Side loading trees when rigging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems to me that so of you think that accident site investigation is totaly inaccurate. I not going to be able to point out all of the good and logical statements made by all of you and reply to them . You guys make some excelent points about loads angles and friction. The guy in question will never be able to learn form his mistake ( DOA ). Thats why I started this thread and have deen working on a load calculation program. Just for all the SA out their my dad has been helping me with some of the cal because he has a mechanical and structural eng degrees. When you start looking at what is involoved with figuring out all the forces that are applied it gets complicated quick. what I am looking for is a way to scientifically back up the so called commen sense approach to tree work that we all use daily.

Originally posted by r/ctree
When you start looking at what is involoved with figuring out all the forces that are applied it gets complicated quick. What I am looking for is a way to scientifically back up the so called commen sense approach to tree work that we all use daily.

Well, i'm with that! Fact is, i've been waiting for others to say so, for it A)Would so obviously be in everone's best interest and B)It seems that a number of us are trying to all ways and always do the same thing. Let alone, individual passions!

i think that the first thing to do would be just to name all of the adjustable elements, and static ones. In the end, all we are doing is guessing in the field, doing that more knowledgeabley is the way to go! Generally, i think that it comes down to an experienced craftsman, assessing and polishing up the most strategic points of power and weakness in a rig, to strategically increase the most positive chances for success.

Usually, i learn the most running everything tweaked to maximum, then stand to witness the first componenet alteration/failure and it's resultant output to test my presently running understanding against. Work in Progress!

I total agree know matter how much we can prove with math it will always be a guess. If we learn more about what we do we can never go wrong whrn doing that. If anyone has websites or e-mail for contacts or information about tree strengths (capacities) it would be appreciated. It would help me with my project.

Latest posts

Back