Show me your minty 044s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw looks great. Sounds like you waited on the parts you desired. (I hate waiting but love it when a deal comes along). I love my 044. I have bought, owned and sold plenty of saws. But the 044 is my personal favorite. Perhaps some day I will do a restoration or build like this. Pics look great.

Looks good.

But was there ever actually a metal badged "Magnum"? Just curious as I thought that woulda been later in the plastic badge era.

That I don't know. I think this is the earliest of HD filtered 044s. It had a decal on it, but anyone could have added it. I love the metal name and model plates though. They've gotten very hard to find!

You east coast guys with 20 inch bars and small sprocket covers :msp_wink:

The saw came out nice :cheers:

I fully intended to use the 3/4 wrap I got from you. However, I decided to go thin and light on this saw. My 440/460 hybrid is setup full West Coast style though. I'd post a pic, but something's wrong with my SmugMug account right now.

I fully intended to use the 3/4 wrap I got from you. However, I decided to go thin and light on this saw. My 440/460 hybrid is setup full West Coast style though. I'd post a pic, but something's wrong with my SmugMug account right now.

Hey Brad if you do not want that wrap...keep me in mind.

You east coast guys with 20 inch bars and small sprocket covers :msp_wink:

The saw came out nice :cheers:

Not a lot of 5' timber to be had around here. My 440 is right at home with a 20" bar just as I bought it new in 2005.

Saw looks awesome Brad. I think the 044/440 platform is my favorite saw of all times. I know a local guy with a couple of 10mm 044's and he won't part with either of them. He's kind of an ass.

Here's my 440/460 hybrid decked out in West Coast garb. It now wears a Stihl ES Light bar, and isn't quite as shiny new. It's a work saw.

IMG_0704-M.jpg

i picked up another 440 ,now have 4 including the hybrid ,one is all ms440 decomp jug ,the one i just got is 12mm 440 ,and i added a 10mm cylinder ,i just ordered an early flywheel for this saw to hopefully make it react in power like my 10mm one ,the other saw is early 10mm crank jug flywheel ,but i used 440 cases ,this saw all stock pulls a 32 inch bar burried in fir real nice without falling out of the powerband ,i just got the 12mm one going ,i want to do some testing to see if the same saws ,no porting perform any different ,i'm hoping to get the same performance in the one i just got going ,hoping the heavier crank doesn't hurt performance

i picked up another 440 ,now have 4 including the hybrid ,one is all ms440 decomp jug ,the one i just got is 12mm 440 ,and i added a 10mm cylinder ,i just ordered an early flywheel for this saw to hopefully make it react in power like my 10mm one ,the other saw is early 10mm crank jug flywheel ,but i used 440 cases ,this saw all stock pulls a 32 inch bar burried in fir real nice without falling out of the powerband ,i just got the 12mm one going ,i want to do some testing to see if the same saws ,no porting perform any different ,i'm hoping to get the same performance in the one i just got going ,hoping the heavier crank doesn't hurt performance

Keep us posted. I would be interested in the results of that. The 044 is my personal favorite. I don't have a hybrid (yet). But I've heard great things about the upgrade.

I have an 044 on the way and want to know whats the desirable things about the 12mm and the 10mm?

12mm has better durability? 10mm has better power?

The 10 mm cylinder makes the most power, but the 12mm crank is stronger. As you might have picked up, there might be some other variables in what makes the strongest stock 044. That's what TRX250R is trying to determine. I'm interested myself. I've got both style flywheels, but don't have the wood to do the research.

once i feel the new one is running good ,i will try to video a decent fir log with the 10 and 12mm saw to see if the crank is a weight is a factor in performance ,the fir seems to load a saw good ,i do have a stump that's dry ,fell 2 years ago i can get a couple decent cookie cuts off of still ,it seemed pretty hard like a piece of lumber last weekend when i ran the 10mm saw through it

Believe it or not, I'm actually considering leaving this saw stock. I know, I must be ill or something, lol:) The thing of it is, I built this saw to have something to put my 10mm cylinder on. I know, that's CAD at it's worst! So, if it's to showcase the 10mm cylinder, leave it in it's original form. Whatcha think?

A 10 mm cylinder will run good with a nice muffler mod. I say leave it as is.

Wiggs says his one 10mm 044 has embarrassed more than one ported saw. That's pretty cool stuff there. If this saw turns out to be that strong, I just may leave it stock. I did mod the muffler, but that's just taking back what the EPA stole, IMHO. I might even tweak the ignition timing, but again, that's just tuning.

Not mint but I think I will keep it. Bought it off Ebay from the west coast. It shows its age but it runs like a top! Dual port muffler is all I can tell about it. If it ever stops working then I will open it up and see what shes made of.

I am going to say its a fairly early one. It has a metal tag riveted on the top cover. Seems like the local shop said by the serial number it was a 92ish. I cant tell you a thing about the history of this one saw but I know it runs hard and strong! I see why you see so many good things said about the 044. I have a 28" and a 18" bar for different duties. Its like having a big and little saw all in one. The only gripe I have with it and it may not be a legit one is the oil pump. I sure wish I could make it oil a little more for the bigger bar. I have never burnt any chains up or anything but I would love to see more oil. The adjuster is cranked wide open and I use 30W motor oil as advised by a local shop and it seems a little better.

Back