Should I change to a 7 pin sprocket on my 395 xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Goodwin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I am running a 36" bar with a full chisel skip chain on my Husky 395 xp in LARGE oak. Would it be beneficial to change from an 8 pin sprocket to a 7? Also, is there a better chain to run on this saw in these conditions? Any advice is appreciated. -Dave from CT.

yes it would be,You don't need the chain speed you need the power in the cut. The saw should be attacking at about 3000+ less that the saw can spin unloaded with a 7 tooth. its not a cookie cutter. Also the eight tooth lifts the chain higher coming off the top of the sprocket making it throw easier on some bars. Tbe skip best for big wood. oak?? Don't know much about. I would assume a high raker

I'll run an 8pin with the 28" bar on my monkey-logic 394, especially in pine. It's noticeably better with the 7pin when wearing the 36" or 42". I like JGX on anything 24" and longer, but that's just personal preference

yes it would be,You don't need the chain speed you need the power in the cut. The saw should be attacking at about 3000+ less that the saw can spin unloaded with a 7 tooth. its not a cookie cutter. Also the eight tooth lifts the chain higher coming off the top of the sprocket making it throw easier on some bars. Tbe skip best for big wood. oak?? Don't know much about. I would assume a high raker
you assume correctly. 7 pin full skip, high raker and plan your cuts well. forget about speed making up for mistakes here. hard oak will make a saw cry.

Back