slabbing bar for 8 ft wide walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clyde

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking for a bar long enough to slab an 8 ft wide walnut. I have the saws(3120's) and the mill now I need a bar large enough. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be great.

someone should make a piece to join two bars, end to end. It would replace the replaceable sprocket nose. turn two bars into one double powerhead bar.

I am looking for a bar long enough to slab an 8 ft wide walnut. I have the saws(3120's) and the mill now I need a bar large enough. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be great.

SAWS? I assume this means a double ended bar? Cripes, that will be like three grand for just the powerheads, bar, and chain alone!

Last edited:
Many mill's out here can!

Milling really wide is a real pain... 8 feet? I'm not even sure a pair of 3120s are up to the task..

It can't be done! Just give up on the idea already. I'll be up there shortly to relieve you of that nuisance log at once! I'll even do it free of charge just 'cause I'm a nice guy!:D

It was only a matter of time befor Aggie showed up for a stick like that.

If it was of veneer quality, you'd really have something, but still, something that large, how to start cutting to maximize the best of what it has to offer.

There's a circle saw mill about an hour west of Milwaukee, 10 miles north of Whitewater, he could do a bang-up job for you, unless you are bent on flatsawing the log.

There is also a tree/landscape guy in Helenville that keeps two 880 powerheads and 7or8' bar just for reducing such timber when they are clearing. I can provide you with his contact info.

It can't be done! Just give up on the idea already. I'll be up there shortly to relieve you of that nuisance log at once! I'll even do it free of charge just 'cause I'm a nice guy!:D

While you are at it, swing by and take that White Oak off my hands too :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Ed

Many mill's out here can!

Milling really wide is a real pain... 8 feet? I'm not even sure a pair of 3120s are up to the task..

Yes, they are more than plenty. Probably really just need one with a helper handle, and use a double skip chain to allow the sawdust to clear. That's a long pull. Walnut is really easy to mill, probably my favorite overall. Dries fast and is really pretty stable.

You will want to cut that log for face anyway, so you won't need an 8 foot bar. Probably get by with 6ft quite nicely. An 8 foot wide quartersawn walnut slab would be kind of boring. I only use q-sawn walnut for door frames and accent pieces where you want the nicely grained stuff to "pop".

Mark

Mark

Last edited:
I kinda wish this log was closer, Im looking for something nice to make a bar top out of.

16' x 5' L shaped walnut bar......NICE! :cheers:

Back