So I bought a new ms660.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just take out the cage and bolt it back in, the lower 2 cover bolts hold the assembly anyway. Mine has been run without the cage for quite a while. Besides the metal is pretty thick anyway.
You may be right. I was just sceptical of the strength due to the lack of support between the two points marked by the yellow line in the following picture of mine.
BTW, if I had it to do over, I'd only cut out the front of the cage as shown in the picture and bolt on the 1122 140 0800 cover. I feel like that's plenty of breathing for a stock 660. JMO ;)

MS660MufModpaint.jpg

I know this guy that has a few more .......................Some day I'll have to take a group picture.:biggrinbounce2: .....I just dont feel like cleaning all of them right now....:cheers: :cheers:
Have you got any pictures lately?

Last edited:
Did you get a gasket between the cover and muffler. Or did you keep the rtv stuff?
Matt

Its rained so much here in the north east. Its terrible.
Matt

Did you get a gasket between the cover and muffler. Or did you keep the rtv stuff?
Matt
I put a new gasket and also used RTV. I don't remember if the gasket came with the new cover or if I ordered it separate.

Just re-use the old gasket, it will seal fine. You don't need rtv.

Thanks, wasn't sure if it was stuck to the cover or some something.

I found a whole muffler with dual port cover at one of our sponsors sites, he hasn't got back to my question, if he does ill buy it and repaint it. same price as just the cover.

I almost want to go to my dealer personally encase he starts B.,..., about the muffler cover and modded saws.
Matt

Good info. Me and my cutting partner just picked up a new MS660 each and have the DP muffler covers ready to bolt on. I think we'll be getting rid of the cage now that we know its not a critical piece of the system.

Back