So I'm curious, what do you guys do for a living?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since Mark "outed" me HERE, I'll re-post the pic in this thread. Nevermind the bad haircut, Christmas tie, or lack of my hat in public....

118233d1260912159-dscn0255-jpg

The diversity of the folks on AS truly amazes me. I only wish I could visit more members when on a layover. Usually I don't have ground transportation, or the time.

do you ever have a layover in Cincinnati?

Firstly I love threads like this. It's interesting to see what some people do for a living and AS attracts all walks of life.

I'm 37 years old and the Senior Horticultural Agronomist at Landmark (agricultural company) which was recently purchased by Agrium which no doubt many Canadians and Americans have heard of. I graduated from a well respected Agricultural College in 1995. Good job but very busy and time consuming (in fact about to get worse as my offsider resigned on Friday). My job does about 80,000km a year seeing growers/farmers and giving them technical advice on what chemicals, rates etc to use and proper application and mixing advice. I also have to design fertiliser programs based around plant tissue reults etc. I also have to understand bad english from Greek, Italian, Vietnamese, and Indian customers/clients that don't speaky too good. Even worse when they try to explain a certain chemical or fertiliser they need when they don't know the active or trade name ;) I really enjoy it though but sometimes it cooks my brain dealing with the odd guy guy that should have gone on welfare instead of being involved with agriculture. Many growers are doing it tough here and I sometimes wonder whether I should be telling them how to successfully grow their crop or be their depression therapist :( I do get a work vehicle and fuel cards though with my current job and get looked after well financially, especially since Agrium took over. They don't mind throwing money around that's for sure :)

I also have an after hours chainsaw and tree felling business which unfortunately I don't have the time available to crank right up. I'm concerned that if I get too big on the chain, bar etc sales I won't be able to service customers properly so at this stage am limiting business somewhat and certainly not expanding at any great rate. I do enjoy the felling side of things and also sell the wood as long as it's not something crappy like Pine etc.
Getting on the business end of a chainsaw is relaxing and I absolutely love it - it gives my brain a rest. If I could consistently earn the same money as my day job felling trees I'd drop Agronomy in a flash.

I also do the installations for my family's curtain and blind business which is probably only 3-4 days a month. Those days though are normally about 10 hours and you can drill a lot of holes in walls in that time ;)

Firstly I love threads like this. It's interesting to see what some people do for a living and AS attracts all walks of life.

I'm 37 years old and the Senior Horticultural Agronomist at Landmark (agricultural company) which was recently purchased by Agrium which no doubt many Canadians and Americans have heard of. I graduated from a well respected Agricultural College in 1995. Good job but very busy and time consuming (in fact about to get worse as my offsider resigned on Friday). My job does about 80,000km a year seeing growers/farmers and giving them technical advice on what chemicals, rates etc to use and proper application and mixing advice. I also have to design fertiliser programs based around plant tissue reults etc. I also have to understand bad english from Greek, Italian, Vietnamese, and Indian customers/clients that don't speaky too good. Even worse when they try to explain a certain chemical or fertiliser they need when they don't know the active or trade name ;) I really enjoy it though but sometimes it cooks my brain dealing with the odd guy guy that should have gone on welfare instead of being involved with agriculture. Many growers are doing it tough here and I sometimes wonder whether I should be telling them how to successfully grow their crop or be their depression therapist :( I do get a work vehicle and fuel cards though with my current job and get looked after well financially, especially since Agrium took over. They don't mind throwing money around that's for sure :)

I also have an after hours chainsaw and tree felling business which unfortunately I don't have the time available to crank right up. I'm concerned that if I get too big on the chain, bar etc sales I won't be able to service customers properly so at this stage am limiting business somewhat and certainly not expanding at any great rate. I do enjoy the felling side of things and also sell the wood as long as it's not something crappy like Pine etc.
Getting on the business end of a chainsaw is relaxing and I absolutely love it - it gives my brain a rest. If I could consistently earn the same money as my day job felling trees I'd drop Agronomy in a flash.

I also do the installations for my family's curtain and blind business which is probably only 3-4 days a month. Those days though are normally about 10 hours and you can drill a lot of holes in walls in that time ;)

You are a busy man Matt. Do you get time to go home sometimes?
geoff.
:cheers:

You are a busy man Matt. Do you get time to go home sometimes?
geoff.
:cheers:

Yeah it feels like that occasionally :) I do need to back off the workload sometimes. Luckily I have a very understanding fiancee who likes chainsaws too so we even get to see each other every now and then ;)

23 years old, been married almost a year, heat our home with 100% wood, have a boxer dog.

