Sharpening saw chain with a Dremel?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I will continue to file my good chain by hand. But for a crappy chain on a crappy bar that's used for cutting stumps off below ground, would I be OK using a Dremel, with a 7/32 saw sharpening bit? If so, what is a good Dremel variant to look for? So far, the 300-N/25 looks pretty good. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I have a 12 volt set up with a guide for doing saw chain, from Stihl although I am sure somebody else makes it. I take it when out cutting for emergency's in case a chain gets hammered and must be touched up beyond what a file will do. And before you ask I take an extra chain as well, but you never know.
here is the link:
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/acc_filing.html#12volt

attachment.php

I have the OREGON equivalent to the sharpener Stihl#1 has. Have had it for years and use it quite often. Stones are available for cheap through Northern Tool.
Mike

I use the dremel and like it. I bought the attachment too, but now I just buy the Stihl stones at the dealer. They fit and are the same price for 3 as one dremel stone is at the borg.

Ive tried files and didnt really care for them. I touch up my chain after every day of cutting. Every time I go out my chain is sharper then the file or grinder guys chains.

Good friend got his chain back from the dealer and it cut alright so I offerd to let him touch it up with the dremel. He came back 20mins later and it was a whole different game.

Theres alot of ways to do anything I suppose and so far the dremel is mine.

I have tried out the entire range of sharpening gadgets and techniques. Every one of the methods gives good results if done correctly. I started using dremel with diamond bits for sharpening carbide tipped chains. This is now my preferred method to put the very best edge on standard chains. The tool should be slowed to 5000 rpm or thereabouts. If your dremel is not variable speed, then get a variable speed controller. Harbor Freight has one that is good for tools up to 15 amps. I rigged up a foot switch. Use a good light up close to the chain. The carbide bit never gets too hot to touch. I use a fan to blow away the dust. I clamp the bar in a woodworkers vise. I used an old rim sprocket with a ball bearing inserted which is attached to a weight. This lets me advance the chain and keep it under some tension.

I know there's a few here on AS that won't use the Dremel to sharpen with, but I happen to like it - it's fast and works very well for me, and if you use the diamond stones you don't get all the heat that you do with the regular stones. The local "dealer" (if you want to call him that...) gets $8 to sharpen a chain! No thanks, I'll just use my little Dremel - VERY happy with it!

I have a 12 volt set up with a guide for doing saw chain, from Stihl although I am sure somebody else makes it. I take it when out cutting for emergency's in case a chain gets hammered and must be touched up beyond what a file will do. And before you ask I take an extra chain as well, but you never know.
here is the link:
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/acc_filing.html#12volt

attachment.php
OREGON MAKES A SIIMLAR TOOL

Dremels with the attachment work good. Get a power inverter and you can use it off your truck/tractor 12V battery. I only use it on my mill so I do not have to worry about bar set up issues if I take the saw off for hand sharpening.

How easy is the Dremel attachment to use at 25 degrees? Do you just mark on a different sight line?

Just wanted to comment on what Mad Professor said about using an DC- AC inverter. In my experience I wouldn't recommend using a variable speed dremel with a modified square (sine) wave inverter (the typical ones that are sold). I burned up 2 dremels by powering them with an inverter like that. 1st time thought it was a fluke, but 2nd time confirmed it. Seems the speed control that dremel uses just don't jibe with that type of waveform.

A "true" sine wave inverter would work swell with that kind of dremel, but they're much pricier.

I have had much better luck using my non-variable (single) speed dremel with the modified wave inverter, however. No probs. at all, actually.

Last edited:
Anyone used the cordless rotary tools?

I am a big fan of using the dremel/rotary tools to sharpen chains but I would like to find one that I could take into the woods. I might buy the Granberg/Stihl version but I wouldn't mind getting a battery powered one that I could use for other tasks around the house.

Just wanted to comment on what Mad Professor said about using an DC- AC inverter. In my experience I wouldn't recommend using a variable speed dremel with a modified square (sine) wave inverter (the typical ones that are sold). I burned up 2 dremels by powering them with an inverter like that. 1st time thought it was a fluke, but 2nd time confirmed it. Seems the speed control that dremel uses just don't jibe with that type of waveform.

A "true" sine wave inverter would work swell with that kind of dremel, but they're much pricier.

I have had much better luck using my non-variable (single) speed dremel with the modified wave inverter, however. No probs. at all, actually.

+1000.....don't do it....it blows out the variable speed transistors

The single speed dremel is kind of too fast for practical chain sharpening though....and what ever power head you use use cool grind to help keep the stone from overheating and burning the cutter

Latest posts

Back