She Did It!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawaddict

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Gracie my three year old german shepherd is officially a firewood sled dog!

I've been meaning to get her started all winter, but finally hooked up the harness this morning. We loaded the sled first with just a few split logs, nothing heavy, just wanted her to get the idea. after about three trips with me walking beside her, she started beating me to the woodshed. We added a bit more weight. I kept encouraging her. Now she's loving it. Its a race to the shed! We probably carried 1/4 cord this morning. I let her quit early, didnt want to burn her out on it.

Ill try it a couple more times around the house here, then its off to the woods!

Nothing is more fun that having fun with a good dog that wants to please!

You've got me thinking....

I wonder if my blacklab\blue healer would like to pull? She's attached to my hip, if the truck is running she needs to be in the cab or running beside or in front (death wish dog!) She's a good girl but can be a bit of a pest when I'm busy. She won't bit you, however, she might lick you to death! :)

Dan :greenchainsaw:

attachment.php

I wonder if my blacklab\blue healer would like to pull? She's attached to my hip, if the truck is running she needs to be in the cab or running beside or in front (death wish dog!) She's a good girl but can be a bit of a pest when I'm busy. She won't bit you, however, she might lick you to death! :)

Dan :greenchainsaw:

attachment.php

give it a try.

Gracie is only about 75 lbs, so im not making her pull too much. Definitely not more than I could carry. Right now anyway. even with about the equivalent of three decent 12" ash rounds she has a hard time getting the sled started.

There are a few places where I cut that i cant get the pickup close to the fell trees. So I do a lot of carrying, I figure if she cuts my trips back to the pickup in half she will earn her keep.

give it a try.

Gracie is only about 75 lbs, so im not making her pull too much. Definitely not more than I could carry. Right now anyway. even with about the equivalent of three decent 12" ash rounds she has a hard time getting the sled started.

There are a few places where I cut that i cant get the pickup close to the fell trees. So I do a lot of carrying, I figure if she cuts my trips back to the pickup in half she will earn her keep.

What kind of harness are you using? I can understand the difficult time getting started with the lack of snow.

Cinder is around 60-65 lbs ~ 7-8 years old. She loves to chase any thing that will run from her ie.. rabbits, birds. She will ignore other dogs for the most part. She doesn't chase cars (I wonder what the dogs are going to do with the car when they catch it?) She'll fetch a ball but has NO interest in chasing a stick. She's been sprayed by a skunk twice.

Dan

What kind of harness are you using? I can understand the difficult time getting started with the lack of snow.

Cinder is around 60-65 lbs ~ 7-8 years old. She loves to chase any thing that will run from her ie.. rabbits, birds. She will ignore other dogs for the most part. She doesn't chase cars (I wonder what the dogs are going to do with the car when they catch it?) She'll fetch a ball but has NO interest in chasing a stick. She's been sprayed by a skunk twice.

Dan

Im using a leather tracking/pullng harness, but i would get the icelandic pull harness from blackice.com if i had to do it over again. i still plan on buying that harness(thanks reaperman). also I just am using a plastic tobaggan sled.

I started a thread on here a couple months back and got a lot of good advice and pictures.

For me it started when I would take her cutting wood and she would carry whatever she could in her mouth back to the pickup. She just started doing it on her own. Thats when i decided i needed to get this dog a sled.

Generally if a dog will fetch a ball you can teach it almost anything as long as you stay patient. If she fetches well, she has two good traits. A possesive trait and a willingness to please and work for her master.

I have 2 boxers. They can pull the world. However, they're too retarded to understand anything I would tell them. They're just 2 big ol' clowns.

I have 2 boxers. They can pull the world. However, they're too retarded to understand anything I would tell them. They're just 2 big ol' clowns.

hook a sled full of wood to them, itd definitely slow them down

boxers are good pullers from what I hear.

My wife and I run a St Bernard rescue in Wisconsin. 2 years ago we had a surrendered male named 'Dozer'. That boy weighed 205 and could probably have pulled my car out of a ditch. His adoptive family have trained him in competetive weight pulling.

Dave

Meka is a timberwolf/husky mix and she pulls like freight train and loves it too. I've had her tow me on ski's many times and she does that with no problem (225 lbs) What type of a harness are you using?

wow fellas...pretty rough.

Ill take some pics when we do it again in the morning. 'till then, youll have to wait.

:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back