So I said to myself

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralph in MN

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ralph, thats what I call myself,
I am the one with the MS 280c that I would like to replace. Firewood cutting only.
I went to 2 Husqvarna dealers to try to find a 550xp. The first dealer had one, but the ladys in the hardware dept. didn't know anything about the saws. I had to talk to a guy in the rental dept. He told me that they sub out all of their warranty repairs to a small engine shop and that if an auto tune had a problem it would have to sent back to the manufacturer.
The second shop had just sold a 562xp but didnt have a 550 and they did not have the "stuff" to scan them. No answer on what to do with a warranty problem. He would be happier to sell me a 346 and had one in stock. Meanwhile another customer needed a chain sharpened, so he yells out the door to the shop, Bob if you are done with those tires there is a chain for you to sharpen. Bob gets the chain and sets it up on the grinder and proceeds to throw sparks for about 10 seconds on each tooth. I left before Bob had the chain done.
There is an EFCO dealer not far away that our tree service guy swears by, hes got a 165. But I'm not sure who is going to be the EFCO dealer next week, so I havent been there.
I went back to the Stihl dealer and he will sell me a 261 or he has Jonsereds. He has a CS 2152c in stock but not a CS 2153. I know nothing about Jonsered exept they are rebadged Husqvarna.
So I can keep my MS280 or ?????

Hey Ralph,

Buy the saw you want. If you have a warranty issue and the local shops don't have AT scan tools Husqvarna will have to find you someone to look after it. That's big H's problem, not yours.

If you already have a 50cc-class saw, why not upsize to a 70cc class saw for a nice 2-saw plan?

If you already have a 50cc-class saw, why not upsize to a 70cc class saw for a nice 2-saw plan?

I should have added the fine print to that post.

**Warning: This is how CAD starts. Right here. Right now. Step away if you want to survive unaffected.**

I should have added the fine print to that post.

**Warning: This is how CAD starts. Right here. Right now. Step away if you want to survive unaffected.**

Thats no lie. 2 saw plan sounds reasonable, then you're looking for a 3rd, do a little horse trading, rebuilding, and next thing you know you have 4 projects going on and 8 runners with nowhere to call home besides your barn. Ya cant just kick em out, saws need to feel loved too.

Ive had a few Stihls, at one time I had a 028 that I really liked. Since then I had a 250 that I didnt keep very long and then this MS280. I made the mistake of not doing any research and did the impulse buy. I feel the 280 is overweight but does have nice cutting power. I hope that a 346 is more like my old 028, and will probably go with that. ( maybe even where Bob works)
I am a auto mechanic and have been all of my life, been through the electrical carb and computer changes. I feel that it will quickly move to fuel injection in the small engine world and the auto tune is a gap filler. Just my thoughts.

Thats no lie. 2 saw plan sounds reasonable, then you're looking for a 3rd, do a little horse trading, rebuilding, and next thing you know you have 4 projects going on and 8 runners with nowhere to call home besides your barn. ...

...then the wife and kids move out, dog craps all over the house, car won't run, neighbor's daughter is knocked up and the bank won't quit calling... freakin' CAD...

But to the OP, IMHO, if you don't have a decent Husky dealer, I would let it go and get the Stihl. You don't want the headache of having no dealer support. The 261 is a great saw and will do fine by you.

FYI, Husky may find you a dealer to handle the warranty, but you will probably have to get it there. Is the hassle worth it?

Ive had a few Stihls, at one time I had a 028 that I really liked. Since then I had a 250 that I didnt keep very long and then this MS280. I made the mistake of not doing any research and did the impulse buy. I feel the 280 is overweight but does have nice cutting power. I hope that a 346 is more like my old 028, and will probably go with that. ( maybe even where Bob works)
I am a auto mechanic and have been all of my life, been through the electrical carb and computer changes. I feel that it will quickly move to fuel injection in the small engine world and the auto tune is a gap filler. Just my thoughts.

346 is stronger and lighter than an 028. They are also pretty much bullet-proof.

The 346 is stronger than the 028 but it take about a dozen tanks before it runs strong. Out of the box you'll be dissapointed but just have patients and it will reward you. Also the 028 is a slower torque type saw where the 346 is a high rpm machine so you'll need to learn to use a light touch and let the saw work, keep it up in rpm. It's just a different tecnique that takes a bit of getting used to when changing from a Stihl to a Husky.

Stihl Dealer selling Jonsereds?:msp_confused:

Mt favorite Stihl dealer once had Jonsered, Husqvarna, and Stihl under one roof. He also has carried/ is carrying Echo, Shin-Daiwa, and others. To be a "Stihl Elite" dealer, you must carry Only stihl in the lines they're competitive with, But as long as you meet their sales criteria, and pay your bill, they don't 'tell you' what you can and can't carry. As far as I know.

The biggest problem by far is the soft AV system that tears up the intake boot. That ms280 has a way better feel after a good muff mod and carb retune. If you MM your ms280 and you feel better about it... I would PM treemonkey and ask for a set of his AV plugs for the saw. Makes the saw more firm and doesn't rip the intake booth after you install them.

If you don't keep the ms280 go for the 346. Like neil said, they are bullet proof little saws with plenty of power. You also get the bonus of no electronics to mess with.

Stihl Dealer selling Jonsereds?:msp_confused:
my thoughts exactly...

Mt favorite Stihl dealer once had Jonsered, Husqvarna, and Stihl under one roof. He also has carried/ is carrying Echo, Shin-Daiwa, and others. To be a "Stihl Elite" dealer, you must carry Only stihl in the lines they're competitive with, But as long as you meet their sales criteria, and pay your bill, they don't 'tell you' what you can and can't carry. As far as I know.

man... I'd like to see Dolmar, Husky and Stihl under one roof! One stop shopping for a saw! :msp_w00t:

Back