Skidding logs with a Dodge Ram!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes that is one thing I do not like about the chevy. I cannot believe they put that on the one-ton duallies, and got away from the straight axle.

So you like the choppy ride. I'm not a chevy guy myself but there independent front end is light years ahead of dodge or ford, it also costs more for Chevy to produce, it's just a much better setup. The only reason Ford and Dodge don't use an independent set up, is because of one thing money, it's much cheaper to use a solid axle. Same thing with the Ford mustang it's all about saving money.

In all honesty I dislike the big three, they fill our heads with that's not strong enough, that won't last long, but ten years down the road there using it, whatever it is.

The solid axle is much stronger that the independent front suspension. People expect to buy a 1-ton dually and have it ride like a cadillac and that is not going to happen. These trucks are meant to be worked not rode around in just to say I have a huge truck with a diesel motor in it, which is what a lot of people i see are doing. They dont even have anything to pull, and they are driving around in a 3/4 or a 1 ton pickup. I couldnt tell you how many CV joints I have seen torn up on the new chevy 1-ton trucks. My buddy just had a solid axle put in the front of his. The one thing I wish dodge would do is put a lockout on the front of these trucks instead of the automatic hub. I am not all that impressed with the dodge pickup, other than the motor. I would have to say the nicest truck I have driven so far as interior and ride would have to be the chevy. Chevys big mistake was putting aluminum heads on a diesel motor.

I am just waiting to see what Toyota is going to do on the diesel truck market here in the US. Sad, but they will probably have something better than any of the big three.

I had an old 84 Buick diesel at one time, what a POS. I found it funny that GM had to have Isuzu build them a diesel motor.

Aluminum heads have always been a hot topic. Most of the gossip came from the old Crosleys (spelling)? without the proper head gaskets, aluminum heads on an iron block would cause electrolysis, this turns the coolant to acid, the motors would rust from the inside out. Everything else, like head warping, expansion and so on, is nothing but old school BS. In fact engines with aluminum heads often do better. If alum heads fail on an engine it's do to bad designed not the fact that they are aluminum.

I do however think that the Cummins engine is the best of the three.

Later Andy.

certainly not an expert, only recently purchased a 97 12valve cummins turbo diesel. 97 12v is considered the best year made.

could be wrong remember seeing... cummins 5.9 is rated to pull 46k lbs and is not used in big rigs.

5.9 cummins is used in Freightliner mid sized trucks. here's discussion about 5.9 cummins used in Ford.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/archiv...83&page=21&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1.htm

Yes it is the C-7 ...

All Im asking is where is there a 5.9 cummins in a Big Rig ???? And what is considered a Big Rig?? Thats all Im asking ..

Toyota takeover? I doubt it.

I am just waiting to see what Toyota is going to do on the diesel truck market here in the US. Sad, but they will probably have something better than any of the big three.

Judging by the Tundra I'd say there is little to worry about. Have you seen that tiny rear end they put on em'? Work them at all and those axle bearings will be sloppy at 50k miles.
Personally, I wouldn't have a Ford 6.0 diesel(maybe the 6.4 will be better), and Dodge can't build a good automatic tranny-they should concentrate on that instead of screwing with a new engine.
No, I like my GMC Duramax with it's smooth ride and the so far bullet proof Allison tranny (118k miles). That doesn't mean much unless you tow and haul. I do alot of that.
My 2 cents

Powerstrokes are light duty v-8s that started out as converted gas motors, same as chevy.

Neither the 7.3L, 6.0L, 6.4L or 6.6L are based on gas engines. These are all diesel engines through and through. I spent 4 years as a Ford dealer tech.

Who cares what engine has the biggest con rods? If they don't break it doesn't matter.

I am a tech at a Dodge dealer now and we see quite a few problems with pumps on the 24v engines. We also see a few blocks with porous castings causing coolant to leak out the block.

