So I can get a refubished PP5020AV for $100.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed a very similar design to the kingpark saw when i saw the new craftsman saws the plastics are different but the engine design looks identical i wish i had them side by side to compare anyone else notice this.Craftsman Chainsaw.jpg

Not sears but a couple of kmarts closed up for good near me wouldn't suprise me if sears went under too they even give you grief exchanging broken craftsman tools at my local sears.

I cant recall if my old 16 inch Craftsman saw was a chinese model, or a USA made unit. I recall it was the all black version, just like my current 50cc 20 incher. It was fairly powerful, and extremely hard to pull. I dont know why it always felt like I was pull starting a dirt bike. Never got any easier, but it sure ran good. I sold it off when I was clearing out my storage unit.

Thats a nice lookin saw, I may give one of those a try. (kingpark 58cc)

Hey TS73,what exhaust mod di you do to the Poulan?

My uncle is good friends with a guy that semiprofessionally mods saws (big saw's- 4&5' bars). He told us the easiest and cheapest way to increase your saws performance buy 15-20% is to open the exhaust / muffler so that its volume (output) is opened up to 85% of the cylinder exhaust port. Basically let it breath. And then retune the high low jets on the carb. I run good quality synthetic 32:1 mix (another suggestion) ethanol free gas from the local Kwik Fill. I also run 16" bars on two of the 5020's and a 20" on the other. As of today my son gets a pissed with me because when we cut together these "cheap" saws are hands down out cutting his new 455 husky. He wants me to open his exhaust and retune his saw but he's worried about the warranty.

My uncle is good friends with a guy that semiprofessionally mods saws (big saw's- 4&5' bars). He told us the easiest and cheapest way to increase your saws performance buy 15-20% is to open the exhaust / muffler so that its volume (output) is opened up to 85% of the cylinder exhaust port. Basically let it breath. And then retune the high low jets on the carb. I run good quality synthetic 32:1 mix (another suggestion) ethanol free gas from the local Kwik Fill. I also run 16" bars on two of the 5020's and a 20" on the other. As of today my son gets a pissed with me because when we cut together these "cheap" saws are hands down out cutting his new 455 husky. He wants me to open his exhaust and retune his saw but he's worried about the warranty.

Any chance I can get a measurement or drill bit size of your modded 5020 muffler? I already run 40:1 with quality dirt bike oil and ethanol free fuel. I dont mind going to 32:1 at all.

The mfr recommended 50:1 and I just dont believe in that ratio at all. I have killed far too many coated dirt bike cylinders at 50:1 even using the best of the best Castor or synthetics. I am fairly certain the Craftsman 50cc engine uses a steel sleeve and is not coated like the 5020, so I debated on using 32:1 from the start, but I thought it may clog the spark arrester screen (if it has one?) If it doesnt cause a problem going 32:1 I will gladly up the oil in my fuel.

I will switch to a 16 bar later with a full chisel bit chain, but for now this bar is new and so is the chain. A good tune and bar/chain combo is the key for sure. I have spent many hours on a big Stihl with a short bar and chisel bit chain, it really helped me get through some long days but a cheap saw tuned and setup well can get the job done also. I no longer have the Stihl or my 16 inch Craftsman, just this 20 incher Craftsman Pro I picked up last week. One of my buddies was cutting side by side with me all day with some cheap saw he picked up, and me using my Stihl MS 361 and he did just fine with his. I think he picked up my 361 and immediately set it down and said no thanks. He is a tad bit smaller than I am. I am definitely one to use whatever works, regardless of the name.

I haven't purchased a Chinese saw - yet. Every time I about pull the trigger and buy one, Vminnovations on eBay has a sale on a 5020. And then I get to thinking: the Poulan is American, I've cut 12-15 full cord a year with them, haven't had any problems, and after I open up the exhaust and adjust the carb, with a 16" bar --- they run like a raped ape (as my uncle used to say).

How does that saw run? Any problems with it? How much wood has it been through? Good looking machine!
No problem's whatsoever i was just playing around and tore it down deleted the base gasket a ported the cylinder it really suprised everyone that ran it even stock it ran good my friend uses it all the time.20170204_161150.jpg

I doubt a Craftsman saw has a steel sleeve cylinder. I don't know of any current built saw with anything more than a plated cylinder. But I am not an expert by any means.

This all goes toward the saying, "A sharp chain and good tune will keep most saws happy."

zenoah G 5000 ? is that saw any good?

Those are great saws if you can a real one that isn't totally trashed, the clones are fairly decent too. I have a 56cc version made by surpass tool that is well made and cuts very nicely .

I doubt a Craftsman saw has a steel sleeve cylinder. I don't know of any current built saw with anything more than a plated cylinder. But I am not an expert by any means.

This all goes toward the saying, "A sharp chain and good tune will keep most saws happy."

Thats good to hear, I kinda thought the same thing and almost went with the Poulan Pro 5020AV for 40 bux more. I only heard that the Craftsman had a steel liner from one guy, so I kinda take that with a grain of salt. I had great luck with Craftsman saws in the past, so I figured I would try another one years later.

I noticed a very similar design to the kingpark saw when i saw the new craftsman saws the plastics are different but the engine design looks identical i wish i had them side by side to compare anyone else notice this.View attachment 568740

Those are made by a company that has agreements with mtd which sells them with the craftsman and remington names.

The engine is 60$ and can only be purchased as a whole unit.

Grack, I searched ebay for a kp 5500 and the only thing that comes up is a 5800 that looks different from yours. Can you send me a link for that saw, and the seller you bought from please. Im a noobie here, you may be able to message it to me I dunno.

It is under "start a conversation".

It has shipped and I should have it Thursday!
I wouldn't mind playing with porting on this baby but I don't need another hobby, lol.

Also, I was reading in @Modifiedmark 's thread, and I see that there may be and Echo clutch that would convert the pp5020 to spline drive...

Grack, I searched ebay for a kp 5500 and the only thing that comes up is a 5800 that looks different from yours. Can you send me a link for that saw, and the seller you bought from please. Im a noobie here, you may be able to message it to me I dunno.
Get it quick 58cc saw ebay type it in search free shipping can't link on this phone 49.65 $_1 (5).JPG

I've got way too many saws or i would buy it.

The guy sold out of mine but he has the regular recoil mine was assisted start which i hate he has the orange saws pictured above.

Look at his ebay feedback - got to be a scam!!! I wouldn't!
Didn't even look at his feedback lol the other guy i bought mine from was sold out he is in california.

It is under "start a conversation".

It has shipped and I should have it Thursday!
I wouldn't mind playing with porting on this baby but I don't need another hobby, lol.

Also, I was reading in @Modifiedmark 's thread, and I see that there may be and Echo clutch that would convert the pp5020 to spline drive...

The 5020 has plastic transfer inserts in the cylinder so that makes it a little easier.

Latest posts

Back