Small In-tree saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found the tensioners that are built into the bar to be a pain in the back side.
I prefer the Stihl 020T. I got a 12" bar which means I have to switch to a larger saw more often than if I had gotten the 14" but I prefer to have the extra power and maneuverability.

12+ years ago, I was climbing with a Poulan Super25 running a 12" bar. It would probably outcut today's 020T but it was heavy. Now I cut with less power, lighter weight, more finesse and a sharper chain.

The Climber,
I have heard others complain about the "Intenz" bar. My experiences have been good. What do you not like about them, specifically?

TC165, A poulan S25 that could outcut an 020T, haha, that's funny! Maybe one that could give you CTS faster...

stihl 200t

I use the 200t and just wanna know what you all think of it. is it the same as the 020's???

love
nick

Mike Maas,
I've only had experience with one, so it could have just been one lemon among the lot but from the day we got it it would not adjust gradually, it was either too loose or too tight.
Have you had any problems with that?

The first adjustment I made on an Intenz Bar I got the chain too tight. I backed off-too loose. Third try was fine and I've had no trouble since. The system works fine but why it was devised baffles me. Stihls toolless tensioning system is a step forward and worthwhile on a climbing saw IMO. The intenz sytem doesn't seem to gain anything significant.

Now if Stihl would put it on the ms200... but the guys at the conventions have said no.

First time I saw an intenze bar I thought I had lost the worm grear for the adjuster:eek:

Originally posted by Tim Gardner
The 020 does not need the Intenz bar it has a side adjustment screw.

When the Intenz bar came out, it was simply a cheap alternative for the saw makers who hadn't developed a side access adjustment system. Now that just about all saws have side access adjustment, the Intenz bar will probably fade out of existence.

Originally posted by treeclimber165
When the Intenz bar came out, it was simply a cheap alternative for the saw makers who hadn't developed a side access adjustment system. Now that just about all saws have side access adjustment, the Intenz bar will probably fade out of existence.

Poulan, ah um, Husky still needs one for their 335xp don't they?

I ment the Stihl tooless adjuster which is on lighter saws. which was mentioned in a previouse post.

They have a liability problem with it and the saws with any real power.

JPS-
Do you ever READ your posts before hitting 'send'? People might comprehend what you are trying to say if you said it clearer. :(
Why do you leave it to US to try and decypher what you are trying to say?

I find the Intenz bar very easy to use. If you need to change or remount the chain, with the Stihl system, you need to turn the screw like five or six full revolutions to loosen then five or six more to retighten the bar. The screw head has a funny shape, it's real wide then gets narrower, which can make it hard to screw or tell if you are in the slot.
The Intenz bar is very easy to see and adjust. The bar moves in and out a long way with just a short half turn or so.
I think all chainsaw bars are overbuilt, and I have seen a trend towards lighter is better. First they had aluminum core bars, then hollow bars. This could be the downfall of the Intenz bar, it's designed with all the mechanism and therefore can't be real light weight.

Stumper writes
Stihls toolless tensioning system is a step forward and worthwhile on a climbing saw IMO

JPS writes
Now if Stihl would put it on the ms200... but the guys at the conventions have said no.

I just thought the two seprarate paragraphs were enough separation. Maybe I'll put some astricks in between next time.

Of coarse i wont remember to.;)

The toolless tensionening system is one of the reasons I like the 019T.-It works extremely well on my saw.

Yes, I said it again. I like the 019T. Please throw all your rotten tomatoes at Brian.....he chastised JPS before I got a chance to do so.;)

I'm sure it can (020 x 16"). I use a 335cali with a 16" and it eats live oak with plenty of power.

I also have the Intenz bar and have grown to like it. Mike is right about how the standard adj screw requires a bunch of turns to loosen or tighten it where the Intenz is a 1/4 - 1/2 turn usually.
Greg

Latest posts

Back