Silvey 510 source

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagspe208

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anone have one for sale? (cause you need a razrII or ??) Or who has a decent price on new ones?
I am in St. Louis area but could not find a link to local dealers.
Thanks
Wags

Good luck on getting one of them. The square grinders are easier to find used.

Could not see a price online. Theuir PDF file would not load all the way for me.
I'll give em a buzz tomorrow.
Any other places?
Wags

Could not see a price online. Theuir PDF file would not load all the way for me.
I'll give em a buzz tomorrow.
Any other places?
Wags

no point they have the best prices on all silvey products, unless you find on used.

but 780 right now on the 510 from them

Wow, they want 780 and the other guys are asking 900 to 950 for the 510? I assume they must be a big dealer to sell that cheap.
Wags

Well, the piece is on the way. It should be here Monday or Tuesday at the latest.
Any tips? Or take it out of the box and run it?
Thanks
Wags

well, the piece is on the way. It should be here monday or tuesday at the latest.
Thanks
wags
wagspe208,you will only b sorry once for spending that much money. Madsens, is the way 2 go. I am known 2 madsen ,as "the tarheel pest", speak with warren, an pass on 2 him as i referred you.when u can afford, get you a silvey tool that cuts the drags.i had a brain poot and 4 got the silvey name.this takes the guess work out.they have a sale once a year, will knock off a $100 or so,warren can tell you. I hopes this helps an madsens is great, i am a repeat offender,especially 2 warren, john in n.c. Or mike my other name,warren knos who i am

They seemed like great guys. I know it wasn't Warren I talked to. Maybe Mike.
They said they would toss in a catalog.
I need to cut some this weekend. Oh, well. I will sharpen my ass off next week, then give it a try.
As it worked out I had some batteries to scrap. I had 2200lbs, so that was 580 bucks. That made the sharpener cheap. YEA!
Thanks for the tip.
Wags

Well, the piece is on the way. It should be here Monday or Tuesday at the latest.
Thanks
Wags

good deal man, gettin it from madsens.

its a chain sharpener. set it and run it hahahaha.

I ordered a depth gauge too. I got the Oregon one. The FOP is not currently being made according to Madsens and they did not have any. Most of my chains are in great shape cutter wise. The rakers are probably pretty close, but might as well check em.
Have the spot all picked out to mount it too. Now, just waiting for it to get here.
Wags

Well, the 510 showed up yesterday. This is my first chain sharpener, so can't compare to other models. I can say the following:
This piece is solid! Good machine work on parts. Good fit. Heavy. Well thought out. No slop in moving pivots, etc. So, without ever grinding a chain I can say it is well made. It will outlast me. So, when I kick off, look for the auction. HA Did I mention I was impressed with how solid it was?
I mounted the grinder, dressed the wheel, and tossed in a chain. The anges are pre set on the 510 at 35*. My chains are at 30*. I seem to remember reading something about this. I will search for a while and see what I come up with. I use the stihl chains. yellow..
Wags

wagspe208,you will only b sorry once for spending that much money. Madsens, is the way 2 go. I am known 2 madsen ,as "the tarheel pest", speak with warren, an pass on 2 him as i referred you.when u can afford, get you a silvey tool that cuts the drags.i had a brain poot and 4 got the silvey name.this takes the guess work out.they have a sale once a year, will knock off a $100 or so,warren can tell you. I hopes this helps an madsens is great, i am a repeat offender,especially 2 warren, john in n.c. Or mike my other name,warren knos who i am

Warren is a good guy for sure!

Angle issue= no real issue. I just reset the stops to 30* for the stihl chains. I guess Oregon? does 35*.
The grinder is awesome. It is fast, accurate, durable, reliable, etc. I had been looking at the Oregon 511 ax and its 400 ish. So, for another 400 I bought this one. It will outlast me.
I have done a few chains, ran em. They cut their ass off. I have probably 10 to 15 chains. As soon as they dull and do powder I toss em and put on another one. I am a firewood guy. Dirty wood, some hollow/ rotten in middle stuff, so some days I go through some chains. Others, it is a breeze.
I have no regrets buying this piece. I may have had regrets buying something cheaper.
Wags

angle issue= no real issue. I just reset the stops to 30* for the stihl chains. I guess oregon? Does 35*.
The grinder is awesome. It is fast, accurate, durable, reliable, etc. I had been looking at the oregon 511 ax and its 400 ish. So, for another 400 i bought this one. It will outlast me.
I have done a few chains, ran em. They cut their ass off. I have probably 10 to 15 chains. As soon as they dull and do powder i toss em and put on another one. I am a firewood guy. Dirty wood, some hollow/ rotten in middle stuff, so some days i go through some chains. Others, it is a breeze.
I have no regrets buying this piece. I may have had regrets buying something cheaper.
Wags
hi wagspe208, u may already kno this, madsens has info on their site that is helpful using the 510.i think u can download for future reference.need 2 get u a dressing block dress the wheel opposite direction for the side of chain you grinding,then do the opposite side same way,really makes the wheel grind really great. Thanks i hope this helps,"the tarheel hagen". I thought of something else,try to keep right an left side the same length,or your sawing will look like you are trying to do a cutout for a banana boat.good luck

I assume if I use the chain stop set the same (knob not moved) the teeth will be the same length. My "professionally" sharpened chains are not all the same, so I will work them to that point. I'll download the info from Madsens.
It came with a brick dresser thing. I never thought about dressing the wheel turning in the direction of grinding. That makes total sense, though. I did grind from the outside in on the teeth. (well, I forgot for 1/4 of 1 chain)
Wags
Thanks for the tips.

i assume if i use the chain stop set the same (knob not moved) the teeth will be the same length. My "professionally" sharpened chains are not all the same, so i will work them to that point. I'll download the info from madsens.
It came with a brick dresser thing. I never thought about dressing the wheel turning in the direction of grinding. That makes total sense, though. I did grind from the outside in on the teeth. (well, i forgot for 1/4 of 1 chain)
wags
thanks for the tips.
wag,i dress the wheel,or have the wheel in reverse direction,for the teeth on side that i will be grinding. I dont do this everytime when i do a new loop.i will when the wheel does not have bite or when the grinder wheel starts blue the tooth. I also use short touches on the tooth from the wheel. I also when start on the other side of the chain,i turn the finger adjustment back then till starts cutting the tooth. I do one tooth on the new side an check to see how much more or less i need to take off,to keep the right and left teeth the same length.thanks john in n.c.i hope i have not confused you. Sometimes i am not to good going from fingers to the keypad.

Back