So I bought a new ms660.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought some 100LL today to try and it was 6.51 a gallon. The drive down to the airport was about $10 out of my truck's tank. :dizzy: I think if I continue using it I'll give my can to a buddy at work to fill up. He lives about 3 miles from the airport.

Ian

ms660 mag

Hi I myself just purchased a 660 mag also, my dealer told me that the muffler mod was a joke and that the only way to help the saw was to port the cylinder everything i read here seems to say other wise.Does anybody know anybody else in missouri that could help me.thanks jeremy

Hi I myself just purchased a 660 mag also, my dealer told me that the muffler mod was a joke and that the only way to help the saw was to port the cylinder everything i read here seems to say other wise.Does anybody know anybody else in missouri that could help me.thanks jeremy

your "dealer" doesn't know his thumb from his di ck

Yes on DP cover........I have factory DP cover's on MS440, 064 and two 066's
and one more (064,066,660) sealed up in factory package. I could help you
out by, selling it to you........but you would pay less at dealer (shipping)
This last one I bought cost $48 with tax. I'm in central MO.

Or you could make one your self as I did.....down side no spark screen.
This is on 066 milling saw.

attachment.php

Gary

Okay, tommorrow finally came.

I finally got around to going to the stihl dealer this morning. I hope I got all the numbers right.
Here's my list of parts:
5910 890 4500 limiter cap puller $5.72 (on order)
4203 121 2700 limiter cap red (qty 2) $.51 ea (on order)
1122 140 0800 exhaust casing $43.34 (on order)
0000 642 1216 3/8 8 tooth rep rim $5.72
0000 642 1221 3/8 7 tooth 048/056 rep rim $6.66
0781 313 8003 2.6 oz 1 gal hp ultra (6 pack) $11.95
7010 884 1101 proscaper gloves $31.25
3623 005 0084 33rsc 84 $25.28
4140 124 2800 air filter $3.83 (for my trimmer}
3003 000 8830 25" 3/8 050 rollamatic es $73.45
subtotal $210.22

2 gal 110 octane leaded racing gas $17.98 (Sunoco)
Granberg G106B bar mount file guide $32.99 (Northern Tool)
=============
The first 3 items are on order and the 7 & 8 tooth rims were left out of my bag so I will pick them up when I get my other parts.
Why does the 7 tooth part # include 048/056? I told the girl this was for a ms660 magnum. Will this rim fit my saw?

My saw came with a 3003 000 9646 32" 3/8 050, which I will rarely need, so I ordered the 25" 3/8 050 b&c.
Which sprocket rim should I run with the 25" for pine and < 30" hardwood?

Does anyone use the Granberg G106B file guide and, if so, is it a good tool? (I've always filed by hand but I am getting shakey and blind in my old age!) :D

Last edited:
Okay. I'll take it in to work with me to do the surgery. Will this not corrupt any 'exhaust tuning' done by the manufacturer?
Please forgive me for only being semi-knowledgable about tuning 4-stoke exhaust. I tried some 2-stroke pipe fabrication on my Yamaha YZ490 motorcross bike years ago but an aftermarket pipe eventually proved my design pretty much worthless. :(

it will make zero difference if you drill it or remove it.. Drilling is a lot easier..

Yes on DP cover........I have factory DP cover's on MS440, 064 and two 066's
and one more (064,066,660) sealed up in factory package. I could help you
out by, selling it to you........but you would pay less at dealer (shipping)
This last one I bought cost $48 with tax. I'm in central MO.

Or you could make one your self as I did.....down side no spark screen.
This is on 066 milling saw.

attachment.php

Gary
Thanks gary for the info i will just go to my local dealer thank you for the offer to sell me one i appreciate it jeremy

Your going to want to completly remove that inner cage. Dont just drill it remove all of it. Dremel with a cutoff wheel is what I used.

it will make zero difference if you drill it or remove it.. Drilling is a lot easier..

I wonder if completely removing it could weaken the area where the gasket mates to the cylinder, eventually causing premature gasket leaks. It may be a good idea to leave some of the cage for structural integrity such as cutting it something like this
If I can't get these cuts with a cutoff wheel, I can use a plasma cutter then clean it up with a die grinder and air file.

I decided to leave most of the cage intact. I took out most of the area on the face of that bracket and enlarged the outlet hole also. I was able to get to everything with a die grinder and burr.
Now all I need is my DP cover and limiter cap puller so I can set the carb. My Stihl dealer told me yesterday the parts should be here Monday morning.

DSCF0294.jpg

DSCF0303.jpg

DSCF0302.jpg

DSCF0313.jpg

DSCF0329.jpg

Go ahead & remove all of the cage. If you leave it like that there you'll still have somewhat of a bottle neck restricting a smoother transisition of the exhaust flow. The only concern as to sealing it back up is the gasket ,torgue it or you'll have an extra expence with having time serts installed . Above a 25" bar in hard wood use the 7 pin depends what your cuttin. Have used the 8 pin on the 32" full skip in pine & its hella fast. Its gunna be loud probably a few DB's over the osha's min requirement with just plugs or muffs . I use both at leist part of the day to keep it off my nerves. Hi

I'll take it into work one day this week and eliminate the cage.

The only concern as to sealing it back up is the gasket ,torgue it or you'll have an extra expence with having time serts installed .

Forgive me but I'm not familiar with "time serts ". I may know them by a different name. Can you explain what they are?

Above a 25" bar in hard wood use the 7 pin depends what your cuttin. Have used the 8 pin on the 32" full skip in pine & its hella fast. Its gunna be loud probably a few DB's over the osha's min requirement with just plugs or muffs . I use both at leist part of the day to keep it off my nerves. Hi
I cut a dead pine today in my pasture and the saw cut through it really fast with the 8 pin but it did lack some torque compared to the 066 with 7 pin and 25" bar i ran when I was logging. I can see the 8 pin is not for hardwood.
I took a few pictures of the dead pine I cut and also some video. I'll post a link to the video when I get it uploaded.
I originally planned to have the log sawed into 1x6 fence boards but the tree has been dead with the top in it too long so I'm just going to use the log to have fun with. :D
I was hoping I could bust the log at the stump and have it hang up off the ground so I can keep my chain out of the dirt cutting it up and as you can see I got lucky. ;)

DSCF0342notag.jpg

DSCF0354.jpg

DSCF0367.jpg

DSCF0359.jpg

DSCF0363.jpg

Also, the saw was running a bit lean after the muffler mod so I pulled the limiter caps and adjusted the carb. (My limiter cap puller, replacement caps and DP cover won't be here till tommorrow.) The caps were easy to get out. I imagine a possible problem some people have when removing them is not lining up the stop tab with the relief for it in the housing before pulling them. A quick shave with a razor knife trimmed the stop tabs before re-installing the caps.
thumb.gif

Okay, thanks Ghillie. I know about thread inserts all to well. I'm a maintenance mechanic at a factory that uses stainless steel everything. :mad:

Nice pics by the way.
Thanks ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back