Judging by the Tundra I'd say there is little to worry about. Have you seen that tiny rear end they put on em'? Work them at all and those axle bearings will be sloppy at 50k miles.
Personally, I wouldn't have a Ford 6.0 diesel(maybe the 6.4 will be better), and Dodge can't build a good automatic tranny-they should concentrate on that instead of screwing with a new engine.
No, I like my GMC Duramax with it's smooth ride and the so far bullet proof Allison tranny (118k miles). That doesn't mean much unless you tow and haul. I do alot of that.
My 2 cents

The new Tundra has a much larger axle under it.

Believe it or not, but the last 6.0's have been better than the 7.3 ever was. Waaayyyy more power too.;)

real horsepower

since this thread is now way off topic i thought i'd show you guys some real horsepower. i'm not sure about the tow truck but the mack attatched to the house is 500hp. btw thats 4500 sq' brick attatched, and a 4 car garage we figured 80 ton

dead-on comments for 24valve cummins, 98.5 to 2002. they had VP44 bosch fuel inj pump that depended upon lift pump to cool. it's common for lift pump to fail, taking out main VP44. costing $2k+ to fix. to add insult to injury in 1998 they started using #53 blocks that failed on side of block leaking coolant.

that's why 12valve cummins is considered to be best, with 97 being the last year of 12valve with all bugs worked out. it's easy to bomb a cummins to 300+hp and not lose mileage or reliability.

24valve CTD folks use fuel pressure gauges to keep track of lift pumps, extending life. it's not unusual for CTD folks to rack up 400k+ miles. this includes the 24valve folks.

loads of CTD's running around with 500HP to rear wheels. some are pulling 700+ HP running 1/4 miles times of 12 seconds.

Neither the 7.3L, 6.0L, 6.4L or 6.6L are based on gas engines. These are all diesel engines through and through. I spent 4 years as a Ford dealer tech.

Who cares what engine has the biggest con rods? If they don't break it doesn't matter.

I am a tech at a Dodge dealer now and we see quite a few problems with pumps on the 24v engines. We also see a few blocks with porous castings causing coolant to leak out the block.

Last edited:
My 2 cents

The Tundra rear end is the same a a Tacoma rear end, straight from a Toyota master tech over at the diesel stop, I thought he was kidding until I went down to the dealership in looked :laugh:, that's why the Tundra has never had a large towing capacity. I'm not sure if the new tundra with the 5.7 is the same but the trucks I looked at last year where nice riding trucks that I would not want to work at all. I Think they just upped the towing capacity to 10,000lbs?? thats nothing in the truck world. I love my 96 F350 solid front axle, it will take it and then some, If I want smooth quite ride I will drive my Toyota Camry. :D Otherwise I like my old 96', I like my 7.3 because of the most important feature Its PAID FOR!!!!! :clap: If you want to stuff a Cummins under the hood I would not stop you either mothing wring with that engine at all :biggrinbounce2: all the new diesel emmision regs comming out is going to reak havoc on the cost and reliability of all the brands of truck I'm glad I dont have to worry about buying a new one! :cheers:

No matter the maker, diesel power is definitely the way to go. You can get more bolt on power per dollar with a diesel engine than a gas engine any day. Duramax was built from the ground up. GM diesel engines used to be guttless but the Duramax mated with the Allison tranny is a totally awesome combonation. And, by the way, take a look at all the new 2007 shifters in these trucks and guess what they are all going to...quite a bit of similarity with the gm shifters.

Doesn't matter. I've been a Chevy guy ever since my Dad bought his '68 Impala with the 327. I love their trucks...not too crazy about the Aluminum thing...but I still like their trucks. Dodge would be 2nd and Ford at the end. Kind of funny that Chevy Duramax has the lowest stock horsepower rating of the 3, but I still like them the best.

here's my 97 CTD loaded with 3k+lbs

ctd loaded.JPG

Is that loaded down with hardwood?? I've had 3500lbs in my '68 Chevy 3/4 ton a few times. Not that I really like doing that, but I've done it.

yup, loaded down with green hardwoods cut to 24in. that's about the heaviest I've had in my CTD bed.

Cummins hauled this load with little effort.

Back