So tell me how you really feel about the 550xp.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll always have two or three 372's kicking around. Well, when you don't need any of them but one...and you have thousands wrapped up in saws and parts and then you become a new home owner. I've got a bunch of stuff to fix/repair/upgraded on the house and that takes money i don't have... kinda like a new wood burning insert for my ineffiecient fireplace...lol

And i'm sure i'll tear it apart after running it a tank or two and set the squish and widen, smooth ports, etc

Well, I can certainly understand that! I've sold saws to pay for other important things, like a LCD TV. I'm not a new homeowner so thats not a problem. But I was at one time and I certainly know where your coming from!! Sometimes I get on a kick to clean out the garage and sell some stuff, this year I've sold more saws then I ever have, but for some reason, I always get more to replace the ones I sold, usually sell one 4 or 5 more replace them, weird how that works. Actually I've never had more good running work saws ever then I do now.

Randy built a 550, 2153, and 261 and did a thread...guess which one was fastest????? Hint: it wasn't the first or last one in the list.

I know where you are going with that, but to play the devils advocate, this one is brand new... that was Randy's first crack at it, correct? (no disrespect to him at all) but who is to say that there isn't more in it? i know people have had their hands inside the 346 off and on for 5-6 years. What I'm saying is this is a brand new saw, and maybe it doesn't take well to the same "general thinking" as the rest of the conventional non strato saws. Think the 7900 that people said didn't take well to mods.... :hmm3grin2orange: i've got a 7300 here that freakin rips...

I still thank a 550 could be made to walk over 346. It would probably take wrecking a few cylinders to find it though. Jmo. Look at the 562s vs the 365s. Take the 441s for example.....when they came out they werent even worth buying much less porting :msp_sneaky:, and look at them now.

Well what are you waiting for Durand. Get to it and let us know what works!

That's what I came to find out about the 372 XT... I was surprised how everyone here didn't "like" them.. It took well to mods, has more torque than the old 372 and get almost twice the fuel milelage.. i was very impressed with the gains froms the little bit of work...

I'd like to see some more builds done on the X-Torq 372, including heads up comparisons to the originals. Much like the 550 vs 346 discussion, the old models have a huge head start in porting trial 'n error.

Well what are you waiting for Durand. Get to it and let us know what works!

I by no means am saying I can, just saying I think it could be done. So far theys only been a handfull of them ported......and 2 ported comparisions.

Last edited:
I know where you are going with that, but to play the devils advocate, this one is brand new... that was Randy's first crack at it, correct? (no disrespect to him at all) but who is to say that there isn't more in it? i know people have had their hands inside the 346 off and on for 5-6 years. What I'm saying is this is a brand new saw, and maybe it doesn't take well to the same "general thinking" as the rest of the conventional non strato saws. Think the 7900 that people said didn't take well to mods.... :hmm3grin2orange: i've got a 7300 here that freakin rips...

I agree and almost put that caveat into my post.

What you have in the 550 is a slightly lighter, slightly stronger, and a more fuel efficient saw that uses a technology that isn't perfected and needs a laptop to fix.

I like the 550, and will probably own one in the not-to-distant future. But for now, the 346 is a very hard product to replace.

I'd like to see some more builds done on the X-Torq 372, including heads up comparisons to the originals. Much like the 550 vs 346 discussion, the old models have a huge head start in porting trial 'n error.

Me too.. I am by no mean a prefessional porter.. I have to pay someone to machine my stuff as i don't have a mill or lathe. I know how an old two stroke works and have been inside a bunch of saws. If I can make the new one run better than the equivalent mods done to the old one then I'm sure some of the real builders can really make one rip. It (XT) definately has more torque to run a longer a bar in hardwoods than an old one. I can only image what a machine piston and port aggressive port work would do to the strato saw. I actually aquired this saw expecting it needing a topend, but it has bad bearings and looked like it had been flooded by water (WTF). so my plan to put a old topend on it changed and thought i'd try it out and was more surprised with it than anything after hearing all the negatives about it here..

I have personally never liked small saws, except the 200T. They are starting to look more and more attractive. My favorite saw is still a 372 with 24-28" bar, even for cutting small wood.

I have personally never liked small saws, except the 200T. They are starting to look more and more attractive. My favorite saw is still a 372 with 24-28" bar, even for cutting small wood.

yes the 372 has always been my favorite saw.... hard to choose just one... the 550 will have big shoes to fill... :msp_tongue:

3ED47132-7C01-4869-AE2F-EEDC9D185E63-361-000001E9DBE805A4.jpg

I can't say enough good things about my 550xp. With a MM, it is one sweet handling, angry SOB. The power to weight ratio is highly impressive, and I am continually impressed with how well it just does about everything. Love the AT.

It really takes about 10-20 tanks to "wake up" which seems like forever since it sips fuel.

my 550xp showed up today, and enough day light to empty a tank through it. Put a 16" Windsor bar with and off the reel carton A1 full round chisel on it and ground out the gullets (need too on brand new cartlton chain). HOLY effin sheeet. This thing RIPPPPPPS. This saw isn't going anywhere...... it is stock with a muffler mod and only about 6-7 tanks of fuel through it so far and I just put one through it. honestly couldn't believe how well this thing on fuel is either. If this thing runs this good now, can't imagine how welll it is going to run with some time on it and tighting up the squish and cleaning up the ports...

5DD51809-0609-4615-A8DA-141B72E99137-3629-0000086359AE97A1.jpg

1F6CAB63-D585-4422-BF63-DA28E59E01CB-3629-0000086363BD0B27.jpg

023A0CDD-D62D-4739-9036-F688032D17B1-3629-00000863692A4ECF.jpg

39A3486A-A0FA-498F-9F95-3FDC1ADE6B71-3629-00000863917F09CE.jpg

E71FB6B7-6F4F-4A0D-9AB9-336CBFC29B7D-3629-00000863376BA369.jpg

This might be my two favorite saws right here... and yes that is one of those "crappy" X torq's...

92DBEEB7-B740-439F-86E1-A1939DFEDB4B-3629-0000086354572A87.jpg

sure is....

A8BB5C68-7EB7-4763-A977-0801B7C87B04-1388-000002E4EE13648C.jpg

a few summers ago on display inside summit racing's showroom on the turn tables

B15.jpg

B22.jpg

B25.jpg

03cobraatsummit033.jpg

The only thing this saw needs is a polished total super bar (tsumara). she ripped up a bunch of huge pin oak rounds at dark with the bar buried. I was purely amazed how high she held the R's in the cut. This saw is a little sweetheart, even though she runs like like a red headed slut

Man...now thats a garage.

Always been a fan of the terminator. If I hadn't sprung for the Lightning first I'd surley have one.

Trade it for your 550xp;)

Randy built a 550, 2153, and 261 and did a thread...guess which one was fastest????? Hint: it wasn't the first or last one in the list.

No, and the 261 was a somewhat distant third, even though more work was done on it - but remember that there may be more to learn about porting the 550xp....

Back