Side gig questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK_Dreamer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys. I was hoping to work some weekends with a local tree service to learn and make some extra money. While I wait for a call I was wondering if you guys that do side work are fully insured? I wouldn't mind doing something on my own (not preferred) but.dont want to spend the money for insurance as then it might not be such a good proposition.

only takes one miscalulation to ruin the rest of your life. either physically or money outlay. When I was running a commercial snow plowing operation I kept a million dollar liability policy in force- slip and fall is a popular attack point. There are specs for amount deicer per sq ft. - but even with that some female in high heels tried to dig in my pocket. the suit was thrown out, love cameras - customers system caught her fallicy as she went after them as well.

Short answer is no, i dont have liability Insurance and never have.
Long answer. My "side work" mainly consisted of helping a family friend log on my days off, when he needed help. I was covered under his insurance.

When I would do work for family or close friends, I'm very picky about if I'll take the tree down, and it's understood I'm not liable for damages. Now having said that, I'll never hesitate to rent equipment, or simply say no, this is a pro job. Let them come in and get it on the ground, then I'll take care of the rest.

The problem with insurance for a side gig is this: will you make enough to cover the cost of insurance? If you are doing just a few jobs a month, it probably won't.

Arborist insurance can get pricey. Get some estimates.

Latest posts

Back