Sharpening a square chisel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironworker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Bought a square chisel to see what they're about and would like some info on hand sharpening. Do those triangle shaped files work?

Bought a square chisel to see what they're about and would like some info on hand sharpening. Do those triangle shaped files work?

sort of ,but they do not do a good job on the side plate in my opinion ,i like the 6 sided flat file myself ,do you know how to hold the file ? or what angle to hold it at ?

I started off using the "triangular" Pferd file, and like it. I've tried the flat file a bit and it seems awkward, but I plan on giving it a real chance the next time I have to dress the chain. I suspect there is a large element of being more comfortable with what you got used to first.

this is a cutter done with a 6 sided file hand filed square 1-14-14 014 small.jpg

this is rough angle i use to hold the flat file ,the bottom of the file is lightly grazing the tie strap to get my angles ,and with square you file outside in to get the corner lined up square file 11-8 008.JPG

this is a cutter done with a 6 sided file View attachment 353427

this is rough angle i use to hold the flat file ,the bottom of the file is lightly grazing the tie strap to get my angles ,and with square you file outside in to get the corner lined up View attachment 353428
Why is that called a 6 side when I only see 4. Are you sharpening both sides of the cutter with each stroke.

Why is that called a 6 side when I only see 4. Are you sharpening both sides of the cutter with each stroke.

6 sided or also sometimes called double bevel chisel. Yes, you sharpen both the top plate and side plate with each stroke.

WP_20140318_15_57_29_Pro_zps3a08bc7a.jpg

What happened to your thumb Brian. I bet that hurt.:oops:

Did a stupid last week ,shut my thumb in my pickup door ,felt better after i dug a hole in the nail with a razor blade to drain it ,to top it off shot a nail with a nail gun sunday ,it hit something and bent and went in the finger next to it ,was only a 15 gauge though ,thumbtack sized nail ,only went 3/4 inch through before it popped out the other side :laugh:

I had to order a piston from Bailys so I ordered a couple of those files, yesterday I sat down with a .325 on a 16" bar that had been round filed and changed it to square, I thought it was easyer than rnd fileing, I haven't put it to wood yet tho.

John

I had to order a piston from Bailys so I ordered a couple of those files, yesterday I sat down with a .325 on a 16" bar that had been round filed and changed it to square, I thought it was easyer than rnd fileing, I haven't put it to wood yet tho.

John
I think you'll enjoy playing with it John...
You should have a couple dandy's by the time the Grantsburg races roll around!!

Iron, I am the amateur here at this, but perhaps that means I can help (just learned it recently myself).

Most all the files used for square file are 6 sided (except the goofy). I'm using the PFERD Chislel Bit Three Square (Looks like a triangle file with flat corners). Perhaps I'll graduate to the Chisel Bit Flat like Brian, but not yet, my files resembles a round fie.

Study the sharpening angles in the Madsen's website. (I'm using Stihl RSL or RSLK I think they are the same).

As Brian & mdavlee stated, you file from the outside in, instead of the inside out. I try to picture both the top plate angle and side plate angle as being 45 degrees. (which will result in an outside top plate angle of about 20 degrees).

Holding the file at about 45 degrees for both cutters, make sure the corner of the file stays in the corner of the tooth and that the wider side of the file is flush with the top plate (no gap). As you stroke, in addition to going straight, put slight pressure toward the corner. Following the original angles is the best way to learn.

I hope this helps, and if any of you guys with more experience have any additions or corrections to what I have stated, please post them. I think I'm doing it right, but I'm just learning.

Latest posts

Back