side tensioning bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Intenz

I was given a Poulan Pro 4218 with the Oregon Intenz bar. IMO, it is a POS. Many people come to me to "borrow" a chainsaw. I won't loan out my good saws, but I have loaned out the Poulan POS.

It seems that the saw comes back with complaints like: "that thing sure likes to throw chains" or "how do you keep the chain tight?".

The bar is straight and now the POS spur sprocket is new. I will continue to loan this saw out, but I think that most of the problems are due to the Intenz bar. Just my 2¢

JQ

i also have a pp260 with the intenz. while i dont like it, it took me quite a while to get the chain properly tensioned so it wouldnt throw chain. once the chain bar nuts are tight, the intenz, or any other chain tensioning system has no effect anyway.

i place the tip of the bar on a log so the saw in only on the ground by its rear handle and then when you tighten the intenz spur you are actually forcing the bar tip 'up' at the same time. if i had the saw level on the ground i could never get the chain tight and it would always throw.

in any event you can always get a real tightener screw and cam from any wild thing saw and put their, and still use the intenz bar if there any life left in it.

i also have a pp260 with the intenz. while i dont like it, it took me quite a while to get the chain properly tensioned so it wouldnt throw chain. once the chain bar nuts are tight, the intenz, or any other chain tensioning system has no effect anyway.

i place the tip of the bar on a log so the saw in only on the ground by its rear handle and then when you tighten the intenz spur you are actually forcing the bar tip 'up' at the same time. if i had the saw level on the ground i could never get the chain tight and it would always throw.

in any event you can always get a real tightener screw and cam from any wild thing saw and put their, and still use the intenz bar if there any life left in it.

Well you see that's just it, I want to replace the old screw type tightning system (old Poulan 3400) with a side access style. I don't want to use Intenz, so I was wondering what else was available.

I have not seen any other brands with the adjuster built into the bar.

considering that it it only works so-so, you probably wont find another.

the intenz to me was marketed for homeowners/weekend warriors, but to my mind actually needed some decent mechanical ability to diagnose and get right.

if you want to shag with it, you can put an intenz bar on your poulan and only remoce the chain tightner screw and cam if the bar slots fit...

Well you see that's just it, I want to replace the old screw type tightning system (old Poulan 3400) with a side access style. I don't want to use Intenz, so I was wondering what else was available.

Just curious, WHY?

I wonder if "Oregon Engineer" will jump in........

Just curious, WHY?

I wonder if "Oregon Engineer" will jump in........

I'm completely rebuilding the saw and since I need to get another bar anyway (the one on it is destroyed) I thought I would "upgrade" I have the Intenz bar on my little Troy-Bilt and don't really like it. I do, however, like the side access feature.

I have a friend that got one of the Craftsman by Poulan saws with it...About the only way I could figure out to get the chain tensioned right is to use the scrench in the bar slot, hold tension on it with one hand and use a ratchet/socket to tighten the bar nuts.

I have a friend that got one of the Craftsman by Poulan saws with it...About the only way I could figure out to get the chain tensioned right is to use the scrench in the bar slot, hold tension on it with one hand and use a ratchet/socket to tighten the bar nuts.

exactly, next time try my method of inclining the saw and see if it helps...

Back