Should I try my hand at blacksmithing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxfire

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A life long buddy of mine has been trying to get me to come see his place and shop for a while now. He lives way out there and is a blacksmith or at least does a lot of it. I'm really interested in seeing his place and family but I'm a homebody so I've been making excuses. Then it dawned on me that this guy could make me an axe/maul without breaking a sweat. Coincidentally I "butt called" him last night and we got to texting, he told me that he could make me a crappy axe and over charge me or I could come over and make it myself assuming I could swing a hammer. I kind of feel like a kid who was just told they were gonna be getting a dog.

I was gonna ask him to make me something like the LeverAxe (not trying to step on anyone's toes or patents, the idea just intrigues me) but since I'll be swinging the hammer I may go more traditional.

A life long buddy of mine has been trying to get me to come see his place and shop for a while now. He lives way out there and is a blacksmith or at least does a lot of it. I'm really interested in seeing his place and family but I'm a homebody so I've been making excuses. Then it dawned on me that this guy could make me an axe/maul without breaking a sweat. Coincidentally I "butt called" him last night and we got to texting, he told me that he could make me a crappy axe and over charge me or I could come over and make it myself assuming I could swing a hammer. I kind of feel like a kid who was just told they were gonna be getting a dog.

I was gonna ask him to make me something like the LeverAxe (not trying to step on anyone's toes or patents, the idea just intrigues me) but since I'll be swinging the hammer I may go more traditional.

I'd jump on that in a hot minute. One can never have too many skills.

The local Steam and Gas club has a Blacksmith Shop set up on their property. It is always interesting to watch that craft, more fun to do it if you have the chance. Take some pics or it never happened...

I only got one year of metal shop before they cut it, but working at the forge was it for me. Didn't care for welding, casting was cool but fire and hammers were the bees knees...

It has to be the ultimate experience when it comes to playing with fire. I got a couple hours of instruction and made some horse shoes with a Ferrier when I was a young man and would love to be able to do it again sometime.

I think you have an excellent opportunity. If he knows his stuff, which it sounds that he does, you will be hooked I think. Especially if he is close. If you have the time and enjoy this first experience see if you could do some apprentice work for him. Having a knowledge of steel, carbon content, heat and temper are invaluable knowledge with applications far beyond blacksmithing. As Mac said, you can never have too many skills. I think the axe will only be the beginning. Be careful however, I believe this medievil art has it's own version of CAD.:)

it does " BAD"( Blacksmithing Acquisition Disease), The cool thing is that after a couple basics You can make it all your self including your forge. Anvils are the one item that a home or small shop would have difficulty producing.

Anvils are the one item that a home or small shop would have difficulty producing.

And probably one of the most expensive tool in the shop. They're hard to find used and usually bring top dollar.

a piece of railroad rail is a decent anvil and isnt hard to scrounge.

I've got a 6" piece I use when bending metal. A good smithies anvil has a lot more features though. Oddly enough, I was doing so work behind the house this past spring and dug up a 3' section of old "mine" rail. Added to the collection. ;o)

I'd jump at a chance like that.

When a young pup I had a chance to work with a blacksmith for a day. My project was a fire iron, but I watched him make four other projects. He made a hinge, blacksmith tongs, a new tool for the anvil, and the nicest fireplace tool set you ever saw, including a forged shovel out of a short chunk of 1 1/2" bar.

I've been hooked ever since. Welding and forming metal have become a bit of a thing with me because of that.

When my new bride wanted to learn canning she started with pears because we had a pear tree. She asked if I'd ever used a pear corer and I said I had. She asked me to get one next time I was in town. I said sure. Then I went out to the shop, cut a strip off the edge of some scrap stainless steel and started pounding away. I forged an eye to close the loop and forge welded it shut. Then I made a handle for it. Couple hours later that evening I brought it inside and gave it to her. She was really impressed. ;););)

Mr. HE:cool:

Try it for sure, you'll for sure fall in love with it. I've been doing it for some 10 to 12 years now. I you do like it, find a local Guild near you and you will learn a tremendous amount about the craft. I've made so many things, give them all away except for some nice pieces I've kept. Made axes, knives, ornamental gates, candle holders, to many thing's to mention. Good luck and enjoy!!!:cheers:

I spent the day at my moms so I'll try to get caught up...

My buddy lives out somewhere near French Creek I think which is good for you 2treeornot2tree, but like 2 hours for me. It's the main reason I haven't taken him up on his offer yet. I'll see if he does classes.

I saw him at a party maybe 6 months ago and he bought a Damascus chefs knife and Tomahawk/pipe that he made and I about crapped my pants. He must love doing it cause I don't think he has been doing it long enough to be as good at it as he is.

Here is a pic he sent me and a link to his blog, Fire Bashing The axe in the pic is made of 5 pieces of mild steel and 2 pieces of high carbon steel.

View attachment 270476

Last edited:
I'll start dropping hints...

Oh and i just found out that he is in to chainsaws. He runs a 036 and took 3 levels of Soren Erickson's game of logging which is totally new to me.

Our parents grew up together so he's the closest thing I have to a brother which is why we can go for years without talking and fall right back in to our groove...gotta love friends like that.

Getting in a little late on this thread but I strongly suggest taking advantage of the opportunity if smithing intrigues you at all. Having an experienced smitty to teach you is a major blessing - just not a lot of them around. Most are super helpful and will give you the shirt off their back(Smiths are a great group, kind of like the saw guys here)

I am mostly self taught and do a lot of research on the interweb so check out Paleoplanet for a great resource online.

I make all my fire tools and kitchen/hunting knives and a lot of damascus stuff. I have posted some pics in the photos forum if you search my name. Love it - so challenging and it is awesome to see the patterns come out when you dip the blade in acid.

Oh, and be forwarned - I have way more invested in smitty tools that many of the saw guys have into saws. It is addictive!!

On another note - and very sad to me: at one time anvils were a dime a dozen, literally!! The scrap guys that come pick up our gon scrap bin to take to the salvage yard say they used to get 3-5 anvils in a day and pay scrap steel prices for them. All those anvils were smelted at pennies per Lb - freaking sad!! Now a decent anvil can cost up to 5$ per pound. We probably have 5G worth of just anvils in the shop. Not to mention the 50lb little giant and the 65ton hydro press. The forge is the cheap part and can be built rather easily. It is all the tools around it that make smithing expensive. RR rail works ok for little things but you need a true anvil with a lot of weight and bounce if you plan to get into anything big and have good results. You need the bottom to hammer back so that the piece is being worked on both sides equally with every strike.

Have fun - be prepared to get addicted!!

I have plans to make a damascus squench but find it tough to think many would want a 300$ squench they may loose in the woods!! Maybe just a shop squench :)
Not a great photo but some of my stuff. The top blade is a chainsaw chain forge welded into the 1080 san mai. I like working with chain.

noscales001.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back