So I'm curious, what do you guys do for a living?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fascinating reading...

What an interesting group we have here on AS. One thing that struck me is how many of you are younger guys--but I don't know why I should be surprised by that. I'm on the other end of things, closing in on the big 6-0 soon. After college I was a teacher, then went to work for a motorcycle magazine road testing bikes (really!), into advertising, back into education as an administrator and now back in the bike biz.

Chainsaws are a big hobby now since I've already done plenty of bike and gun stuff. We love to go our to our hunting camp where I can pursue at least two if not three of these pastimes.

Here's a photo of me at work a while back, at Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey. But not every day is this much fun...

Olyeller

Last edited:
Electrical Engineer....have worked in the permanent magnet industry for 20 years....spend most of my time calling on Aerospace/Defense companies.

Really enjoy cutting firewood to feed the wood stove...

Retired sheriff's sergeant and wanabe urban logger, since buying cabin in snow country. Couldn't see paying $240+ per cord of wood to keep wood stove heated cabin bearable, so bought Stihl chainsaw and 27 ton log splitter. Been chasing "free" wood on Craigslist for past couple of months. Quite a thrill. Found this website, along with others, and have been having a blast ever since! Man, I love sawing wood, then splitting it. I sure hate stacking it. I can't wait to find a cheap saw to rebuild.

Retired sheriff's sergeant and wanabe urban logger, since buying cabin in snow country. Couldn't see paying $240+ per cord of wood to keep wood stove heated cabin bearable, so bought Stihl chainsaw and 27 ton log splitter. Been chasing "free" wood on Craigslist for past couple of months. Quite a thrill. Found this website, along with others, and have been having a blast ever since! Man, I love sawing wood, then splitting it. I sure hate stacking it. I can't wait to find a cheap saw to rebuild.

Do what I did to get started.Buy 2 or 3 little junk poulans off ebay or craigs.Then just have fun!!!There an easy thing to start with.Not much to them.But watch out for CAD!!!

I'm 44. I worked on farms, did a couple of years in auto glass, drove truck, ran heavy equipment and now I'm the boss at an asphalt plant.

I burn wood to heat the house and have way more chainsaws than I need. I wish I could make a living working on saws....but I better keep my day job.

Cutting wood is a great stress reliever. I'd still cut even if I didn't burn.:)

I own a business that does natural areas management and restoration. Much of my saw work is forest thinning, but I also do prairie restoration which involves total tree removal as well as controlled burning and spraying of exotic species.

Am a self employed Builder/trim carpenter. Been doing the trade for 11 years now.
Love what I do, winter sucks though, lol.
:cheers:

Retired from an oil refinery a year ago. I just went to work in a stamping plant as a robotic welder. I am also a Machinist, Millwright and Weldor. I own a business welding and doing machine work and i also make the O Scale ceilingtrains.com bridges in my spare time...Bob

I am a plastics process engineer/ tech I am 54 yrs old and have been working on small engines as a hobby since I was 14 I was laid off for about a year and a half and during that time I really started getting into chainsaw repairs. people in my area were just giving them to me as junk I have aquired some decent chainsaws that just needed a little TLC. since joining this site I have developed CAD. I do not burn wood yet but when the time comes I will be prepared.

I brew moonshine and other alcohols. Just started growing medical marijuana the last few years too.

But really, I'm 22 years old and in college for business management. I work for a local tree company as a groundie. Striving to become a climber and run my own gig. I can't seem to shake the wood chips out of my blood. I also sell firewood, do a little landscaping/lawn maintenance and flip saws/OPE.

I own Tromix Corp. We build lots and lots of 12ga shotguns like these. The FBI Hostage Rescue Team in Quantico Virginia has some, as well as SOT/SWAT teams in just about every state, along with a handful with our troops in the middle east.

I had a firewood business in California back in 1981-1983. I started it when I was 15 with my dad's dump truck, one 24" Super XL Automatic and a Lickity Splitter. My 16 year old buddy drove the truck since he had a license.

Tony Rumore
Tromix
Tromix Lead Delivery Systems

8inchLage3.jpg

8inch11ea.jpg

Last edited:
I'm currently a ranchhand. I. Do. Everything. From building fences and gates, to weeding, to stumping, to falling, to tractor repair, to home repair, truck repair, pump house repair, etc. I spend most of my time in the winter working the blow down site here that is about 3-4 acres of fir blow down, and felling and bucking wood for our 170,000 BTU water furnace. I also do the same for some neighboring ranches. I've been sawing off and on for 25 years, and started back as a teen cutting fire lines. Never again. I have a degree in Industrial Design with a minor in German, have worked as a field engineer for Cisco Systems, Cadence Design Systems, and Philips Medical(mostly oncology and radiotherapy 3d imaging systems). I also am responsible for the redesign on the CMS Ultra Sound positioning calibration system. But, nowadays, I'm a simple ranch hand...

28, IBEW electrician by trade, specializing in temperature and process control installations, instrumentation, PLC's, and the like. Started burning wood this past winter when the wife and I moved to a new house with a bit of land. Have a 6 month old boy now who takes up much of my life :), but I still have time for tinkering with tractors, chainsaws, and other man-toys...:rock:

Kevin, I'm 39 and have 3 young children:dizzy: and a beautiful wife. I have done alot of construction work, then worked in a machine shop for years until I couldn't stand the factory drama/ coolant and working indoors anymore. I sure miss access to all the equiptment.I've been an electrician for the last 12 years. I love my job, but all the work has dried up. I love tinkering with engines, especially chainsaws. My neighbors and I burn alot of wood outdoors while lifting 12oz weights.

When I first came here I had about 5 chainsaws, at one point I had over 60!:chainsaw: I also burn and saw at my cottage up north.

I own Tromix Corp. We build lots and lots of 12ga shotguns like these. The FBI Hostage Rescue Team in Quantico Virginia has some, as well as SOT/SWAT teams in just about every state, along with a handful with our troops in the middle east.

I had a firewood business in California back in 1981-1983. I started it when I was 15 with my dad's dump truck, one 24" Super XL Automatic and a Lickity Splitter. My 16 year old buddy drove the truck since he had a license.

Tony Rumore
Tromix
Tromix Lead Delivery Systems

8inchLage3.jpg

8inch11ea.jpg

DREAM JOB !!! That should help our guys over there and here !!!

I am 27, grew up workin on the farm. After college started working in a feedmill and did everything there was to do and learned the mill inside and out the four and a half years I was there and ended up the 2nd shift foreman. A month ago I got a new job workin for Norfolk Southern railroad as a laborer and hope to be a machinist by the end of the year. I have a beautiful wife and two wonderful kids, and after an outrageous electric bill I started burning wood for heat. Bad thing is I ended up with CAD so I don't know how much money I am saving anymore. I used to ride my motorcycle everyday cause it was my only mode of transportation until a fella pulled out in front of me and totaled my bike. I was fine and I have ridden since then, but just can't get interested anymore. Chainsawing is a great hobby and my wife seems to like it a lot better than the motorcycle cause it is somewhat safer in her eyes and it is "saving money" :wink2:

Back