Graduated high school in 2006, started working for a larger excavating company for a year and a half. Then went to work for a local excavator hoping to buy into the business, the economy didn't let that happen. No dirt work then went to driving garbage truck at night for awhile.Then I couldn't keep up with everything.

Those were my main paying jobs, but since I’ve been 12 years old always mowed grass in the summer part time, until last year when my brother in-law and I started a "LLC" company doing lawn care, landscaping, ground clearing and tree work. Now that's my main job in the spring and summer.

When I turned 18 I got my CDL's and my school bus license. drove sports runs and extra trips for awhile, now driving a regular run and a vo-tech run.

In 2007, I went to a taxidermy school and have been doing taxidermy part time also since then. Take in 25-30 or so animals every year the past couple years.

Tried alittle bit of everything, finally starting to figure out what my calling is in life i guess, Untill the next big idea comes along.

Appreciation for my drafting teacher Joe Liebert, 1956-1958, Albuquerque, NM

I'm 23 years old and I'm the drafting teacher at the local high school.
My guidance counselor wedged me into Drafting in my 11th grade year. I thought it so silly, at first, that we had to turn in weekly printing practice sheet. Most of us had fair grades but for one or more other reasons needed a disciplinarian who knew how to get the best out of students and Mr. Liebert knew. About ten of us hung out after school and nights in a race car shop, that of the Unser family.

Now that I am 70 I often look back and wonder how my life might have been without learning how things work and how to repair. Then at age 36 I took Christ as my Savior. PTL!

do you ever have a layover in Cincinnati?

Not lately. That airport is just a shell of what it used to be. We do still have some flights in and out, though. I'll give you a shout next time. I bring some parts along too....

I started twisting wrenches on cars back in 1975. It didn't take long to get tired of dealing with the public so around 1978 I got a job on the OE side of the business working for a company in the Detroit area that provides engineering services to Ford, GM, Chrysler and others. Since 2003, I've been back working with the public again in the high performance engine business. We build and sell turn-key engines for hot rods, restoration vehicles and replica cars. I don't twist the wrenches anymore (too old, fat and tired). It's mostly the paperwork end of things now and yapping on the phone. Oh, and I cut and split a little wood along with my son now and then, too.

Let's see, I worked in a facility for the handicapped as a young man, went to college for Natural Resources Planning, got a job as an environmental consultant for the better part of the decade, had a midlife crisis, became an entrepeneur (coffee shops), got killed by corporate America (Starbucks), went and became a pilot, which has been a good ride so far.

Lotta great stuff in there, though... lived a lot of places, seen a lot of things, met a great gal, and despite a growing list of aches and pains, I'm in decent shape physical shape. The wife and I have put in a lot of hard work over the years, but I'm absolutely grateful to have been so fortunate to have been able to put together a good living.

Chainsaws have been around for me only since '05, though I have always enjoyed small engine repair. The hobby has provided a nice distraction for me and seems to be one of the exceedingly small list of things I do well.

Let's see, I worked in a facility for the handicapped as a young man, went to college for Natural Resources Planning, got a job as an environmental consultant for the better part of the decade, had a midlife crisis, became an entrepeneur (coffee shops), got killed by corporate America (Starbucks), went and became a pilot, which has been a good ride so far.

Lotta great stuff in there, though... lived a lot of places, seen a lot of things, met a great gal, and despite a growing list of aches and pains, I'm in decent shape physical shape. The wife and I have put in a lot of hard work over the years, but I'm absolutely grateful to have been so fortunate to have been able to put together a good living.

Chainsaws have been around for me only since '05, though I have always enjoyed small engine repair. The hobby has provided a nice distraction for me and seems to be one of the exceedingly small list of things I do well.

King Airs huh? Do you guys have any B-100's? Always thought that would be a hoot with the -10's on it.

Not lately. That airport is just a shell of what it used to be. We do still have some flights in and out, though. I'll give you a shout next time. I bring some parts along too....

Which ariline do you work for...I was with Delta for 17 years at DFW. I was laid off in 2005. I have spent many an hour at ATL waiting for a flight home.

27 Years old, started in restaurant dishes, moved to golf course maintenance, then went to trade school for automotive mechanics. I was hired by a large construction company and have been doing heavy equipment mechanics for 3 years. We build auto/train bridges, dams, power plants, paper mills, chemical factories, high tension power lines, large buildings, oil refinery modules, natural gas pumping stations, and more... I had worked on everything from Manitowoc 4100 230ton and Grove RT880 80ton rough terrain cranes down to Stihl and Dolmar cut-off saws. I was laid off a while back and have since taken up chainsaws as my new hobby. Bought a 5100s and am hooked on the power and speed. I see a larger saw in my near future. :D

Latest posts

Back