Sharpening Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At first I was going to say 'he got his money's worth!'. Look how worn the cutters are, but notice that there is little wear or peening on the tie straps, drive links, etc. Looks really well taken care of.
But . . . the cutters don't look like ones that were worn out. Where is the top plate? Any chance that this could this have been a chain that was modified for ripping? Those guys some times grind off the top plates, and use it like scratcher chain.

Phlbert

Nope, this was a standard chain. The tops of the cutters are gone. No idea what they were cutt......er.....trying to cut.
Just to be clear, this was done by someone who works for my buddy. Probably the same one who ran his 028 WB on high idle with the chain brake on and totally fried the cover, oiler gears, clutch drum, etc. I think I'm going to recommend he just buy a dozen or so Wild Things and throw them away at the end of the day.

Actually, losing cutters is common on that .043 ga. chain, but I have never seen all of them gone before.

The saw must have been loaned out to a brother-in-law....

Wow!
What he cut with that saw? Steel?
"I've only been sharpening my own chains for a few years now......"
That's a joke, right?
Yeah, just wanted to get everyone's attention. No idea what they were cutting. The clutch cover was gone and I haven't looked any further yet. I'm guessing it was doubling as a stump grinder.

Latest posts

Back