Slack tender

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scars2prove-it

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
On the lanyard set-up that I just made, I had figured on using a swivel snap as a slack tender. However, after I brought it home I realized that I have a spliced thimble on the end and I can't feed it through the snap (spliced in aluminum snap on other end). I don't want to cut the end off because I want it there to prevent pull through. Any ideas on what I should do?

You could take the swivel snap and reverse it so that the snap is on the rope. Then either put the ring through your biner, or attach it somehow to your D.

A pair of linked mini-biners or a mini-biner and a snap will work almost as well as the swivel snap , weigh less and allow for snapping onto a rope that won't thread. Since they aren't load bearing linking them is not a hazard. Micro pulleys are great but they do add bulk to a lanyard set up.

Tie the adjuster chord straight to the D, thread the standing end of the lanyard through the D, so D acts as both mount and tender.

This pic takes that a step further, and places a half hitch ring at base of friction hitch, that also wraps around the D, for very deft tending IMLHO.

I got to try my new lanyard today. This setup is so much better than my old buckstrap. If you don't have one, I strongly urge you to make one. You won't be disappointed.

Rocky, I think I remember you never use a cable core lanyard, but that's why I would not tie my lanyard adjuster direct to the saddle...I change back and forth from cable to non-cable fairly frequently.

Same here, Burnham. So I use a biner for a cordage hitch or a half twist clevis to attach a Gibbs and steel core flipline.

Mikey!!!

I'm ba-a-a-a-a-k :)

Use a micro pulley. Tom D isn't here to tell you it's too expensive. So go ahead,
they work great. Don't tell him I said so.

Scars,

That's the snap I use for a slack tender. When I make up a lanyard I put the eye of the snap between the legs of the friction hitch and clip the snap to my D between the fisherman's hitch.

Tom

My slack tender...

Whattya think

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back