Snow Fence - wood or plastic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have never used a snow fence before, but I am considering putting one up along the west side of my 130' driveway.
In checking local prices, 4' x 50' of wood fence is about $40. The orange plastic fence 4' x 100' is also about $35

Planning on using metal T-posts to install.

Do you have a preference for wood or plastic fence?

Will one or the other last longer, over the years?

When installing, should I leave a 6" gap between the ground and the bottom of the fence?
Or leave no gap between the fence and ground?

Plastic is easier, wood looks better. Pending upon how much wind you get, they should last about the same amount of time. If you get a lot of wind, or a ton of snow, then leave a gap at the bottom (for plastic). The wood fence should be fine with no gap.

Go with the wood, deer will run right through the plastic. What are you using it for?

It will be a "snow" fence. Put it up later this month and take it down in late March, probably.

I have heard from several "old wives" that it is going to be a cold/snow winter in our area.

Trying to lessen the snow drifting that happens on the east side of my driveway.
Driveway runs North/South

Probably important to determine which side of the driveway to install the fence. If you live in a snow belt, ask the Highway Department guys which side of the road they install the fence. NE Ohio used to use miles of the stuff and it did work. I'd go with wood as I have a feeling it will last many more years than the plastic.

Wood. We've used the same rolls for years and years. Make sure you keep the fence away from the driveway a few feet as the snow that is deflected by the fence will still accumulate behind the fence. Too close to the driveway and it accumulates on your driveway. Put it about 6-8 feet off the edge of the driveway.

I have been putting up snow fence along our lane (800 feet) for 26 years. The year I didn't, I regretted it. I have always used wood. Tried plastic one year and it blew to pieces. You need to be much further back from the driveway than 6-8 feet. The recommendation* is 35 X the height of the snow fence (140 feet for a 4 foot fence) as the snow really accumulates on the lee side of the fence. I don't go that far, putting it about 100 feet back rather than 130 feet but I've had years when the snow actually buried the snow fence and piled up for about 60-80 feet south of the fence (my lane runs east west and I out it on the north side although sometimes I wish I had it both sides.) If you put it 8 feet, depending on where you live all the snow will pile up on your driveway. It's a job I hate. *http://www.iowadot.gov/snowfenceqa.pdf

We have had times where to snow drift gets deeper than the fence and then starts blowing over it and and ended up with a big mess. We don't put them up anymore. Other wise ever time we get 2 inches it fills back in and we got 8 foot drifts to clear again

Latest posts

Back