Simonized saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recall some of the Smokey stories, yeah the 7/8 scale thing was for real. He apparently asked the scruitners for the specs on a new model of car (forget what it was) - the bugger then changed the specs and built a racer to those specs. Unfortunately, another fellow entered another car which was the same model. When the measurements didn't add up, they figured out what had happened.

Another trick he pulled was filling the roll cage tubing with water before being weighed in. He had drain plugs installed on the bottom of the tubing to drain the cage before the race.

Some of the tricks weren't really cheating, just clever. Like putting an extra large diameter fuel hose on the fuel tank to extend the fuel mileage. They pulled the tank off of that car to check it and he still had enough fuel left in the hose to drive back to his pit crew.

Simon, send it regular mail if you can! PM me what I owe you so I can get you some money sent! Don't want you hanging out. No biggie on it not being here, just glad to know it's safe.:msp_smile:
I've been buried with hay the last couple of weeks, the neighboring farmer fell 14' and landed across a gate, he got two 17" titanium rods and bolts and screws in his back as a result and me and the boys have been doing all his farm work. We've literally been going from 6:30 to dark thirty on most days, tonight we all came in at 11:00 with the wife pizzed over fixing a good supper to sit and get cold. We have to raise the feed lines in his broiler houses tonight at 2:00 am in one house and at 5:00 am in the other as they are catching the chickens to go to the processor around 10:00, they can't have any food in their system prior to slaughter. It's going to be a long day tomorrow. We've got around 50 heifer calves to work on Friday, I don't see the saws coming out for another couple weeks anyway. Thanks for the patience on your end!

I will be in Victoria this time next week!!!!! Look out!!! Better have some of that good Canadian homebrew beer good and cold!!!! Ehhhh?

Yeah I only had the problem shipping my 365/372 to Canada,, did not get Return repair on the declaration paper,,, put it on the shipping label,,, cost me 80.00+ must get it on the declaration paperwork

where the form ask for what it is,,,,, just say machinery parts, value @ 100.00

Had no problem coming home,,, I drained the tank, pulled the fuel line off the carb inlet tube blew the fuel out if the fueline/filter with the filter out of the tank,,, let it air dry for acouple of days before I shipped,,, wrapped it good, double bagged no fuel smell problems

I have a simonized saw,,, it does have a lot of torque,,, Pulls a 32" bar with semi skip chain very well in wood over 30"
its not quite broken in yet,,, but its getting there!!!!

Wish I knew this about a month a go. Sent a saw to Canada the end of May and it's who knows where, my PO said it's in Canada but it's nowhere to be found. So what's the deal with Canada's PO?

Last edited:
Crap, with this info from Andy, send the sucker UPS, declare it machine parts, repaired and returned on the customs declaration. Sounds like they are on full strike vs part time strike.

I hate to disapoint, but I'm all out of my homebrew beer! PM me your dates here, and we'll see if we can have a lilttle visit or something.

Until you run one of my saws!!!!! LOL. ;)

Why didn't you send one of your saws to the TN GTG? Sounds like it would have made us all look bad.

Last edited:
They are apparently legislated back to work tomorrow. I don't like to see people lose their jobs but the system will eventually go by the way of the Dodo bird. The internet has made that system obsolete on almost every level. The scraps left over are being devoured by Purolater, Loomis, UPS,....PS I wouldn't call them lazy Mr.Utah. The CEO's making $20M a year are the ones that cause companies to fold in many cases. Anyone that wakes up and puts in a days work to support welfare bums and losers is A-Ok in my books, be it a McDonald's employee or a brain surgeon.

Last edited:
.................... :spam: .................... :spam: .................... :spam: .................... :spam:....................

No offense, Simon may be the best sandpaper spinning engine builder in the world. I just thought that doing so in open forum was always frowned upon. I know he can get his own forum subcategory...But There are other engine modders who most likely are more qualified saying less. I guess that the GtG will decide that for the most part.
.................... :spam: .................... :spam: .................... :spam: .................... :spam:....................

Hey, Scott, what are your thoughts on how the Simonized 372 did at the Build-Off GTG? His saw didn't win, but the times for the top six saws was basically a matter of splitting hairs.

Well I've had my Simonized 372 for several weeks now and can say without any second thought's I will be a repeat customer .For those of you that don't know I bought the saw from AS member Thechainsawguy ( Dave ) who is a great guy to deal with and Simon had no problems answering a few questions which he didn't have to and has been most helpful. My saw is running a 8 pin sprocket with 24" bar in mostly hardwood with very good results. My self and WYK will be doing a bit more messing around with the modded and standard saws soon and Im sure will be a vidieo of the antics
So a very big thank you Simon and Dave !!

Hey, Scott, what are your thoughts on how the Simonized 372 did at the Build-Off GTG? His saw didn't win, but the times for the top six saws was basically a matter of splitting hairs.

My Simonized 372 still needs about 30 more tanks of fuel through it to be broken in and a tweak on the carb I feel it did very well @ TN GTG,,, It has gobbs of torque and has since I first fired it up upon reciept back from Canada,,, wille trying to get it broken in I was running a 32" bar on it and was amazed @ how well it pulled buried in a 30+" sweet gum log,,,, my nephew ran it a tank or so when I got too hot,,,,, and he thought it was my 390XP until he looked @ the sticker on the recoil,,, then he accused me of something,,,, I wont repeat what he said!!!!
It has a very broad powerband and just seems to keep on pulling!!!! It will be great to use when I get a few trees to fall and it seems to get stronger with every tank...

I really like it alot,,,

Last edited:
That's what porting brings to a sawyer. You can run a longer bar, and oftentimes better than it ran a shorter bar previously, on a smaller chassis. It's a no-brainer for cutters.

My Simonized 372 still needs about 30 more tanks of fuel through it to be broken in and a tweak on the carb I feel it did very well @ TN GTG,,, It has gobbs of torque and has since I first fired it up upon reciept back from Canada,,, wille trying to get it broken in I was running a 32" bar on it and was amazed @ how well it pulled buried in a 30+" sweet gum log,,,, my nephew ran it a tank or so when I got too hot,,,,, and he thought it was my 390XP until he looked @ the sticker on the recoil,,, then he accused me of something,,,, I wont repeat what he said!!!!
It has a very broad powerband and just seems to keep on pulling!!!! It will be great to use when I get a few trees to fall and it seems to get stronger with every tank...

I really like it alot,,,

They are apparently legislated back to work tomorrow. I don't like to see people lose their jobs but the system will eventually go by the way of the Dodo bird. The internet has made that system obsolete on almost every level. The scraps left over are being devoured by Purolater, Loomis, UPS,....PS I wouldn't call them lazy Mr.Utah. The CEO's making $20M a year are the ones that cause companies to fold in many cases. Anyone that wakes up and puts in a days work to support welfare bums and losers is A-Ok in my books, be it a McDonald's employee or a brain surgeon.

Most of them are very nice people, but the whole union things just makes asses out of otherwise nice people. The mail system should be privatized for better service and less politics.

Back