Shipping Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipdog9

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Guys-

I'm going to be shipping a 029 in the next day or so- any advice on the best ways to box it up? I'll send it dry, of course, with the bar and chain removed...

Thanks!!!

Go by a STIHL dealer and get a MS 290/MS 390 box. They pitch them out since they aren't supposed to sell in a box.

Wrap the drained saw inside a heavy duty trash bag and tie the bag shut. Then put inside of a second trash bag and seal it also. Figure on the box being dropped, kicked around, etc. Use plenty of packing material. To the shippers your box is just one of millions. You might want to remove the dogs or pad over them to keep them from chewing through the box. Put your name and all pertinent info on the saw itself and perhaps under the air filter cover. Record the serial # for your records.

Hey Urbicide- Where in Cincy? I grew up in I. Hill. (go Braves), but now I thankfully live just over a hour south in KY...

Hey Guys-

I'm going to be shipping a 029 in the next day or so- any advice on the best ways to box it up? I'll send it dry, of course, with the bar and chain removed...

Thanks!!!
We ship quite a few smaller saws in the storage plastic tubs you can pickup at sam's as long as the bar is no more then a 20 inch bar.
Wrap it in bubble wrap & fill any voids in the box with crumpled up newspaper. And tie the lids down with plastic ties.
Fed-Ex is the only one that willl take the plastic tubs without extra charges but Fed-Ex is way cheaper then UPS.
Anything bigger we get the golf club box from U-haul & trim to fit.

Make da*n sure you cover the ends of the bar with cardboard or something to make the ends blunt, I use wadded up plastic grocery sacks and tape them in place. A bar will come right through the side of a box very, very easily if the ends are'nt covered. Trust me on this... I learned it the hard way.

A friend of mine sold a saw on eBay recently and I told him about this, and of course, he ignored me. A few days later I get a call from him telling me the customer is pi**ed off and says I did'nt put the bar in the box, he says "Man, I put that bar in the box" I asked him if he wrapped up the ends and he sheepishly admits he did'nt but the buyer tells him there's no holes in the box. I said it came through the side of the box dude, it makes such a small hole when it happens that it's hard to find.

You have to remember that your package is one of millions and it gets dropped and thrown around. I'd like to see the collection of bars the shipping companies have!

Last edited:
Wrap the drained saw inside a heavy duty trash bag and tie the bag shut. Then put inside of a second trash bag and seal it also. Figure on the box being dropped, kicked around, etc. Use plenty of packing material. To the shippers your box is just one of millions. You might want to remove the dogs or pad over them to keep them from chewing through the box. Put your name and all pertinent info on the saw itself and perhaps under the air filter cover. Record the serial # for your records.

Plus 1

and

if it's expensive, put it in a double box.

Plus 1

and

if it's expensive, put it in a double box.

+1 on that. I was so impressed with how Lakeside shipped my 064 to me that I adopted his method. He went above and beyond the call of duty, and my saw arrived in beautiful shape! He double boxed it, wrapped it in a trash bag and 2 layers of 1 inch foam. :clap:

Latest posts

Back