Show off your crummys!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First Crummy Ride - Recalled.

The recent conversation about old loggers in another thread, reminded me of my last encounter with the only fulltime logger I knew, Roy. And my first crummy ride at age 27.

Back in ’83, Roy was getting up in years and was looking to retire. He took my soon-to-be wife, my dad and I to look at a piece of his property he hoped we might buy. It was located behind a locked US Forestry gate in the Nantahala National Forest. We all rode in his 4wd F250. We soon veered off the main forestry road and headed straight up the mountain on a typical Western North Carolina dozer blade wide road with a small shallow ditch on the mountain side and a sheer drop off on the other side. The road was real steep and it was clear that there was no way we could make it to the top, but Roy was determined that my sweetheart wasn’t going to have to walk any further than necessary. Pop was a little concerned about how we were going to get back down without wrecking, but Roy assured him all would be well. We rode until gravity won the battle. Roy lodged his side of the truck in the ditch and we got out. Pop asked Roy, “Now how are we going to get back down?” Roy told him not to worry about it. As a fairly experienced off-roader, I was curious myself. Anyway, we walk the remaining distance to survey the property and returned to the truck. Roy directs us all to get in. We oblige, Pop reluctantly. Pop tells Roy that there isn’t any way he can turn the truck around. Roy replies that he doesn’t intent to. Now Pop is getting a little excided and frustrated. He tells Roy that there is no way he can back the truck down this mountain without it getting away from him. Roy just grins and says “I do it all the time.” With that he rolls his window up, throws the truck in reverse, and takes off backwards leaving his side in the ditch. Whenever the truck would pick up too much speed for him, Roy would simply turn into the bank and scrub the side of the truck against the bank until he was at a comfortable pace. I'm not talking a few feet but several truck lengths at a time. Pop couldn’t believe what he was experiencing (Roy’s pickup was newer than ours). Roy just grinned. And so did I. Ron

There is a difference between off roaders and loggers. Others do it for fun and others for living.

There are a lot of genuine crummies on the roads now. A friend said, "Everybody is logging."

I recently saw some "youths" walking around Santa Rosa wearing stagged pants, flannels, 'Spenders, and logging boots. Hasn't been much of any logging around here in a LONG time. A bit near the coast every now and then. Methinks that the 'logger fashion' must be the 'in thing' for some of the youth crowd. These kids didn't look like they'd ever done a hard day's work in their life....

Had to sell this one last year: built like a real truck, parts where as expensive as real truck parts. It's a Iveco 4X4 turbo dump truck with a 7 seater crew cab. That thing could go anywhere, never got stuck and pulled like a tank (shown here pulling a 3 feet poplar). We couldn't afford buying a new one (snif...) and replaced it by 2 much cheaper Toyota hilux. RIP "the tank"....
View attachment 282706

I recently saw some "youths" walking around Santa Rosa wearing stagged pants, flannels, 'Spenders, and logging boots. Hasn't been much of any logging around here in a LONG time. A bit near the coast every now and then. Methinks that the 'logger fashion' must be the 'in thing' for some of the youth crowd. These kids didn't look like they'd ever done a hard day's work in their life....

I've seen it too, a local hipster ( here in western NC) claimed it was sourced out of a bar in Seattle, the Redwood I think it was (interesting, as geographically incorrect as our sightings) but no doubt, he dubbed it "logger chic". It is for real.

Flattering, really. Might sell them some saw chips from my pocket for some beer money.

Two local college going boys who are pretty much the real thing were delighted to hear that they may have been ahead of the fashion curve. I have heard it is the fad in Seattle, but it hasn't hit where the one boy goes to school--Ellensburg. He says Carhartt Coveralls are more common.

Are hipsters allowed to wear the faller :bowdown: style suspenders?

Two local college going boys who are pretty much the real thing were delighted to hear that they may have been ahead of the fashion curve. I have heard it is the fad in Seattle, but it hasn't hit where the one boy goes to school--Ellensburg. He says Carhartt Coveralls are more common.

Are hipsters allowed to wear the faller :bowdown: style suspenders?

Sure, why not? If they're going to be posers and mimic logger type people they might as well set their sights high and mimic the best. :laugh:

Besides, wouldn't it be fun to undo the leather buckle straps and give them a big hard yank upwards? Kind of a wedgie, except from the front?

All I can say is good god. Now the stinkin fashionistas gotta ruin my ratty rigger look! :angry: Not that I'm sporting it as a fashion statement. It's what I work in and they're comfortable and there are days I'm indifferent about my fashion.

