Sherrill Big shot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I'll keep my bigshot in my toybox. Did you know a large Dominoes pizza w/ all the toppings only cost about $2.50 but we pay almost $20!:p

According to Mike Oxman, that EZ Hang is poor quality and overpriced. The reel is worthless, has too much drag. Same as the one Sherril sells, no good.

This is the hot ticket,but you gave to modify it to mount a reel. the Marksman Laserhawk, under $30. Mike and Dan Kraus both already have one. 110 foot shots, no problem.

http://www.theoutdoorworld.com/products/specs/3070.htm

New Tribe has new 1 oz throw weights for the slingshot.

you can get something similar to that at walmart for about $10.00, I want one of those Gadgets that Batman has on his wrist. :D

Later,
David

5 gallon bucket.

You can stuff the line in there any old way, and it pays out perfectly. Since the bucket has a smooth interior and a wide mouth, there's no abrasion that affects distance. The mouth of the bucket is high enough to avoid any twigs around the line. When you detach the big shot from the pole, it fits in the bucket. now you have your whole operation in one durable package with a handle. The price is right too.

See! Ice fishing and tree climbing really are related.

I finally went over to Vermeer and picked up a big Shot yesterday! After about throwing my arm off Friday. Wow I love The Thing Wish i'd have had it
when i was a kid for Rock fights!What Weight Bag
Do you think works best?

12 ounce with light line will get you up 100 feet plus. 14-16 ounce if you have rough crotches and are worried about the line returning. The new Zing It is the best line, comes in two sizes. The smaller size should allow a 12 oz to come down from all but the worst frictiony ctorches. 60-80 feet w/16 oz, 80-100 w/14. 140 with 8 oz, but i've never used it.

Fly lite breaks too easily, so you have to be gentle with it.

Zing-It with a 10 oz throwbag from New Zealand gets me up to the tops of any tree in Minneapolis.

With mine I can hit a one foot diameter target repeatedly at seventy feet. I shoot it like a shotgun from my shoulder. When I put new rubbers on I didn't get them pulled down exactly even. This results in having a pull to the left. By watching the throwline track, like tracers, I've been able to adjust my shots to allow for the windage. After you shoot, don't move until the line drops into the tree. By staying in position you imprint the view of the line in your brain and its easier to duplicate the shot.

Try using a tiny hydraulic quick coupler for a trigger. Super tough.

The record, according to Tom Ness, for a line set is 290 feet with a compound bow.

Any body use spud guns for setting bags?

Tom

I know this is a late entry, but I can't help responding. I wouldn't be without a big shot. I'm on my third set of bands as well and have learned to be more careful which side I set it down on when not in use. Also started carrying it in a protective pouch in the truck.
At times when wood conditions are unpredictable and I'm felling trees to target areas I'll shoot a line up into a safe crotch, run it down the stalk, and tie it off above where I'm going to cut. The other end gets a capstan winch, and if necessary a redirectional pulley for safety. This provides a little more safety for windy days.
For shot lines and bags I use several different kinds depending on height and bark conditions. Lighter lines will travel farther but do have a tendency to hang on rough bark or cut into soft layers. If I have to use a lighter line I will pull a heavier line up prior to attempting to pull any weight first. And I've learned never to attempt any shots near power lines. The range was much more than expected.
Have fun with your new investment.

Originally posted by rbtree
Eagle hardware, now Lowe's, has a quick release that works fine, for about $5. wouldn't be without it for the over 60 foot shots.

Best to have one eight foot pole, rather than two fours, it makes it easier to slide the snap (attaches to pole via prussic) down the pole.

I remembered this release I bought a few years back. Went down to the local hardware store and priced it. $3.50. I had originally bought it for a safety release on my saddle about seven years ago. I do not use it to climb on all the time just when I need a quick release in the case of a spar failure. I can’t believe I have not thought of it before as a Big Shot release snap. I tried it out and it works great. I still keep it handy to use on the end of my lanyard when climbing dead trees.

Originally posted by Tim Gardner
I remembered this release I bought a few years back. Went down to the local hardware store and priced it. $3.50. I had originally bought it for a safety release on my saddle about seven years ago. I do not use it to climb on all the time just when I need a quick release in the case of a spar failure. I can’t believe I have not thought of it before as a Big Shot release snap. I tried it out and it works great. I still keep it handy to use on the end of my lanyard when climbing dead trees.

Thanx, Tim!

Hey David, Brian Cooke here. I've just recently started lurking/posting here. Saw your post about the big shot. I have one and love it. I solely climb SRT and would not be without the big shot. RockyJSquirrel told me recently that you live in Greenville.....same place I do. I've got a wide open back yard bordered by some big/tall trees, you're more than welcome to swing buy and try it out if you like. I live off of Blacks Drive (between Pelham & Roper Mountain).

Drop me a line,
[email protected]

Brian Cooke

Back yard trees.....
http://groups.msn.com/TheCookeFamilyPhotos/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=20

Last edited:
If you are using the release to "fire" the big shot, then try using a release meant for a compound bow as it should give you a much smoother release. I've never had the pleasure of trying a big shot but if I am understanding the pic Tim posted then a bow hunting release should work better than what Tim has posted.:angel:

That's the one, Tim!!

I've been using it for a couple years, Ryan, it works great, has a very light touch and smooth release...and you can get over 10 of them versus one of the Wichard.

I'm not sure about the bowhunting release, which I have seen. You'd have to modify it to attach it to the pole.

Latest posts

Back