"Shigo V-Cut"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
Reaction score
I've been pruning trees for 50 years, but just heard this term for the first time.

Anyone know what it means?

Jeff you're right. The transition from roundover pruning has been painful. utilities used to do more of a "U-Cut", clearing only a short distance below the wires. Then some began to deep-dive, taking off branches way below the lines, and even below the bundle of communications wires. This results in huge wounds, imbalance, and
high risk, which are worsened after sprouts are removed on the next visit.

I'm trying to encourage a return to U-cutting, and directional pruning on the regrowth. The pushback is fierce, but no one can tell me why V-cutting way beyond clearance limits (MVD) is necessary, or even desirable. I'm afraid that Alex might be spinning cartwheels if he saw cuts like this made in his name!

Attachments

• IMG_3460 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3460 (Small).JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3445 (Small).jpg
    IMG_3445 (Small).jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3425 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3425 (Small).JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 29
Jeff you're right. The transition from roundover pruning has been painful. utilities used to do more of a "U-Cut", clearing only a short distance below the wires. Then some began to deep-dive, taking off branches way below the lines, and even below the bundle of communications wires. This results in huge wounds, imbalance, and
high risk, which are worsened after sprouts are removed on the next visit.

I'm trying to encourage a return to U-cutting, and directional pruning on the regrowth. The pushback is fierce, but no one can tell me why V-cutting way beyond clearance limits (MVD) is necessary, or even desirable. I'm afraid that Alex might be spinning cartwheels if he saw cuts like this made in his name!

Well, I admit I am not as smart as you.
It has been awhile since I sat at a seminar in which Alex Shigo was a speaker,,I was sitting in the first row, (I am always early),
bad choice, ,,he spit alot when he talked, he had so much passion for trees,
Maybe if you dig a little deeper, you will accept 'V-cutting',,
Jeff

Dug deeper and found out it was BS. No excuse for exceeding clearance limits. They are back to U-cutting now that they know V-cutting is wrong, and the public is watching.

Yeah i been spat upon before too but that comes with the territory.

Smart is hard to measure; many kinds of smart!

Back