Since it's poll season, let's look at the 50cc class saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What 50cc class "pro saw" do you like, or which one would you get?

• Stihl MS260

Votes: 62 35.4%
  • Husky 346XP (old model)

Votes: 29 16.6%
  • Husky 353

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Jonsered 2152

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Dolmar 5100S

Votes: 50 28.6%
  • Shindaiwa 488

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.3%

• Total voters

NYH1

Tacticle Chainsaw Operator.
Reaction score
What 50cc class "pro saw" do you like, or which one would you get? I listed the saws I think are the most popular. If I left any out I'm sorry. Poll season is upon us!

Stihl MS260

Husky 346XP (old model)

Husky 353

Johnny Red 2152

Dolmar 5100S

Shindaiwa 488

Other.

I like the Husky 353 with a 16" b&c. Hopefully I'll be getting one shortly. I'll use it for felling, blocking and limbing hardwood up to 12 inches or so. The 353 along with my 365 is pretty much all I'll need for what I do. :rockn:

I can't really say too much as I only have a few under 50 CC and one of them has been reworked so it isn't stock at all. That said,a 346 Husky is a nice saw but so is the 260 Stihl.

I go for the 260 because I have the old version, the 026. I never ran a Dolmar 5100, but heard good things about them here.

028Super Rocks !!! 5100 second.Then the ol' Jonsered 49 SP just cause it'e fun,has a sound all it's own.

If I had to pick only one 50cc saw, and didn't have the other saws I have, it would be the 5100S, mainly because of versatility.
Both the old and the new 346xp is nimbler and "feels" better, but then there is the outboard clutch, making them less veratile, and the less power of the old one (jury still out on the new one)......

Both is a good choise......:ices_rofl:

Last edited:
My Vote went for the 2152, which is the same saw as the Husky 353. It really fly's through the stuff in the 10-12" size, and had respectful performance for me with an 18" bar through 16-18" hardwood. Its still stock and I may replace the Cat muffler to try and wake it up even more.

I haven't tried the others, and there is no Dolmar dealer close, I think the closest one is about an hr, but from all the good comments on them I'd love to try one.

Wus up wid deez polls?

I voted, but feel I must qualify it... I've only used two of the saws on that list and like both of 'em. The 026/260 & 346 are both quality saws, would be happy with either for a limber. Inboard clutch does tip the scales a bit though.......

Would love to get my hands on a 5100 to try out and see what all the hype is about. Plus don't have any red in my arsenal.

Last edited:
All this talk about the 346 being such a good saw? So much better anti vibe, so much better air filtration. Looks as if AS thinks different. Guess I better buy me a 5100 or a 260, welllllllllll too late:bowdown:

It's pretty much a draw for me between the 260 and the 346....My 346 has been modded and will cut the pants off of my 260,but I still like my 260.

I went with the 346xp it just feels so light and nimble.Plus cuts like a scalded dog 346xp:bowdown:

I voted other because my 51 is the best 50 cc saw I ever ran but if I had to pick one from the list the 346 or 353or the 5100.I've heard good things about dolmars.

Your right,

Anybody would do well buying any of them. I like the 346XP, I don't have one but it seems like a great all around saw. That being said, I don't think you could do better than a 5100S, for the money.
They're $389.
A lot cheaper than the 260PRO or the 346XP.

Best bang for the buck is the 5100S, I think. That's where I put my money.

Mitch

The 488![/COLOR]Ok I had to, but there isn't a bad one in this bunch.

We had a Shiny 488 at work that the guys used down in the yard sawing LVL lumber. Tell ya what, thats not a bad little saw. They beat the living hell out of it and it kept right on going.

Latest posts

Back