Slow splitter cycle time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reaperman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm just about to jump off a building because nobody can figure out why my splitter is cycling slower than it use to. I have a 22 ton Northern tool splitter which I bought new oct 07. Getting to the details. The normal cycle time on this splitter is approx 14 seconds. Now the cycle time is approx 23 seconds. The unit seems to have full splitting power, and the second stage cycles down when needed, but its just way slower than normal.

So far I have removed all of the hoses and blew them out with air, changed the hydro fluid and cleaned out the suction screen. Replaced the original motor, tried a new pump and returned it when that wasnt the trouble. Took off the ram and had it tested for internal leakage at a hydro shop, that wasnt the trouble. So finally I took my splitter to a hydraulic shop last friday and picked it up today. They said they tested pressure, flow, etc and everything was fine:confused: They asked me if I'm sure the splitter always ran with a 23 second cycle time because they just couldnt imagine where to look next. I know some of you may think the hydro shop is some two-bit back alley shop but its not. The I-beam isnt bent causing resistance on the wedge either. Is there anything overlooked by me or the shop? This is driving my crazy and it sucks splitting wood at this speed.

Now I am by no means an expert but, did you look at the hydraulic valve that the handle is hooked to? That seems like the next link in the system. It is just a guess maybe that is going?
Nick.

Could the engine be running at lower rpms? That would slow down the ram. Just reread your post. Why did you replace the engine?

Did they actually use a flow meter to test it , or just pump fluid into a bucket. If not they really did not test it for proper flow an pressure @ flow...

Last edited:
Just to understand, the cycle time in/out with no splitting is 23 secs now and used to be 14 secs?
Is the filter on the return line to resevoir ? Replaced with identical filter # ?

Possibly spool valve relief leaking back to return line.

log splitter

I'm just about to jump off a building because nobody can figure out why my splitter is cycling slower than it use to. I have a 22 ton Northern tool splitter which I bought new oct 07. Getting to the details. The normal cycle time on this splitter is approx 14 seconds. Now the cycle time is approx 23 seconds. The unit seems to have full splitting power, and the second stage cycles down when needed, but its just way slower than normal.

So far I have removed all of the hoses and blew them out with air, changed the hydro fluid and cleaned out the suction screen. Replaced the original motor, tried a new pump and returned it when that wasnt the trouble. Took off the ram and had it tested for internal leakage at a hydro shop, that wasnt the trouble. So finally I took my splitter to a hydraulic shop last friday and picked it up today. They said they tested pressure, flow, etc and everything was fine:confused: They asked me if I'm sure the splitter always ran with a 23 second cycle time because they just couldnt imagine where to look next. I know some of you may think the hydro shop is some two-bit back alley shop but its not. The I-beam isnt bent causing resistance on the wedge either. Is there anything overlooked by me or the shop? This is driving my crazy and it sucks splitting wood at this speed.

Please take the control valve back to the repair shop and ask them to
flow rate the valve to see how much bypass the valve has if any.

A log splitter control valve is a wear part and they have very tight
clearances between the spool mating surfaces.

A worn spool valve will bypass a considerable amount of fuid as it will
want to find the quickest way to escape

You have not mentioned if the spool valve is a valve with detent as this could
require adjustment as well.

Take the valve to the repair shop and pay them to test the spool valve,
if the valve is bad it is an over the shoulder into the scrap iron drum.

Could the engine be running at lower rpms? That would slow down the ram. Just reread your post. Why did you replace the engine?

The engine swap had nothing to do with the cycle time, I just wanted a different engine and the rpm's are correct.

I'm leaning towards the control valve, they must have missed something. The fluid has to have somewhere to go. These things arent that complicated.

the cost of testing the valve may erxceed cost of replacing, but you don't know it is the valve.
Take it apart and inspect for relief valve issues.
Even a very worn valve should have high efficiency when you cycle back and forth with no load, at mayb 300 psi.
Are these times with no load at all?

what are the pump numbers and the cylinder size and engine rpm. Those three define flow and speed.

I took my valve off my splitter and put another valve on it. this one I got from a sale and it was slower then the one I had (25 sec )on it so I put the old one back on it and it is ruinng at 15 sec a farmer freind of mind told me if they get rust or dirt in them they will do that. I have not taking the one apart to see yet but when I get time this winter I will.

Back