Shumard Red Oak is dying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tami

Reaction score
I purchased a Shumard Red Oak and planted it in Dallas, TX in around March of this year. It is about 20 feet tall and about 4 inches in diameter. When we bought and planted it, it had no leaves, but then when it was supposed to, the leaves started growing. They never got full size, but we thought it was stunted due to the transplant. We recently left for a two week vacation, and when we got back, all the leaves were brown, and the tree appears to be dead. I thought we were watering it enough (we have a sprinkler system), and anyway, I thought that the red oak didn't like too much water. Is there any hope of saving my tree? What do i do? I love this tree (it is so beautiful) and desperately want to try to save it! Please help!

i had the same problem at the course. They crane planted a 4 in red oak in what amounted to clay pot. Rammed earth burm. So there was no drainage to the pit and I just cut down a $7000 tree.

Pit water was septic, roots died, leaves crisped....

Back