Me and a buddy of mine (both of us are forestry majors and hold forest tech degrees) are the only ones here in Moscow with stagged pants... I'm sure I get funny looks considering my pants are well worn and stained. Shoot the crotch got ripped out of one pair of pants and got sewed back up... can't toss a pair of carharts till they are totally worn out lol

I got asked one time last semester if all I ever wore were Carharts and suspenders; I got a good chuckle out of that one.

Sure, why not? If they're going to be posers and mimic logger type people they might as well set their sights high and mimic the best. :laugh:

Besides, wouldn't it be fun to undo the leather buckle straps and give them a big hard yank upwards? Kind of a wedgie, except from the front?

Don't forget, the big saw candy store has replacements for those straps. And no, I don't think I'd have much fun doing that. That's a guy thing.

crummies around here have fuel tanks in the bed headache racks and truck tool boxes ,bottoms of the beds are usually pretty oily ,and the tailgates arent usually too pretty ,main industry in town is logging though

A local tree work contractor has an infamous convicted triple murderer brother. Behind the bars the naughty brother is known as "Metsuri" -"Logger". It's hard to tell where the name comes from, he has never done a single honest day's work in his life. Now it came to me if it had something to do with that hipster fashion thing?

Well, as long as there will be no Village People type of show going on, I'm okay with it.

Something absolutely incomprehensible for you to watch, folks.

[video=youtube;7TLFSqvz030]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TLFSqvz030[/video]

I have had a few King-Cabs and even a GMC Jimmy 6.2D. The last pickup I had was a Isuzu 3.1TD, pictured below. They are almost perfect for my business but the bed is too short for clearing saws so I decided to try something new, a small panel van, a Renault Kangoo 1.5 dci :msp_ohmy:
IsuzuCampo31TD-00_zpsf5ae8c22.jpeg

Here's the Renault, check out the seat covers :laugh:
It has actually worked out better than expected, although the ground clearence is a bit worrying, it's not as bad as it seems to be in the picture though. The steel skid plate isn't there for looks only
DSC_0031_zpsf4e8de48.jpg

I also have a Skoda Octavia TDI with a lift kit, I often take it to the woods if I don't have to carry any saws with me (we usually leave them on site), better comfort and faster than the Kangoo :rock:
This picture is before the lift:
Bild0248_zpsb407d60b.jpeg

So I've tried a few different crummys and they all get the job done, seems like the dirt and the smell sticks to the crummy, be it a truck, van or car...

Markus, I remember the logging roads being generally in a good shape in Gävleborgs län, but you must be a hell of a driver or a mechanic to keep that Kangoo in one piece. My hats off!

Markus, I remember the logging roads being generally in a good shape in Gävleborgs län, but you must be a hell of a driver or a mechanic to keep that Kangoo in one piece. My hats off!

Well, I am a mechanic so...Just kidding!
I did not expect much but it has been very good, no problems at all yet.

Have you been around here? My parents are from Finland, maybe we know each other :hmm3grin2orange:
Logging roads here are almost better than the paved ones, they are very rough at places.

Well, I am a mechanic so...Just kidding!
I did not expect much but it has been very good, no problems at all yet.

Have you been around here? My parents are from Finland, maybe we know each other :hmm3grin2orange:
Logging roads here are almost better than the paved ones, they are very rough at places.

I worked a half of a winter season, 9-10 years ago, around Avesta.

I think I may heard your name from a couple of Laplander guys from Rovaniemi who did brushing jobs somewhere near Gävle. That's why I guessed where you are.

Samlock, you're kidding right?
I personally haven't had any laplanders employed but my dad is from around Rovaniemi and he had a thinning business here in the 80-90's. But that went under a different name than my business. Spooky...
It's a small world, Avesta is 70km from here.

Are you on skogsforum?

Samlock, you're kidding right?
I personally haven't had any laplanders employed but my dad is from around Rovaniemi and he had a thinning business here in the 80-90's. But that went under a different name than my business. Spooky...
It's a small world, Avesta is 70km from here.

Are you on skogsforum?

Hmm. Yes of course I'm pulling your leg. I just don't know exactly how... Maybe it's one of those Laplander taika things. Half of my family is up there. They're being quite ###### up too.

I know skogsforum. I'm not a member, though. My written Swedish is horrible.

Good to see you here, Markus. I'm sure we all'd like to know about you and your work.

Sam

Back