So much for Quality Control

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wigglesworth

Booned
Reaction score
Picked up a 2007 model 2159 yesterday, that had an unfortunate meeting with a tree. It busted the air filter and mount, split the tank by the trigger, and got the top cover and the very top fin on the cylinder was pushed down a bit, but would fire up and had seemingly good comp but wouldnt idle. It does have the Walbro and the plastic clamp with the metal band on the intake. I messed with it a bit yesterday, and pulled the muffler to see this....

wigglesworth-albums546-173854.jpg

At first I thought it was cracked from the impact with the tree, but I pulled the jug, and its just a deep gouge, spanning from the very corner of the PTO side transfer, going up diagonally all the way nearly to the top. The piston showed a lot more wear on the intake side than the exhaust as well.

This obviously happened at the factory. Must have been Friday.....

Had one four months ago with the EXACT same thing on a 359. Cant remember the year but it would not idle as well. New seals and a new warrantied cylinder from Husky and away it went. Have a pic on the old laptop, will try to dig it up.

Had one four months ago with the EXACT same thing on a 359. Cant remember the year but it would not idle as well. New seals and a new warrantied cylinder from Husky and away it went. Have a pic on the old laptop, will try to dig it up.

Hmmmm....warranty you say? :)

PM sent.

Built in automatic decomp isn't it????

My 2159 has the same thing but I don’t think it’s as bad.

attachment.php

It doesn’t seem to hurt it too much though.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VmusnJrWtUk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My 2159 has the same thing but I don’t think it’s as bad.

Your's definetly isnt that bad. Im betting it's a known thing at husky/jred/whoever's camp that several of these cylinders got out with this huge gouge in it. I may just put it back together and run it. Who knows, might run forever??

Your's definetly isnt that bad. Im betting it's a known thing at husky/jred/whoever's camp that several of these cylinders got out with this huge gouge in it. I may just put it back together and run it. Who knows, might run forever??

Being thats is a jred/husqvarna, it wont hurt it....but if it was a stihl though....

Just kiddin ya wiggs.:laugh:

Being thats is a jred/husqvarna, it wont hurt it....but if it was a stihl though....

Just kiddin ya wiggs.:laugh:

Yup if those were Stihl's MCW would be right here to remind us the cylinder quality has really fallen off, don't see it with other manufacturers,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Looks like a tell-tale, snail-trail, from withdrawing their boring-tool. Probably happened right at beer thirty on a Friday afternoon. With the spiral, it probably won't hurt compression.

Looks like a tell-tale, snail-trail, from withdrawing their boring-tool. Probably happened right at beer thirty on a Friday afternoon. With the spiral, it probably won't hurt compression.

That's what I'd say to. Probably no worse than having a couple extra thou in your ring end gap.

That's what I'd say to. Probably no worse than having a couple extra thou in your ring end gap.

Possible, except for a couple of things.

1. The plating is deposited, then honed to size.

2. Tool retract is built into the G76 (or insert your own canned cycle code) fine boring cycle.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sCqCepWOPeU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I put a similar mark in my 660 bore when i was working on it. It was done when pulling a mandrel from the cylinder, by hand. Luckily it was in a $20 cylinder. Still make great compression..

Latest posts

Back