cheap electric fencer for about $20 -$25 bucks and defend your space. You can wire it so that if your bil touches anything metallic on your bench he will get his a$% lit up. Put a DO NOT TOUCH sign on it and I will guarantee you he touches it. Sounds like he could use some good aversion therapy. Just remember to unplug the fencer yourself. This may not be a good idea if any of the parties involved has a pacemaker, btw. :D

Forget the fencer, hook it directly to 110, or 220 would be better.

Back