Simonized saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries, you will be running one of my saws soon. Resistance is futile, you WILL be assimilated. :laugh:

As bad as I hate to admit it. Simon does build a strong saw.
I got to run one at the TN GTG.
That was the best part of the GTG. I got to run other builders saws side by side. Otherwise I would probably never have the opprtunity to do so. I've got allot to learn on building saws still yet.

That was the best part of the GTG. I got to run other builders saws side by side. Otherwise I would probably never have the opprtunity to do so. I've got allot to learn on building saws still yet.
Glad you liked it Stumpy. Modding saws is an ongoing learning experience. For all of us. The biggest and best secret is to only do one change at a time and re-test. If you change two things, you don't know what had the most significant impact. It takes time, lots of time. The other secret is consistency and tolerances. Once I am happy with a particular saw, everything is documented and the machining is +/- 0.002" on everything I touch. Every saw should ideally run like the last.

Stumpy did it have the 28" bar on it when you ran it,,, After the competition???

If so I apologize that Chain was way dull,, I had left my 24" bar @ home so the competition chain with 5 cuts on it was in my tool box,,, You would have seen a big difference with a sharp chain,,, Sorry about that,,,

I'll chime in a bit here because at this stage of the thread there is no way in hell I would ever contemplate getting a Simonised saw.
Customers do demand proof or evidence of the type of work you do Simon, particularly when you offer no significant advantage at this stage over other builders on this site. Problem is that you've come in bragging about how many work saws you have out there and just how good they are yet not once have you really backed it up.

I also run work saws from another saw builder on this site and couldn't be happier. Without any real, solid input from yourself why would I change and give your saws a shot?

Hiding behind your obviously high IQ and witty (read: sarcastic) remarks will not get you extra customers. Maybe you do build good saws or maybe you're just an over qualified little smart arsed brat who "thinks" he's a good saw builder? We've all seen them before. After all this is the modern age where anybody online can blow their own trumpet about how good they are and never feel that they may have to back up their very own hype with hard facts. Also the fact that you're an engineer means diddley squat when it comes to building saws. Remember that you're "modifying" them, not designing them.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now as I'm "semi" confident you know what you're doing and I'm a long way from Canada to chase up and talk to loggers that are using your saws. I'll let other guys here sort that side of things out but you do need to whack a few videos on here to get some cred, otherwise you're just all talk and that won't get any of my business...

By the way, I ran AUSSIE1's home modified 371XP last year with BB kit that was an absolute weapon. This is a guy that mods saws out of pure enjoyment in his back shed yet does an excellent job. He never even bragged about it, he let me do that for him :) Maybe you could learn something by that?
Ah, the good old days. lol. I guess I was a bit cocky though. Thanks for putting up with my arrogance at times. Cheers guys, glad we are all buddies now.PS. MCW had every right to post that, he is a good guy.

Last edited:
Glad you liked it Stumpy. Modding saws is an ongoing learning experience. For all of us. The biggest and best secret is to only do one change at a time and re-test. If you change two things, you don't know what had the most significant impact. It takes time, lots of time. The other secret is consistency and tolerances. Once I am happy with a particular saw, everything is documented and the machining is +/- 0.002" on everything I touch. Every saw should ideally run like the last.

Thats my biggest goal is repeatability. Even if they aint the fastest(yet)LOL. at least sombody can know what they're getting.

Stumpy did it have the 28" bar on it when you ran it,,, After the competition???

If so I apologize that Chain was way dull,, I had left my 24" bar @ home so the competition chain with 5 cuts on it was in my tool box,,, You would have seen a big difference with a sharp chain,,, Sorry about that,,,

I believe It was the 28". I noticed it was a tat dull & judged the saw accordingly. It & the rest of the top saws that I ran had a different feel to the power curve than my saws.

Ah, the good old days. lol. I guess I was a bit cocky though. Thanks for putting up with my arrogance at times. Cheers guys, glad we are all buddies now.PS. MCW had every right to post that, he is a good guy.

Awe shucks... Fanks Simon...

Seriously though I think you're well and truly in the AS crowd now :) And you've proven to build a good saw too which is dandy :cheers: Delightful in fact!

Simon, back to the original post where you were talking about prices... The replacement 372 piston, is it still a husky piston?

Not asking for secrets, I was just wondering

Simon and I had a good visit on the phone, due to the postal situation, the 460 was sent back via UPS yesterday morning. I can tell you guys that Simon is one of the easiest guys to do business with that you would want to ever want to meet. After you talk with him, you will understand that he takes great pride in his work and is very meticulous in every detail of the saw. He knows what he does to each saw down to the thousandth. No
guessing, his performance is repeatable from saw to saw with his techniques. No wonder he has a following of repeat customers, they know from saw to saw they will get the same performance.
The ash log will have three months more seasoning on it, but don't expect it to slow the saw down any.

Synthetic Stihl ultra @ 40:1

I've bought 4 new saws this year. 3 were broke in on orange stihl. Broke in nicely in a couple days. Just for ####s and giggles I broke my 372xt in on what you're using. It took 15 days for that ####er to break in.

I'm like you Sam using orange bottle stihl for break in. I try to run 2.5 gallons or so of it before the ultra. Seems to help them break in a lot faster that way.

Latest posts

Back