So tell me how you really feel about the 550xp.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Reaction score
lets condense all the nonsense into one thread.. whats going price on them and who would buy them again? Anyone run on and not like it? I'm seriously thinking about getting one, but i don't need one...

I'm looking at them too.

Can't decide whether I want to spend money and send my 346 out to be ported, or just buy a new 550. :confused:

i wold vote port the 346 but im a biased opinion when it comes to port work lol

I ran the 346 for years, stock and ported. Now running the 550xp, no problems whatsoever. I plan to buy another with heated handles. My main use is pine thinnings. Four loads cut so far with this saw, it is very easy on fuel, and the body, compared to the 346.

I would not use one in large wood, but i have a few other saws for that. I paid just over $500 from my pusher(dealer)

attachment.php

it fits well into the norm for all huskies........it is light and fast, when it will actually run that is:msp_smile::msp_smile::msp_smile:

I think you'll like them Steve. Most of the people that's ever ran the 550s and 562s that I've talked to really like them. They's been 2 I think thats had a bad carb right out of the box, but that's possible on any saw. They are smoother and have a wider powerband and offer more torque over a 346 IMO. I think that with the right porting they could be made to walk on a ported 346, but like anything else it will take some playing to find the sweet spot on a new model, My opinion anyways.:)

After spending the day with my 562xp. I needed something lighter to clean up the smaller 10" stuff so I went to the local husky dealer to look at the 346xp but they were out. He said that 550xp would be replacing the 346xp. So I bought the 550xpg the only one they had. I took it home and on the second pull she started. I cut for half a day and clean up the small stuff. I am very happy with this saw.

I'd buy one again, it runs like a scalded dog. I'll be honest and say IMO it's doesn't need porting. I run a 18" Pro-Lite w/.325 and a 7pin sprocket. It always starts at least on the third pull and cranks hot without fast idle. With just a modest m/m it's a charm to run. Best thing is I don't have to mess with the tune. I've got about 6 or 8 tanks on her and it sips fuel. :rock:

Probably the most impressive out of the box saw Ive ran. I broke mine in per Husky, it starts as easy as it gets. No carb trouble whatsoever. Dual ported the muffler, and I cant get over how fast and how much torque it has. I havent cut with anything else since Ive owned it. In my opinion, its knocking on my 262's door (one of my favorite saws of all time).

I love my 550xp and I'm one of the very few that's had any issues. From what I've read on AS, the only people who knock it are the ones who haven't used one. Mine is in the shop right now for warm/hot start issues, all that info is in 2 threads I started, so I won't repeat myself. As far as how much I like it, well when it wasn't in the shop the 346xp and Stihl 261 didn't get picked up very often, and I'm not trying to take anything away from those 2 saws, but IMHO the 550xp is just that much better. If I had it to do all over again, I would still purchase the 550xp, I can't wait to get it back.

I guess I'll let the cat out of the bag.... I bought a super low use one today about 2:00 this afternoon. It should be here by weds thanks to an awesome member here. I'll let him speak up if he wants too. I got what i thought was a fair price and has only had a few tankfuls through it. hopefully i can sell my low hour 5100 to recover the 550 costs... I'm hoping this fills the void between the OE 346 and what I think it should be... lol

photobucket-1165-1342126153121.jpg

photobucket-2213-1353809366201.jpg

photobucket-20406-1353809385947.jpg

photobucket-25413-1353809412802.jpg

I'm glad I got one runs great run it for a while then mod the muffler and you got a new saw and your smile every time you start it

Fantastic saw. Runs very strong stock and I can't wait to mm here in the next week or two. No starting issues at all using the advice given on AS (high idle hot starts).

I guess I'll let the cat out of the bag.... I bought a super low use one today about 2:00 this afternoon. It should be here by weds thanks to an awesome member here. I'll let him speak up if he wants too. I got what i thought was a fair price and has only had a few tankfuls through it. hopefully i can sell my low hour 5100 to recover the 550 costs... I'm hoping this fills the void between the OE 346 and what I think it should be... lol
Congrats. Saw that one too, looked to be a cherry saw. :rock:

well i knew what kind of cat was in the bag becouse the guy you got it from was at my place today doing some trading and playing with some alkie saws. hope you enjoy your new purchase,you got it from one of as's good ol boys.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back