Smashed my 372XP need help!!! Pic inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAW

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I got a tree hung up in another tree and was trying to block it up to make it fall. The saw got hung up and before I could get to my other saw to cut it in another place the tree fell and smashed the muffler, busted a hole the oil tank and mashed the kickback guard up against the handlebar. :censored: Made me sick.

I was taking the saw apart this afternoon and noticed that the block (or place where the muffler bolts into the engine) has a crack where the muffler bolts in. My grandfather gave me his old busted up 372XP parts saw which is pretty busted up except for the engine, which I believe would still run.

My question is what would yall do to fix it? Should I buy a new engine block or use the one the off the other saw? How much do you think I would have to invest? Would it be difficult to do this myself? What parts do you think I will need.

View attachment 206363

Thanks for all the info.

Man, thats rough. Looks to be in pretty bad shape as far as that goes. If the crankcase on your other parts saw is good and the bearings are good I would use that. You probably need to take yours apart some before you can tell how much damage there is. If the oil tank is busted then that crankcase is most likely shot.

Also, I don't know your experience level so don't take me the wrong way but blocking out a hung tree like that is extremely dangerous and should be avoided if possible. Better to hook a cable and winch to the bottom and pull the bottom out to let it fall if you can.

Last edited:
That's gonna leave a mark.

A semester of college can run up to 15 grand or so, so I guess you got educated for less than that but it still sucks to lose a good saw. However, the saw can be replaced/repaired. Thankful there weren't any body parts getting smushed. This site has a lot of resources and you'll be up and running again soon.

Tear it apart, see what is broken, swap what parts you have onto the best of the two saws and let us know what you need to complete the best one.

Thanks Pioneerguy. Do you know how difficult it is to change out the engines in the saws? I am some what mechanically inclined but i havent ever rebuilt an engine or anything like that.

Anthony, I usually try to avoid blocking up trees but the little tractor I had with me in the woods that day was not up to the challenge and I dont have a winch. I even thought about throwing another tree on top of the stuck one but I was only taking the dead stuff out and didnt want to take any of the good timber.

Fearofpavement, you aint lying talk about an expensive ass mistake.

The saw is pretty mushed! Sorry to see a saw mushed. You need to strip the saw to the bare carcass. Looks like the crankcase is long gone,unless you know a good welder.

Thanks Pioneerguy. Do you know how difficult it is to change out the engines in the saws? I am some what mechanically inclined but i havent ever rebuilt an engine or anything like that.

I have only split and rebuilt 200-300 chainsaw engines, don`t know much but it can be done with a few hand tools, a piece of angle iron and a two jaw puller if the crankcase needs to be split. You may be able to just swap all your good parts over to the chassis your grandfather gave you. That would depend on that saw having a good crank, bearings and cylinder.

I feel your pain.I would strip the two saws and see what I had to work with.I have sealed a hole or two with JB weld.Heres what your saw should look like when your done:hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

I feel your pain.I would strip the two saws and see what I had to work with.I have sealed a hole or two with JB weld.Heres what your saw should look like when your done:hmm3grin2orange:

Yea it will prolly need a bit of JB weld here and there. Man that new 372 sure is pretty.

attachment.php

I think you have a new parts saw now.

I am begining to think the same thing.

attachment.php

Heres what your saw should look like when your done :hmm3grin2orange:

Only in your dreams..!!!

Damn shame...parts saw now...IMHO
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Yee haw! Sounds like me in my woods lol. Don't beat urself up over it though, you gotta do what you gotta do. Good luck on your repairs and may it not cost you too much.

Fellow Cowboy,

In The Weeds

Perfect time to buy a new saw. Then you will have more time to repair the stump broke saw.

Latest posts

Back