Should I stock a 661 cm ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So, this week I sold the 461 that I had on the shelf. A very happy customer by the way.
I started poking thru the stihl product line, and was thinking about the 462, but the darn thing is pretty close to the 441cm that I already have on the shelf...
So, the thought process is to put another 461 on the shelf.
Then... I got to thinking about putting a 661cm down there, with a 28" bar.

Well, what do ya think?

SHould I do it, or not??

The 461 is nla, unless your distributor still has a few. The 441 hasn't been around for at least a couple of years. If you're not moving at least one 70cc saw within a few weeks, I would guess you're not going to move a 661 for a better part of a decade? In urban areas "unless you have tree care guys buying saws" most pro saws are slow sellers, some shops don't even carry them, sounds like that's where you are business-wise.

If you must the 462 would be a much easier sell than a 661 as it's much lighter than the 661, 461 or 441, and is stronger than the 441. 28" is really 461, 462, 500i size, if I'm carrying a 661 it's going to have at least a 32" bar hanging on it.

Well.... we have trees up here. There are a few loggers running around the place. What would be interesting is that when I was putting together the order (I have not sent it), I clicked on "check pricing and availability". Every saw is on back order!
I wanted a couple 180's
I wanted a couple 250's
I would like a 461
And the mentioned 661

all on back order. No doubt can place the blame on Covid 19, and supply and demand. I kind of got stuck with a pair of 441's last spring, we ordered them in for a customer who has not come for them. Well... I sold one the other day (it runs nicely) and I am certain that eventually I will sell the remaining stock out. When I get to one... then... ?

The justification of the 661 is for if/when someone gets into a bind and Needs a big saw. If I have it on the shelf... it will sell. The same justification of keeping a couple 194T on hand... when a arborist Needs a top handle saw to do a job... ordering is not going to suffice.

I will keep pondering the big boy 661, but around here, there is very little need for a 32" bar. Except for milling. I know of one guy with a mill up here, and he does have a 661 on it.... Thanks for the feedback guys!

All the dealers around here keep pretty much the whole lineup in stock.

Used to not carry the bigger stuff, but last I was there they had 661s for sure.
Also usually have a few Arctic models on hand. They get them from Canada... some goofy deal where they aren't "available" through US distributors.

What you stock I'd imagine will depend on what sells and what sort of floor plan you have setup.

Well again the 461 is NLA as far I know. If there's no need for a saw with a 32" bar, I would go for the 462, or maybe even better the 500i, those are starting to show up pretty much everywhere now. You may even move a saw like the 462 quicker as it's about the same size and weigh of that 441 but with more power. I will assume with Bryan equipment being in the same city as myself, things are a bit more available, all the dealers still seem to have what they need coming in and in a timely manner, I had some small parts show up in two days, which makes sense as I can drive to Bryan equipment in 30 minutes.[emoji111]

The 461 is nla, unless your distributor still has a few. The 441 hasn't been around for at least a couple of years. If you're not moving at least one 70cc saw within a few weeks, I would guess you're not going to move a 661 for a better part of a decade? In urban areas "unless you have tree care guys buying saws" most pro saws are slow sellers, some shops don't even carry them, sounds like that's where you are business-wise.

If you must the 462 would be a much easier sell than a 661 as it's much lighter than the 661, 461 or 441, and is stronger than the 441. 28" is really 461, 462, 500i size, if I'm carrying a 661 it's going to have at least a 32" bar hanging on it.
This.

Yes. Stihl sent an email to my shop today with no estimated time for new saws. Huge backorder.

Well again the 461 is NLA as far I know. If there's no need for a saw with a 32" bar, I would go for the 462, or maybe even better the 500i, those are starting to show up pretty much everywhere now. You may even move a saw like the 462 quicker as it's about the same size and weigh of that 441 but with more power. I will assume with Bryan equipment being in the same city as myself, things are a bit more available, all the dealers still seem to have what they need coming in and in a timely manner, I had some small parts show up in two days, which makes sense as I can drive to Bryan equipment in 30 minutes.[emoji111]
Just bought a new 461R, even though it was not on his website or on the USA website. It pays to ask. My dealer said he called the USA headquarters & was told they are still being shipped here.

Now maybe just selling existing stock, idk

Latest posts

Back