Show me your minty 044s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i put the early flywheel on the ms440 i put the 10mm jug on,if anyone does the 10mm jug swap,i recommend doing the early flywheel also ,this saw now has the angry exhaust sound similar to my 10mm rod saw ,i noodled a 32 inch bar buried in some cedar to tune my carb with ,this is a real good running saw ,i like tourque in saws ,this saw has that ,it still has the 440 carb on it ,seems to run good with it for power ,i haven't done a side by side ,but i think they run real close with each other now ,you will have a real good running saw with the 12 or 10mm rod just by using the jug and flywheel

i put the early flywheel on the ms440 i put the 10mm jug on,if anyone does the 10mm jug swap,i recommend doing the early flywheel also ,this saw now has the angry exhaust sound similar to my 10mm rod saw ,i noodled a 32 inch bar buried in some cedar to tune my carb with ,this is a real good running saw ,i like tourque in saws ,this saw has that ,it still has the 440 carb on it ,seems to run good with it for power ,i haven't done a side by side ,but i think they run real close with each other now ,you will have a real good running saw with the 12 or 10mm rod just by using the jug and flywheel

I'm planing to do the 044 jug swap if I ever find one. I'd like to know more about the early flywheel. Is it lighter, fewer fins??????????? How to I.D. it????????

I appreciate you sharing your research. Just to be clear, what are you defining as a 044 flywheel and a 440 flywheel? Are you defining the one on the right as the 044 flywheel and the one on the left as the 440 flywheel, as discussed in the thread I started last week?

IMG_0965-M.jpg

IMG_0966-M.jpg

the heavier one has more fins ,this is the early one ,part # ends in 1200 i think
$(KGrHqEOKp!E5(8rv0G5BOhc3jIuM!~~60_3.JPG

I appreciate you sharing your research. Just to be clear, what are you defining as a 044 flywheel and a 440 flywheel? Are you defining the one on the right as the 044 flywheel and the one on the left as the 440 flywheel, as discussed in the thread I started last week?

IMG_0965-M.jpg

IMG_0966-M.jpg

the left in your image is early 044 with the squarished shape in center of the fins ,the on on the right round center is off a ms440

Stihl switched to the "lightweight" flywheel as a part of the transition to the MS-440. That would be the flywheel on the right in your picture. The older style, i.e. the flywheel on the left, is the regular flywheel that came on all 044s (even 10mm wrist pin saws) up until the transition to the MS-440

Quoted from JJ

Have you tried the 044 flywheel on a 440 cylinder?

I have not. Maybe TRX has?
I have a 440 flywheel I could try I suppose, but I think I know the outcome on that and I'll stick with my early flywheel.

Last edited:
Have you tried the 044 flywheel on a 440 cylinder?

I have not tried yet but i'm curious now,i think when my hybrid comes home it will be getting the heavy flywheel ,i did lose some snap in response ,but the increased pull with a longer bar is worth it too me

Last edited:
I haven't had it in wood yet, but here it is running. I wish I had my tach with me. It's still 4-stroking hard here. This is the 10mm topend and flywheel, on a 12mm saw. Please excuse the watermark. I'm on vacation using trial version software.

[video=youtube_share;4bw_1ieXRVY]http://youtu.be/4bw_1ieXRVY[/video]

iv'e got both of my 10mm jug saws done now ,been cutting with both of them so pics have some sawdust on them ,the one with the 044 tag is 440 chassis ,10mm jug ,crank and flywheel ,the one with the 440 tag has 10mm 044 jug and flywheel with the ms440 12mm crank ,i'm really liking the handlebar i got from Young with the scrench holder ,don't even notice it there when cutting ,i'm going to order some more if can get them from the dealer for my other saws ,i still need to get some time to do a side by side ,the 10mm crank saw still has a slightly different exhaust note ,but not much different ,once i added the heavy flywheel to the 12mm saw ,it got the angry exhaust sound

View attachment 308005View attachment 308006View attachment 308007View attachment 308008View attachment 308009

Back