Skidding logs with a Dodge Ram!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had 5k in concrete blocks on the bed of my dually, and other than squatting the rear end, you would never hardly know it was there. You all just need to give in and admit that:

CUMMINS

Is The Best !!!! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

And No, I know there is no 5.9 in a big rig, they are more like 14 liter in-line six cylinder engines. I was simply making a statement to look at who makes those engines. You dont see Powerstroke diesel motors in medium or heavy-duty trucks, but you do see cummins, detroit, and cat. Even ford offers the 5.9 liter cummins in there F650 and up, that should tell you something about the 5.9. Although now they are using the new 6.7 liter cummins with all the emission junk on it.

Ok guys.........here's the proof!

Last night my friend found his dyno sheet with the HP and TQ specs. So again......1997 Dodge Ram Cummins 1ton Duallie used for skidding logs (it can be done and was shown at the begining of this thread). The paper work doesn't tell a lie. Enjoy! :popcorn:

Stock Factory specs: 180hp/420ft lbs tq

My friend's output: 356hp/844ft lbs tq

I could easily bomb my 97 Cummins tubo diesel to 300+HP, but will not not. until I put in a new three disc torque converter and rebuild tranny.

Last night my friend found his dyno sheet with the HP and TQ specs. So again......1997 Dodge Ram Cummins 1ton Duallie used for skidding logs (it can be done and was shown at the begining of this thread). The paper work doesn't tell a lie. Enjoy! :popcorn:

That doesn't prove that he skidded the log with his truck.

That doesn't prove that he skidded the log with his truck.

That doesn't prove he could get traction to skid logs with his truck!!!

Not Smart ?? I am simply stating the facts. Go To fords website, you already posted the numbers, ect. Cat is a very good diesel motor. Powerstrokes are light duty v-8s that started out as converted gas motors, same as chevy. Cummins 5.9 is not even in the same class as those v-8 motors. Ford and Chevy are considered light duty motors, Cummins 5.9 is a medium duty motor used in much larger trucks and equipment than a 1 ton truck. Do your homework before you open your mouth :buttkick:

I thought that GM uses their D-max in ALL of their trucks?

Everybody should have watched the episode on "Trucks". He hooked up to a big rig with a d9 dozer on it (I am pretty sure it was a d9) and pulled the entire load down the road with a 1-ton duallie. It was pretty impressive. That show use to be awesome until the new guys took over the show. I wouldn't have thought that truck would have pulled that load, but it sure did, semi and all. I believe that was with a chevy dually, so you can imagine what the dodge and cummins combo could do !!! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: Stihl-kid, mine dynoed at 427 hp, and around 850 on torque, that is with a box, intake, and exhaust. I have friends that build 12 valve pulling trucks who are running around 120-150 lbs of boost. It is truly awesome seeing those trucks run. I am going to get a 12 valve one of these days when I find one with the right price. I really miss my old one.

That doesn't prove he could get traction to skid logs with his truck!!!

I know my duallie even with 4x4 is absolutely horrible in the snow unless I have about 2000 lbs in the bed lol. Then it will go where ever I want it to. I wouldn't doubt the truck pulled that log, but I would say he would have to have some weight in the bed just for traction in the snow. Two years ago when we had a bad snow storm, I spent the night in my truck lol. After digging it out three different times I finally gave up and set the idle up on the truck and went to sleep. We filled the bed with snow and weight the next morning and I was okay. My truck bucks so bad in the snow, you just cant hardly go in it. I would really like to find a set of traction bars for it, if anyone built any for the stock trucks, they would help a lot with these trucks.

Just thought I'd throw a couple of pics showing the skidding operations my friend does with his Dodge Ram 1ton Dualie.

Equipment used:

97' Dodge Ram Cummins

Steel cable with clevises

heavy duty towing hitch

Oh, and not to forget.......plenty of brute force and ignorance :hmm3grin2orange:

No doubt those diesel trucks can pull a lot. But I would tell your friend that he would be better of using chain unless he has a winch. It is a foul holt in the picture and will kink/break the cable and be hard to unhook. The thing with cable is there is no way to easily shorten up unless you have a drum/winch and when pulling the closer to the load the easier it comes.
So ground skidding with a truck it is best to temporarily mount a grab hook to your pulling point and use a chain on the log. Then you can shorten up.
The highest hitch point you can get will also make a big difference. A truck with a flat bed and a grab hook mounted on the bed will actually lift the front end of a log when it is hooked up short. If the hitch point is above the log instead of down at the same level like a trailer hitch you can pull a lot more. It is the porch swing effect.

Back