Show me your minty 044s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a nice MS440 hybrid, but have wanted to build an early 044. I'm starting with an early 10mm saw that I picked up off Ebay. I will be fitting a 12mm crank into this saw, and installing it with new crank bearings. The angled fin cylinder has a lot of the NiSi worn through. Fortunately, I have another nice one that I will be using. I've not yet decided if I will be using a Meteor 12mm 044 piston or a thin-ring Husky piston. It depends on the piston height difference, once I get to that point.

I've noticed that 044s have used different tanks, filler caps, air filter covers, model plates, etc. I'd love to see you guys minty 044s:rock:

Here's what I'm starting with. The saw is all apart and cleaned up now.
%24%28KGrHqJHJEEFE3s%29MdO8BRibZjtVN%21~~60_58-M.jpg

I've got a nice MS440 hybrid, but have wanted to build an early 044. I'm starting with an early 10mm saw that I picked up off Ebay. I will be fitting a 12mm crank into this saw, and installing it with new crank bearings. The angled fin cylinder has a lot of the NiSi worn through. Fortunately, I have another nice one that I will be using. I've not yet decided if I will be using a Meteor 12mm 044 piston or a thin-ring Husky piston. It depends on the piston height difference, once I get to that point.

I've noticed that 044s have used different tanks, filler caps, air filter covers, model plates, etc. I'd love to see you guys minty 044s:rock:

Here's what I'm starting with. The saw is all apart and cleaned up now.

Here is mine

Nice saw. I'm guessing that is the latest configuration before going to the 440?

I purchased it new, couldnt remember when, so I e-mailed Stihl with my serial number. They said it was purchased in 2000

Waiting for Terry to get things back in order, then she will have a fresh BB P&C kit from him.

I am thinking of a ported 660-661 .............. any chance you could PM me a price for a Snellerized new one ???

Last edited:
Yep-

There was a short time period after the upgrade to the 12mm wrist pin and 5mm bolts on the recoil and top cover but the top cover still had the metal tag. These are desirable saws as they had good port timing and ran very well.

I'd love to get my greasy mitts on one of those!

When did they change the HD filter cover? I've seen some that don't have a "rib" on the sides.

Dude, that is beautiful! Is that the original finish on the case? OEM 10mm cylinder?

i bought some new oem cases off ebay when i put it together ,thats factory finish ,thats the tank and plastics i emailed you pics of

yes oem early 10mm cyl and rod ,this saw has a lot of tourque all stock with dual port ,im scared porting it will ruin it and make it pipey

adding : there is no serial #s on these cases ,i guess the replacements don't get #s and the early cases have smaller recoil screw holes than the later models there's supposed to be a 2 rivot metal tag on the recoil cover to be early 10mm correct

Last edited:
Back