Skull buckets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brain bucket

It was ten years ago monday of next week. I am stiff and have nerve damage down my right side. I am not able to look up very far. Not complaining just saying if I had a metal bucket I would have just had a badly strained neck. I retired because of the nerve damage to my right side.

It was ten years ago monday of next week. I am stiff and have nerve damage down my right side. I am not able to look up very far. Not complaining just saying if I had a metal bucket I would have just had a badly strained neck. I retired because of the nerve damage to my right side.

What do you do for work now? Was your injury job related or firewooding?

I like the Mac-T hats the best too, glad you can still get suspension for them. Anybody seen the tin hats that look like they are chrome plated? I remember the Weyerhaeuser siderods wearing them and at the time I thought they looked a little odd. I bought one in a box of stuff at an auction and it is still in perfect shape. Eight pt. suspension. Pretty classy looking.

In the midsummer sun/heat around here I can't wear a tin hat. That "cooler in the summer" is true in the PNW ( where there is still snow in the shade until about the end of July) but not here.

My dog just chewed the recently replaced suspension out of my Mac T so its time for my summer hat. Its full brim,white plastic a little heavier and lots cooler when its 90+.

Like shrimpers wearing white rubber boots. Smart.

I switched to aluminum to give it a try. I had always stuck with the integrated face screen style because I was so used to the screen. But, I got sick of the UV breakdown- putting your helmet on and hearing that undeniable crack from somewhere. Boy the aluminum sure does dent more easily, but so far so good. I've tried safety galsses and still can say I wear them most of the time but the fog and/or sweat make it tough. Glasses wearers may say suck it up but its hard to if you're not used to such annoyance.

But those Madsen's plastic one's SlowP showed are good, and only about $10. The cheap plastic ones in Bailey's suck. I went with the SB brand, the suspension felt lame at first but it broke in and feels fine now, since I don't know any better anyhow.

Like shrimpers wearing white rubber boots. Smart.

I switched to aluminum to give it a try. I had always stuck with the integrated face screen style because I was so used to the screen. But, I got sick of the UV breakdown- putting your helmet on and hearing that undeniable crack from somewhere. Boy the aluminum sure does dent more easily, but so far so good. I've tried safety galsses and still can say I wear them most of the time but the fog and/or sweat make it tough. Glasses wearers may say suck it up but its hard to if you're not used to such annoyance.

But those Madsen's plastic one's SlowP showed are good, and only about $10. The cheap plastic ones in Bailey's suck. I went with the SB brand, the suspension felt lame at first but it broke in and feels fine now, since I don't know any better anyhow.

If you can find those "vented" safety glasses, the work well with not getting fogged up. Stihl had some of them in the last two years.

But the sweat...

Bugz and white :msp_ohmy:hardhat.
My bugz have been used a bit now and are holding up well.
181122d1303568501-bugz-not-labs0001_1-jpg

181123d1303568580-hooktender-work20001-jpg

View attachment 181122
View attachment 181123

Work

After I broke my neck on a logging job, I am living on a disability check and a few odd jobs and the rare logging job. Not fun being limited in what my neck is able to do.

After I broke my neck on a logging job, I am living on a disability check and a few odd jobs and the rare logging job. Not fun being limited in what my neck is able to do.

Yeah, I'll bet that's tough. In another thread you said you were a "former EMT". Was that before or after your helmet got punctured and your neck injured?

And, if you're getting a disability check and you're still doing odd jobs and "the rare logging job" how would it affect your disability if somebody were to mention that fact to whoever sends you your check?

You'd best get yourself gone.

Yeah, I'll bet that's tough. In another thread you said you were a "former EMT". Was that before or after your helmet got punctured and your neck injured?

And, if you're getting a disability check and you're still doing odd jobs and "the rare logging job" how would it affect your disability if somebody were to mention that fact to whoever sends you your check?

You'd best get yourself gone.

Good advice:msp_thumbup:

Brain Bucket

I steer clear of any thing other then cash. The limited work is only when I need some extra $$ for living exspenses. I do some volunteer work to keep busy. For 5 years I was a EMT I before the accident, I quit being a medic because of the accident.

Last edited:
I steer clear of any thing other then cash. The limited work is only when I need some extra $$ for living exspenses. I do some volunteer work to keep busy. For 5 years I was a EMT I before the accident, I quit being a medic because of the accident.

How did you brake your neck on a logging job if you where an EMT when it happened? I have never seen a EMT wear a logging helmet...lol Your storys dont add up...

How did you brake your neck on a logging job if you where an EMT when it happened? I have never seen a EMT wear a logging helmet...lol Your storys dont add up...

I worked as EMT I for a local VFD, being a EMT on logging crew made me a little extra dollars, remote locations mean help on site is awise choice for a logging company.

I worked as EMT I for a local VFD, being a EMT on logging crew made me a little extra dollars, remote locations mean help on site is awise choice for a logging company.

Fire department and a logging crew huh?...at what point and time did the "pro falling" job you said you had come into play?...im just trying to get some things straight as its not addding up...im really all ears...:biggrinbounce2:

Fire department and a logging crew huh?...at what point and time did the "pro falling" job you said you had come into play?...im just trying to get some things straight as its not addding up...im really all ears...:biggrinbounce2:

Dude. Really? I don't know Hillbilly or you. But really? This is what i f*****g hate about the internet. You're going to bust on a guy who broke his neck?! Even if you don't believe the story, keep it to yourself. Show some class. This kind of **** drives me crazy about this site. I can't see why a guy would fake a story about breaking his neck. Why? To get sympathy on this site from guys like you?! Show some respect or get lost.

Hey Hammer do you have your glasses on a leash or anything?

I drilled a small hole in the arm of mine and ran some mason line through it which I tuck into the suspension on my helmet. Same as my corded ear plugs. That way I can flip em off quick if I need to. It always seems like a major PITA cleaning the lenses when they smudge with sweat and chips and crap.

Coastal- That guy killed all of his credibility in another thread. I don't believe a word he says. Pointing it out at this stage is kind of moot as well. You're right though, the back and forth crap gets old.

Hey Hammer do you have your glasses on a leash or anything?

I drilled a small hole in the arm of mine and ran some mason line through it which I tuck into the suspension on my helmet. Same as my corded ear plugs. That way I can flip em off quick if I need to. It always seems like a major PITA cleaning the lenses when they smudge with sweat and chips and crap.

Coastal- That guy killed all of his credibility in another thread. I don't believe a word he says. Pointing it out at this stage is kind of moot as well. You're right though, the back and forth crap gets old.

Yup he did...that thread is deleted now...and for good reason...it needed it from the start...

Latest posts

Back