Slaughtered Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mic687

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Trees Ink has come into town to do line clearance work and WOW is all I can say. Must be low bidder cause I haven't seen Davey and they were doing most of that work here. I understand that there are guidelines and beautification does not apply but damn I saw some ugly stuff. I will try to get pictures tomorrow but this pruning was unbelievable. I can't see why, if your going to top a tree at 15' and leave only 1 branch going over the road, why not cut it down. I understand we all have a job to do but this work looked awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trees Ink has come into town to do line clearance work and WOW is all I can say. Must be low bidder cause I haven't seen Davey and they were doing most of that work here. I understand that there are guidelines and beautification does not apply but damn I saw some ugly stuff. I will try to get pictures tomorrow but this pruning was unbelievable. I can't see why, if your going to top a tree at 15' and leave only 1 branch going over the road, why not cut it down. I understand we all have a job to do but this work looked awful.

Where I come from, never mind, it doesn't matter where you come from that is not called pruning that is called hacking.

I happened to drive down a street in West Asheville today that I travel on once in a while. It is, or I should say was, a pretty street in an older section of town. The line clearance guys went through sometime in the last month. 'Hack' doesn't begin to describe what they did to the trees.
They have been working in my part of the county for over a month now. Typical bad pruning work that expands every day. I kinda expect crappy line work in the country side, but seeing what they did to that downtown street was pure shock.
The interesting part is..... there are areas in the ' money' part of town where you can't touch a tree without a permit from a city board. I'll bet these jokers don't get the contract to do those streets. The city will spend more of our tax dollars to hire a better crew for those streets. Just wait and see.

You guys gotta remember, they are not in tree care. That job is a thankless job, but it has to be done. Their work, horrible. Their mission, an absolute must. If they did take the time, to do it right, somewhere down the line, power would get knocked out. That power keeps someones respirator working, their IV pump on, etc. Not to mention, that the cost is transferred to us in our monthly bills. If it took them twice as long to do it right, your bill would reflect. I hate the work they do, from the trees perspective, as much as the next guy, but I also speak from experience on the need for power. My youngest had Stage 3 Neuroblastoma cancer when he was 2. At home, we had him on a pump that administered life saving meds and nutrients. Had the power been knocked out, he would have missed his treatments and who knows what that would have lead to. Yesterday, I spent the day correcting bad work by assplunge. I was amazed at the carnage that they left, but I had to put myself in check and remind myself that they are not the same as a private tree care co, they are not held to the same standard. They are not in the business of proper pruning. Now, with that being said and jumping back to the bills. I really don't like it when I drive by in the middle of the day and ya see 2-3 trucks all sitting on the side of the road, with the crews in the trucks sleeping. We are paying for that, and that pisses me off.

You guys gotta remember, they are not in tree care. That job is a thankless job, but it has to be done. Their work, horrible. Their mission, an absolute must. If they did take the time, to do it right, somewhere down the line, power would get knocked out. That power keeps someones respirator working, their IV pump on, etc. Not to mention, that the cost is transferred to us in our monthly bills. If it took them twice as long to do it right, your bill would reflect. I hate the work they do, from the trees perspective, as much as the next guy, but I also speak from experience on the need for power. My youngest had Stage 3 Neuroblastoma cancer when he was 2. At home, we had him on a pump that administered life saving meds and nutrients. Had the power been knocked out, he would have missed his treatments and who knows what that would have lead to. Yesterday, I spent the day correcting bad work by assplunge. I was amazed at the carnage that they left, but I had to put myself in check and remind myself that they are not the same as a private tree care co, they are not held to the same standard. They are not in the business of proper pruning. Now, with that being said and jumping back to the bills. I really don't like it when I drive by in the middle of the day and ya see 2-3 trucks all sitting on the side of the road, with the crews in the trucks sleeping. We are paying for that, and that pisses me off.
I hear ya and absolutely understand the need, I would prefer to see the city take out the tree completely and replant something hight friendly that is fast growing. It seems this type thing is always so short sighted with very little planning. There are more options than leaving butchered trees, maybe a little more expense but worth it in the long run. I mean I'm bleeding tax money anyway what's one more leak when the boats on its way to the bottom.

Pictures I promised
6uvuduva.jpg
yduqa7as.jpg
hyhydapy.jpg

Yes those are bad! But like it was mentioned above, they are told too do that. Can't hate the workers themselves. I respect those guys working near live juice. I don't go near it. People b*tch when you remove the tree completely, people b*tch when the trees look like that and people really b*tch when they don't have power. What can you do?!

That sucks. The utility trimming companies do the same thing here. They completely hack the trees to clear the wires. It's unfortunate, but that's what their job is. That's why it's important to plant trees that are suitable for the location.

I was gonna say, op those look good compare to what they do down here.

Especially when they get that jeraff out.

I understand the need for reliable power, my mother depends on an oxygen concentrator 27/7. The crew worked 3 days doing about 1000' of line near my house. Actual work time was about 8 or 9 hours. The rest of the time they were talking or sleeping. If they had actually worked full days, they could have practiced a bit of tree care and still been done in two days. Saving a few trees and us a few bucks. Another point, it doesn't really take any longer to make a proper prune cut vs leaving two foot of stub or flush cutting.

I will just say this...if you have someone on medical equipment at your house you need to think about getting some sort of backup generator in case something happens. Heck, I have a 3000 egg incubator that has it's own standby generator in case the power goes out. I wouldn't depend on the govt with my life whatsoever.

I despise what they do also but they are limited to their right of way. Ground to sky is the concept around here but to reach another few feet and make the cut at a lateral or the trunk come on. I get tired of hearing people complain about them but they are a necessary evil until you can't be allowed to have a tree within a hundred feet of their right of way, you gotta deal with it.

I know it looks bad, but honestly, looks like pics straight out of the ANSI book. utility work is different. they might have offered to cut down, homeowners refuse all the time. sometimes they change their minds after trimming is complete.

Latest posts

Back