Wright Reciprocating Saw, pics and overhaul inside....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a parts identification page for the GS 5020 like you posted for the 4520?

No that scan is all I could find online. Once upon a time I found someone on ebay selling a parts sheet for a GS-5020A. I should have bought it but at the time I hadn't yet dug into mine to see if it was salvageable and didn't want to risk throwing good money after bad.

I found some pics online of wright three blade sets. looks like they came in a canvas pouch with a special file with a rounded edge so you don't gouge into the blade body when filing the teeth like I had to be real careful not to when filing mine with a square sided file.

The only blade I have is the general purpose blade that most of them have. There's a fine tooth blade for hardwood or maybe fancy cuts? And the meat blade with the small jagged teeth. Hard to imagine in this day and age someone cutting meat with a two stroke saw running at 16:1! I started mine up on an old bench outside and I had an old tire there beside it that got a nice coat of two stroke oil on it blown through the exhaust when I was on the choke when starting.

I've gotten quite a few saws to fix that had been used to cut up a moose, or chains to sharpen.
I guess a bit of oil smoke and bar oil adds to the flavor... dunno.

Had 2 of the Wright saws, can only find 1 now. Thinking maybe the old man sold it. When he was coming down to the shop he was real bad about selling something for "$20" so he could order out food... food he didn't need... like fried chicken wings, 2 liter soda and ice cream.... when the doc told him he's about to lose his feet from the beetus because of eating crap.
And then he'd complete destroy the bathroom and his pants.

He'd even do it on service work too, take in a saw or tractor, etc and tell them it'd be $20 to fix, when it might need a few hundred $$ of parts and labor!

Hmm... now that I think of it, he said $20 for a blade.... hahaha

No that scan is all I could find online. Once upon a time I found someone on ebay selling a parts sheet for a GS-5020A. I should have bought it but at the time I hadn't yet dug into mine to see if it was salvageable and didn't want to risk throwing good money after bad.
Converted the photos to pdf's, it would be nice to get the identification page for the GS 5020 diagram

Attachments

• 4520 ipl.pdf
    495.4 KB · Views: 28
  • GS 5020 om ipl.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
lol sounds like a nice steak seasoned by a wright and a bottle of dr. pepper would make his day. maybe 2 stroke oil is good for his beetus.

As coincidence would have it, I stumbled across a GS4520 a couple days ago that's still in respectable shape and the price was definitely right ($25). Has great compression, but no spark. It'll be a "one of these days" project on a shelf for the time being. At least it's on my shelf now. LOL

Much appreciation for all the documentation posted here, also. Very cool of you guys to take the time.

0518181919_resized.jpg

0518181920_resized.jpg

My GS5020 will only run if I remove the air filter, seems it is pretty plugged up and even with the ultrasonic cleaner it won't pass enough air to let the engine run. I once raced a Mini Mac...let's just say the 115 cc's weren't enough.

View attachment 653752

Mark
Good find and nice work. I have a few of the Wright blade saws and while I'm not impressed with cutting logs, the engineering is interesting. I think there was a guy in Tennessee who had a lot of parts for these. I think his name was Ray Parrish.
Yes it was Buford Parrish from Louisville, Kentucky. Also called Ray. Was distributor for Wright and the last I knew he still has parts. He is now in Prospect, Ky. 502-228-1462. chainsawlady

great info on this thread, I vote for it to be put in the chainsaw stickies!

I just got an old GS5020.. Seized solid but I got it apart.. Need a few things for it.. Anyone know what the main bearing part number is? What about piston rings? 2.5x1/8th ought to be in lots of applications

I'm planning on restoring this in memory of the previous owner, Neal Wright.. figure it would be fitting.. As much as it might just be a wall hanger, I would like to say it runs.. It's in pretty decent condition otherwise, nothing bent or broken.. Sure dirty when I got it, cleaned up alright
Recoil might be toast.. I might be in for a new blade, probably prefer a finer tooth one..

20180702_234339.jpg

No part numbers to help you with but in the hastings catalog I saw a listing for an outboard set of piston rings with the same bore and ring thickness. Timken has a pretty good catalog, you might be able to match something up by dimensions. Recoil in these is pretty straightforward.

Oh I'm sure the bearings are easy to get by dimension. probably something like a 6300 or whatever.. Going to have fun getting them out though, they're seized in good, nearly broke the ignition mount boss trying to get a drift in there cockeyed to hammer it out.. going to need some heat on it. I'll check out the hastings catalog for rings, maybe our local parts store can get them in

are you sure the bearings are bad? Ive saved really gritty bearings by flushing them thoroughly in the solvent tank then in atf then more flushing in the solvent tank. They do look close to a 6300 bearing, I would imagine even a cheapie bearing would do for how much use the saw is likely to see.

They were rusted so bad they spun on the shaft rather than turned.. That's how bad they were! Saw won't see much use.. A memorial wall-hanger for a friend.. big end needles ought to be replaced too, perhaps, if I knew what U joint had a similar needle I could cut them down in length and make that work.. I think I can salvage the cylinder with enough honing... Might order up a set of rings.. go a little oversize and file them to fit, done that on a few other engines and they worked fine.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Unless you're itching for a project she sounds like a wall hanger candidate.

Oh it'll run again.. Maybe it'll run on 1 ring and be a little sloppy for now... but it'll at least make some noise.
I was kinda surprised to find a cast iron piston in there.. that blob certainly doesn't help with the weight of the saw!

Hi I have a Wright saw Model B520 No spark ?? I bough a carb kit and rebuilt it. I have 60 lbs of compression. Can i fine parts for ignition on this Model?? Cabin1 you can email me or post info on this site Email- [email protected]

have you pulled the flywheel to see if it has a removable ignition assembly like mine? I would start by cleaning and resetting the ignition point and all connections. are you checking for spark with your finger holding open the throttle? these saws kill spark when you let the trigger down to idle unless you move the trigger to the left as you let off in order to bypass the automatic kill.

Latest posts

Back